Adam Schefter (who had perfect view from press box) says Music City Miracle was forward pass

Logic

I believe it was the last time I every broke something in my house watching the Bills.  But honestly, who cares?  It was an amazing play call.

also, on kickoff team, I was the 2nd guy from the sideline.  Your job there is to stay outside the hashmarks; don’t chase the ball; and wait for reverses/ throwbacks.  Your instinct is to chase the ball but it is a super important job and because whoever the contain person was then, cost the Bills a playoff win.

oh and RJ completely sucked that game. 

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Jackie Chiles?

Your heart?  ?

The Bills are like your girlfriend who cheats on you every week but she says sorry and you forgive her. Now when she cheats, it doesn’t bother you anymore because your heart can’t be broken anymore. :( 

Edited by C.Biscuit97
  • Haha (+1) 2

Me pacing around the house saying “it’s NOT over, it’s NOT over....” in Rain Man fashion is a classic family story. My boys learned an important life lesson that day. 

Edited by Augie

2 hours ago, Logic said:

The always awesome TheAthletic.com just posted a piece in which multiple analysts/players discuss the most indelible game memories they have witnessed in their respective careers. The whole piece is interesting, but I'll just highlight the segment about the Bills and the play in question, courtesy of Adam Schefter:

Adam Schefter, ESPN

In 30 years covering the NFL, there aren’t many press box seats as memorable as the one assigned to me as a reporter for the Denver Post on Jan. 8, 2000 for the wild-card game at what’s now LP Field between the Buffalo Bills and Tennessee Titans.

It was directly above the 25-yard line. From directly beneath that press box seat came one of the most storied plays in NFL postseason history.

Moments after Bills kicker Steve Christie booted a 41-yard field goal in the closing seconds, Titans fullback Lorenzo Neal caught the ensuing kickoff and handed it to tight end Frank Wycheck, who ran along the 25-yard line, directly beneath my press box seat. Wycheck stepped back to his left and threw a jump-pass to Titans wide receiver Kevin Dyson, who took off 75 yards for the game-winning score.

Madness erupted. Tennessee celebrated. Officials huddled and, eventually, ruled.

In their opinion, the pass was a backward legal lateral.

Only it wasn’t. Their decision should have been overturned and/or overruled.

There wasn’t— and still isn’t — a game official, TV camera, replay booth or single person who had a better view than I did of the play that unfolded directly beneath me. Two trusted and reliable sources confirmed to me it was a forward lateral.

My left eye and my right eye.

Each — with condolences to Buffalo and its tremendous fans — reported it was an undisputed forward lateral. Officials did not see it that way, but officials did not have my prime seat for the play that still is being replayed, over and over, 19 years later.

Instead, the play sent the Bills home and the Titans to the divisional round and eventually the Super Bowl.

There will be more memorable and historical moments, plays that send teams on or send them home. There will be plays that children remember as adults, and adults carry with them the rest of their lives. There always are. The joy that single plays can bring to certain cities is directly proportionate to the misery the same play can bring to other cities. Just ask Buffalo.

Now, 19 years have come and gone since a forward pass dubbed the “Music City Miracle” ended the Bills’ season.

In all that time, nothing has changed the fact that on Jan. 8, 2000, the Titans’ season should have ended and the Bills’ should have continued.

Eyes don’t lie.

Well, I love you Adam Schefter!!

Also, I heard Goodell has the power to replay a game...:pirate:

15 minutes ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

I know one thing. I'll never forget robo sack running around with his sock dangling and kearse on him like flies on stink all game

Or that moron running out of the endzone for a safety...

And there are people who actually will defend this turd pile and say he played better than Flutie would have LMAO

29 minutes ago, BillsFan1988 said:

Till this day I still wonder why Wade just didn't take the clock down and spike it with 3secs left. Christie was one of the best kickers in the league if not the best and he was money in critical situations.  Being worried about a bad snap is just loser mentality. 

Very true. I know some people don't like analytics, but this would not be done in today's NFL. Christie's kick should have been the final play of the game.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Augie said:

Me pacing around the house saying “it’s NOT over, it’s NOT over....” in Rain Man fashion is a classic family story. My boys learned an important life lesson that day. 

You don't count on #@$! until it is done and over with, and then you still wait for a flag 15 minutes later or a call against us.

• Thank you (+1) 1

The thing about both this play and the No Goal play, is that in both cases, the Bills and Sabres failed to do their jobs.  Yes, it's true, they were cheated by the refs because both plays were called wrong.  But, the Bills failed to contain the away side of the field on the kickoff, after failing to run the clock down so there would be no time for a kickoff play.  And, just before Brett Hull scored that illegal goal, a Sabre came right past him and tried to poke check the puck away, instead of body-checking Hull.  Also, to be fair, the Sabres were exhausted and hadn't had a decent scoring chance for an hour of playing time.  Every time someone would summon up a burst of energy and attempt a play at the Stars end, their huge defensemen would swat him down and the puck would be coming back.  Even if the No Goal hadn't happened, or hadn't counted, it seems really unlikely it would have made a difference in the outcome.

Rob Johnson did OK in that game.  Maybe Flutie would have been better.  Johnson left the field after leading the Bills to a lead in the final seconds, that should have been enough to win.  I told a friend before that game that I thought whichever team won, would go to the SB that year.  It turned out it was the Titans who went, and they came within one tackle that they couldn't break of winning the game.  

Edited by Utah John
typo
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Utah John said:

The thing about both this play and the No Goal play, is that in both cases, the Bills and Sabres failed to do their jobs.  Yes, it's true, they were cheated by the refs because both plays were called wrong.  But, the Bills failed to contain the away side of the field on the kickoff, after failing to run the clock down so there would be no time for a kickoff play.  And, just before Brett Hull scored that illegal goal, a Sabre came right past him and tried to poke check the puck away, instead of body-checking Hull.  Also, to be fair, the Sabres were exhausted and hadn't had a decent scoring chance for an hour of playing time.  Every time someone would summon up a burst of energy and attempt a play at the Stars end, their huge defensemen would swat him down and the puck would be coming back.  Even if the No Goal hadn't happened, or hadn't counted, it seems really unlikely it would have made a difference in the outcome.

Rob Johnson did OK in that game.  Maybe Flutie would have been better.  Johnson left the field after leading the Bills to a lead in the final seconds, that should have been enough to win.  I told a friend before that game that I thought whichever team won, would go to the SB that year.  It turned out it was the Titans who went, and they came within one tackle that they couldn't break of winning the game.  

I would have been thoroughly disgusted if Mason had broken that tackle. Thanks London!!!!!! I took some sick pleasure in seeing the Titans lose the SB in heartbreaking fashion.

Your points are well taken. The Bills and Sabres each had opportunities to seal the deal themselves. It's unfortunate that they didn't get the calls, but it doesn't even come to that if we'd have handled our collective business.

Edited by BillsSB2020

I was in high school--a sophomore, to be exact.

My parents went out that afternoon, and I don't remember where they went. But I was home alone and on the phone with (somewhat) of a girlfriend when the play happened, because I called her up in an absolute state of euphoria after the Christie kick.

That game really affected me. High school is a complicated time as it is, what with hormones, and growing up, and all that, but... I was very sad for a good chunk of time after that loss. The Bills were special to me then, more special than they are now, that's for sure. The Kelly retirement was just 3 years prior to that, and the Flutie phenomenon was so out of the blue. We were so BAD the year Todd Collins (Billie Joe Hobart?? BARF!) was the starter, that it was inconceivable that Doug freaking Flutie could save the franchise so quickly after that. It makes sense to me now that I'm older--even in Kelly's twilight years of 95, 96, 97, those teams were no pushovers--so the talent was there that a middle of the road QB could achieve middle of the road success. But as a youngster, the thought of the team ever winning, after losing 4 super bowls and my hero retiring, was just unthinkable. And when they started 0-4 the year Flutie took over, it just added to the magic. So, long story short, that 99/00 year felt like they had a real shot to do something great.

The game itself was different then, and not just because I was younger. It felt more like the wild wild west: not so much polish, not so much hype.

They should have won that game man. 

One super bowl in that era would have meant more to my life than if they win 10 in a row starting next year. I don't think that's only because I was younger then, but.. the world was different then. I'm not saying them winning a super bowl wont mean something when it eventually happens, but, it would have been really special if they had pulled it off so close to the failures of the 90s. 

Brings me back, it really does. 

Part of me is almost glad it played out the way it did, in some sick sense, because the pain is so... cool? I can't lie, the pain, and the memories of that game, are a better story than probably all but the Patriots first SB are for Pats fans. It's part of the eternal misery of being a Bills fan, yes, but it's just so unique to us to have THAT degree of heart break. 

Phew. Makes me sick. It really does.

4 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Wait, so Shefters opinion of what he remembers from something that happened 19 years ago is now the smoking gun that proves something that literal science failed to prove for 19 years?  

Science has to use the camera angles available too.

5 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...let's sue Goodell to replay the game Naw Leans style....

Good, the Bills can start Flutie this time.

I'm sure the Titans will get along just fine with McNair under center...

• Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Sherlock Holmes said:

Or that moron running out of the endzone for a safety

actually I think he fumbled it out of the EZ.  The only TD the Titans got that game was after they got the football ? all fired up from their safety.  It's the only playoff game I've ever seen where the starting QB and center had to practice snaps on the sidelines.

i view that as the play that really cost us the game. That and Wade Phillips not telling Ralph to shove it and put Flutie in at halftime.