AAF in serious danger of folding. UPDATE: AAF Suspends ALL Operations!

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2828148-aaf-allegedly-could-be-discontinued-if-nflpa-doesnt-provide-young-players

Apparently a decision could come in a matter of days on its future.  Without a deal with the NFLPA, it’s apparently in trouble and could be discontinued.  

UPDATE:  http://www.espn.com/espn/story/_/id/26423928/aaf-suspends-operations-polian-disappointed

All operations officially suspended!

Edited by Alphadawg7

1 minute ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

how or why does one pony up $250 mil and we're talking life support two weeks later?. ...Madoff was his advisor??...........

I think it’s probably a remake of Brewster’s Millions adjusted for inflation. That’s all I got....

• Haha (+1) 4

27 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Ah, unions.

Not wanting their membership to be shipped off to expose themselves to increased risk of injury for minimal additional compensation?  The union protecting the wages of the bottom fringes of their membership by preventing 2 way contracts like the NHL has and maintaining things like the practice squad? The AAF pays considerably less than the NFL does. How exactly does having young NFL players help the AAF? They pay everyone exactly the same. The only way it helps is if it's a loan situation where the NFL team send the player and foots most if not all of the bill so the AAF can reduce its wage bill. That actually reduces the number of football jobs available for everyone and, as I said increases the exposure of the most vulnerable members of the NFLPA. You are on a futures contract and your team tells you they want you to go to the AAF. The pay difference is very close to zero if not actually zero. What are you going to do? Say no? It isn't the NFLPA fault that the longterm AAF business model depended upon treating the bottom tier of players more like livestock than they already are.

There is a reason these things are bargained.  You want something, you give up something.  The NFLPA could care less whether or not the AAF lives or dies, there is ZERO benefit to the NFLPA in helping them survive unless the AAF becomes a union shop.

Edited by That's No Moon
  • Like (+1) 4

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

This thread is about to be folded into the other one of the exact same topic.

I didn’t see a thread dedicated to this story.  There is a 33 page AAF thread for general convo, but many of us stopped going to it to talk AAF games we aren’t watching.  This is a specific story to discuss, not the games and all that stuff.

• Like (+1) 7
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Not surprised 

its been destined to fail unfortunately... the NFL is not MLB or NBA... it doesn’t need a developmental feeder league 

and there isn’t enough high end talent to consider it a development league...

its a spring football league 

Edited by Buffalo716

1 minute ago, Augie said:

Failing does not surprise me at all. Failing so soon shocks me! What were they thinking? How did this go so wrong so fast??? 

They rushed the league trying to beat McMahon’s...

they were done before they started ... they rushed it into existence in like 1.5 years ... no due diligence 

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I didn’t see a thread dedicated to this story.  There is a 33 page AAF thread for general convo, but many of us stopped going to it to talk AAF games we aren’t watching.  This is a specific story to discuss, not the games and all that stuff.

Funny, You started it.

• Haha (+1) 6

4 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

They rushed the league trying to beat McMahon’s...

they were done before they started ... they rushed it into existence in like 1.5 years ... no due diligence 

Hmmm, so who’s the fool now? 

..somehow I think the ONLY successful football merger we will see in our lifetime is the NFL-AFL in 1970.......NFL has become a $12+ BILLION dollar cash cow and doesn't need to be bothered with these "frivolities"....how many years have MLB and NHL had extensive minor league developmental systems?......and the NFL has??.....perhaps NCAA was thought to be their "developmental league (free of charge).......but the focus of college ball is butts in the seats, happy happy megabucks boosters and mega million dollar bowl payouts versus getting players "pro ready" for the NFL style game......probably dead wrong and too old, but don't see it changing any time soon.....instead, they'll be focusing on the strong potential for labor strife when CBA expires......

• Like (+1) 1