Raiders trade G Kelechi Osemele to Jets

6 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Well, I don't know what "people" would be saying, but when I floated the idea of offering a 4th for this exact player 3 months ago nobody took issue.

Then you would’ve overpaid for him.  I assume anyone who wanted him could’ve offered a 5th straight up and had him.  

1 minute ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Then you would’ve overpaid for him.  I assume anyone who wanted him could’ve offered a 5th straight up and had him.  

Apparently...but as a team with 10 draft picks, $80M in cap space, and a MASSIVE need for veteran OL talent, I'd have been willing to do so.

And that wasn't really the point. The greater point is that this is more or less a risk-free move to acquire a guy one-year removed from being a top-3 guard...yet you feel like fans who ask why our GM doesn't make these types of moves deserve to be criticized.

Who's wrong here?

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

I was just thinking that I wondered if the Bills had interest - Bobby Johnson was his coach in Oakland at one time. Maybe he influenced them going another direction, if they did inquire. 

1 minute ago, thebandit27 said:

Apparently...but as a team with 10 draft picks, $80M in cap space, and a MASSIVE need for veteran OL talent, I'd have been willing to do so.

And that wasn't really the point. The greater point is that this is more or less a risk-free move to acquire a guy one-year removed from being a top-3 guard...yet you feel like fans who ask why our GM doesn't make these types of moves deserve to be criticized.

Who's wrong here?

I’m saying wait until free agency and the draft are over to criticize.  Seems kind of premature to criticize Beane about this move because you thought of it.  

2 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

I’m saying wait until free agency and the draft are over to criticize.  Seems kind of premature to criticize Beane about this move because you thought of it.  

I actually didn't criticize Beane. 

I said that I was disappointed that a very good player went to a division rival for a literal pittance when this team has a bigger need.

FA could certainly bring a haul on the OL, there's decent market volume, but you're competing against the league, and you have the worst offense in football to offer in a city that's largely perceived as being relatively undesirable by players.

A trade, on the other hand, leaves nothing to chance.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SCBills said:

They drafted the biggest boom/bust prospect in the draft at QB.  

Beane was moving and shaking all over the place last year.  

But all of a sudden hes a cautious beta afraid to pull the trigger because the Jets traded for a Guard... Got it. 

You are debating a person who would have been critical of the Bills no matter the outcome.  Save your fingers.

35 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Who's wrong here?

free agency hasnt even started?  And we have already been active?

Real good trade from the Jets. Specially if it comes with no new money. 

1 hour ago, Buffalo30 said:

I guess the entire offseason is already over and Beane didn't add a single player to our team.  Antonio Brown was a unique situation.  He very obviously didn't want to be in the city of Buffalo, end of discussion.  Patience is a virtue my friend.  Take a breath and drink some water.  Haven't even gotten to signing period yet lol.  Offseason anticipation disease has set into a lot of fans and has for months.  Don't worry the wait is almost over haha.  Getting this ridiculous over a handful of moves so far is just a classic Buffalo fan response.  You do realize there are 1,700 players in the league and trades happen all the way up through past september right? Can we get some level-headed fans up in here please.  

That is what happens when your Offseason essentially starts at the Beginning of November. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, John from Riverside said:

free agency hasnt even started?  And we have already been active?

John, this isn't about trashing the GM or claiming all is lost.

The point, which I'll now have stated at least thrice in this thread, is that this is the type of ultra low risk/high reward move that a savvy GM should be making every now and again.

To see it happen within our own division is disappointing when the Bills have more picks and equal cap room.

Yes, FA hasn't started, but EVERY team can make FA offers, and how likely is Buffalo to be at the top of a player's desired destinations?

Trades don't leave that up to chance.

Just now, thebandit27 said:

John, this isn't about trashing the GM or claiming all is lost.

The point, which I'll now have stated at least thrice in this thread, is that this is the type of ultra low risk/high reward move that a savvy GM should be making every now and again.

To see it happen within our own division is disappointing when the Bills have more picks and equal cap room.

Yes, FA hasn't started, but EVERY team can make FA offers, and how likely is Buffalo to be at the top of a player's desired destinations?

Trades don't leave that up to chance.

OK I see your point....but is Bean not have already made these types of low risk/high reward type moves (some of them not working out)

And I view the OG/OC Long in much the same way....he is one year removed from receiving a big contract from the jets.....we bring him in on a much lesser contract and if he works out then it was low risk/high reward.

I actually like the OG you are talking about a lot......but just think there will be more players available to us once again my whole thing is not looking at what other teams do.....but what does OUR team do.

47 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Who's wrong here?

Perhaps Beane and co. already know they have an OG coming in the next couple days so they didn't need to make this particular trade.   We shall see.

46 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I was just thinking that I wondered if the Bills had interest - Bobby Johnson was his coach in Oakland at one time. Maybe he influenced them going another direction, if they did inquire. 

Could be.

Loved KO when he was on the Ravens, but I don't really care one way or another about him now... you can almost file this under "I've heard of him, get it done."

2 minutes ago, purple haze said:

Perhaps Beane and co. already know they have an OG coming in the next couple days so they didn't need to make this particular trade.   We shall see.

Sure, that's a good point.

1 minute ago, Rico said:

Could be.

Loved KO when he was on the Ravens, but I don't really care one way or another about him now... you can almost file this under "I've heard of him, get it done."

Same player, bad scheme last year.

Sure, that's a good point.

Same player, bad scheme last year.

Could be, too.  I do think though if he was the same player that he was on the Ravens, Raiders could've gotten a lot more than they did for him.

• Like (+1) 1

Since the departure of Wood/Glenn/Incognito the general consensus around here is that we need to upgrade the OL.

We have cap space, the draft doesn't appear to be loaded with offensive lineman and the Raiders were looking to dump salary after the AB signing. Could have filled a hole before free agency and the draft. 

Not sure what the plan to rebuild the OL is, but this feels like a miss. I hope I'm wrong.

• Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

Since the departure of Wood/Glenn/Incognito the general consensus around here is that we need to upgrade the OL.

We have cap space, the draft doesn't appear to be loaded with offensive lineman and the Raiders were looking to dump salary after the AB signing. Could have filled a hole before free agency and the draft. 

Not sure what the plan to rebuild the OL is, but this feels like a miss. I hope I'm wrong.

We HAVE DONE THAT

Not all of it....more to be done....but we didnt bring Chris Long in to ride the bench.   He is a capable OG

7 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

We HAVE DONE THAT

Not all of it....more to be done....but we didnt bring Chris Long in to ride the bench.   He is a capable OG

They paid Spencer Long backup money. He's a contingency plan in case they don't secure 3 new starters between FA and the draft.

They paid Spencer Long backup money. He's a contingency plan in case they don't secure 3 new starters between FA and the draft.

I dont care about the money.....I care about the production.

He was very good with the skins......and when he has played OG in his career he has been a more then service starter on teams....he is a instant upgrade to OUR team.....

I dont want to give up on Teller...who has had his moments

A center and a RT with the addition of Long and this OL looks much different.

6 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

True the Bills have been spending money and not getting anything for it.........McBeane's free agent class last year was horrifying.......9 guys signed and no hits.

But was thinking more along the lines of maneuvering..........like last year at this time the board was distraught as the Jets surprisingly were able to trade up to #3 with the Colts and get the pick of non-Mayfield QB's.    That stung........and Darnold is good.  He clearly outplayed Allen in their meeting last year.    It's easy to see Darnold is to Auston Matthews as Allen is to Eichel.........everyone outside of Buffalo sees Darnold as the better prospect the same way Matthews is universally recognized as the better player.

It's all gotta' play out yet though and hopefully the Jets go off course and the Bills get back on track.

what about Robert Foster...Levi Wallace....?