Hockenson at #9 Change My Mind

5 hours ago, #34fan said:

Look, from day 1 Hockenson helps us move the chains.  If he's anywhere near what he was in college, the Bills start moving the chains AT-WILL.. Which, in case no one's paying attention, is exactly what the Patriots do to us. (Every single time :wallbash:)    No matter who your pick is at 9,  you can't ignore that type of ability on draft day.

I see Hock as a bona-fide All Pro just like Q Nelson from last yrs draft. Hock will have a major effect on the lucky team that takes him.  He's a baller and ballers no matter the position should go high in the draft. 

Teams that live by those old crusty rules of not taking certain positions high in the draft those are the same teams that will be wishing they had Hock on there team the next 10yrs. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, BillsFan1988 said:

Everyone keeps saying trade back and take Hock . It's not happening he won't be there. The Pack will take him at #12 no doubt about it. 

You have to watch out with the trade backs - it is easy for any other team who wants a player to leap frog you. The only problem I have with Hock is that more than likely there will be a blue chip DL/OL players there that you shouldn't pass up if you are truly BPA; if any QBs get taken before us, the chances for top tier talent is there for our picking.  

I want a TE as much as anyone, but I couldn't take Hock over an OT/Oliver at 9. I'm thinking we might not make it to Hock, but Fant or the guy from Notre Dame may be a good target for us and more realistic for us to get. 

2 hours ago, Reed83HOF said:

You have to watch out with the trade backs - it is easy for any other team who wants a player to leap frog you. The only problem I have with Hock is that more than likely there will be a blue chip DL/OL players there that you shouldn't pass up if you are truly BPA; if any QBs get taken before us, the chances for top tier talent is there for our picking.  

I want a TE as much as anyone, but I couldn't take Hock over an OT/Oliver at 9. I'm thinking we might not make it to Hock, but Fant or the guy from Notre Dame may be a good target for us and more realistic for us to get. 

I see Hock as a blue chip TE . Let me ask u this question what's more difficult to add to your team an elite TE or DE? I see elite DE getting traded or on the block for a trade . U never see elite TEs in there prime even being mentioned in a deal.  Once a team has 1 they don't even think about letting him go.  I realize a elite pass rusher on the Dline is essential to a team but elite TEs are not in abundance.  It's a supply and demand sort of thing. 

I’m not into taking a TE in the top 10. The best TEs in the league were all taken outside the 1st rd. I dont think he’s that special to warrant that high of a pick given who else may be there. Maybe if the trade down later in the 1st but even then I’m not sold on him that high. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Gotta be Hockenson at 9.  Brought in Ed Oliver early as a smoke screen.  Bean's reputation relies on Josh Allen succeeding. He would be the biggest help to Allen's development for his blocking and pass catching ability.  Plus he will help with Allen's completion percentage with additional short and intermediate throws which is in line with the way the NFL is trending.

12 minutes ago, Bad Things Man said:

Gotta be Hockenson at 9.  Brought in Ed Oliver early as a smoke screen.  Bean's reputation relies on Josh Allen succeeding. He would be the biggest help to Allen's development for his blocking and pass catching ability.  Plus he will help with Allen's completion percentage with additional short and intermediate throws which is in line with the way the NFL is trending.

This is a good point. To some degree, both McDermott and Beane's careers at this stage, and with the Bills, is directly tied to Allen playing well and becoming a franchise QB for 10+ years whether they are still here or not. If Allen plays well, they are never going to suck, and if he turns into a stud, the team could excel. The best way for that to happen is to give him a lot of weapons, and a good TE can do a world of good. Granted, a great defense helps a QB in a lot of ways, too. But there is something to the perception is reality element to this. If Beane nails the QB pick he is going to have a long tenure here. He may not consciously make decisions based on that and just load up on offensive guys with disregard for the defense, and to some degree this is McDermott's team, but it could be a factor. 

15 minutes ago, Canadian Bills Fan said:

Agreed. But I want him for the Bills which also is a main reason why I think he will end up in NE

I think it’s more likely that Belichick trades his 1st round pick for a vet TE than draft one. I wonder who he will get. 

10 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I think it’s more likely that Belichick trades his 1st round pick for a vet TE than draft one. I wonder who he will get. 

Top TEs are:

Rk Player Team Pos Rec Yds Avg Yds/G Lng TD 20+ 40+ 1st 1st% FUM
1 Zach Ertz PHI TE 116 1,163 10.0 72.7 34 8 13 0 66 56.9 1
2 Travis Kelce KC TE 103 1,336 13.0 83.5 43 10 18 2 68 66.0 2
3 George Kittle SF TE 88 1,377 15.6 86.1 85T 5 20 6 60 68.2 0
4 Austin Hooper ATL TE 71 660 9.3 41.2 36 4 7 0 30 42.3 0
5 Jared Cook OAK TE 68 896 13.2 56.0 45 6 15 1 46 67.6 0
6 Eric Ebron IND TE 66 750 11.4 46.9 53T 13 7 1 39 59.1 0
7 Kyle Rudolph MIN TE 64 634 9.9 39.6 44T 4 6 1 32 50.0 0
8 David Njoku CLE TE 56 639 11.4 39.9 66 4 9 2 27 48.2 0
9 Jimmy Graham GB TE 55 636 11.6 39.8 54 2 7 1 32 58.2 0
10 Trey Burton CHI TE 54 569 10.5 35.6 47 6 7 1 29 53.7 1

Feels like Hock.  There have been several mentions from McBeane on the importance of a TE, especially for a young QB.  They saw Greg Olsen up close with Cam in Carolina.  Daboll saw how Brady used Gronk as his security blanket.  If he's there at 9 I think they run the card in then the draft starts after that for us.  I don't believe any of the olinemen have separated vs what'll be available at 40 and an argument could be made the same is true for the DL depending on who is there.

• Like (+1) 3

If we're staying at #9 I want to go away with a guy who's a multiple time Pro Bowler/All Pro guy and only Ed Oliver and TJ Hockenson fit that bill for me. Positional value my buttocks! 

Hockenson would be Allen's best friend and he's a three down player that helps us running the ball too. I'm all for it.

On 3/19/2019 at 10:28 AM, Reed83HOF said:

I use to be the positional value guy even at the start of this offseason but there's no OL(Taylor, Ford, Williams) that I like more than Hockenson. He really is this year's Quenton Nelson. A future All Pro guy at a de-valued position.