Calling it now: Zay Jones will not be on the week 1 roster.

Alphadawg7

On 3/1/2019 at 1:10 PM, Alphadawg7 said:

LMAO:  Then why root for Buffalo dude if no one good will ever play here?  I mean thats the first really ridiculous thing I have seen anyone say in 7 pages of this thread.  And like I already said, IF we ONLY bring in ONE more guy, then I absolutely believe Zay will be on this roster week 1.  My prediction is based on bringing in 2 more relevant WR's, already said that multiple times.

Name one thing Zay Jones excels at.  Just one.  

You don't think we can upgrade from a guy who has yet to establish any part of his game as consistent in 2 years, has played 30 games and in 22 of them has less than 40 yards receiving, and only ever eclipsed 60 yards receiving 5 times in his career with zero 100 yard games?  I get people don't agree, and totally fine with that, but you have a pretty low bar for a starting WR to think thats not something difficult to improve on.

So the real basis of your argument is that we cant possibly upgrade on him because of a rookie contract and no other FA's will come here.  The last thing that is an issue for this team right now is cap room.  They will make the best decisions they feel are best for the team, and cheap contracts will not be the end all be all barometer of those decisions.

I don't know for sure Zay will be traded, I made a bold prediction and I stated its my opinion and gut feeling.  If he doesn't, then great that would hopefully mean he really upped his game and thats great for the Bills.  I would LOVE Zay to do that, I liked him out of college and have nothing against him.  However, my confidence in him beating out the 2 additions I expect and also both Foster and Duke are not as high as yours.

You make some good points throughout the thread. The problem I see with this prediction is that even if he does get beaten out by Duke, Foster, & 2 additions he would still make the team as WR5. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Rob's House said:

You make some good points throughout the thread. The problem I see with this prediction is that even if he does get beaten out by Duke, Foster, & 2 additions he would still make the team as WR5. 

Thanks, and yeah, I’m not making some kind of guarantee, just my gut feeling that Beane would move him for value if he fell down the depth chart.

I thought he progressed and was decent last year, still needs to improve a lot but to not make the team is a bit of a stretch I think. Right now I would say foster is ahead of him on the depth chart, we would need to add like 4 starting caliber wrs for this to happen

On 2/27/2019 at 11:08 PM, BillsVet said:

Zay was phenomenal when games were out of reach.  His big day at NYJ with 8 catches for 93 yards and 2 TDs largely occurred when Buffalo was up 2 scores.  

When it matters, ZJ's targets aren't high. Blame it on the QB, OL, whatever...he's not a factor when it matters.  At least not yet. 

Very astute post!

It was similar in college, he put up gawdy numbers when the Pirates were out of the game, aka garbage time.

It was very often, mostly in fact, from a spread often featuring 5 wides.

Either way, his catch % is horrific, in his rookie season it was 2nd from DFL, this past season it improved, and how could it not, but was still way below average.

He's had two seasons with lackluster results.  He's a 3/4 at best, he may not even be effective in that role.

The only thing keeping him here imo is that he's cheap.  "Will play for food."

And honestly, what does one make of that off-season incident last year.  One more hiccup like that and that could be it.

Either way, relying on him to start at this point is a fool's game.

• Like (+1) 3

There appears to be more depth and options at wr than ever before so Jones will need to do something this summer to earn a spot.

Jones lacks speed, the ability to separate, limited run after catch ability, limited ability to make contested catches and his hands have been generally suspect. He has only been a regular wr for the Bills because he was drafted high and the position group was gutted when he arrived. He never earned his spot and has done nothing with the opportunity. With so many options in free agency, trade possibilities and the draft it is hard to think he will be a top 4 Wr on this team next year unless his game drastically changes.

Foster is well ahead of him and I believe they brought in the talented Duke Williams to compete for the #2 spot. McKenzie offers some trick play and special teams ability but he may be replaced as well. Jones is probably 3rd right now but I expect 2 more additions at this position and I’m not sure he is a good enough special teamed to stick with team if he is bumped down to a #5. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, racketmaster said:

There appears to be more depth and options at wr than ever before so Jones will need to do something this summer to earn a spot.

Jones lacks speed, the ability to separate, limited run after catch ability, limited ability to make contested catches and his hands have been generally suspect. He has only been a regular wr for the Bills because he was drafted high and the position group was gutted when he arrived. He never earned his spot and has done nothing with the opportunity. With so many options in free agency, trade possibilities and the draft it is hard to think he will be a top 4 Wr on this team next year unless his game drastically changes.

Foster is well ahead of him and I believe they brought in the talented Duke Williams to compete for the #2 spot. McKenzie offers some trick play and special teams ability but he may be replaced as well. Jones is probably 3rd right now but I expect 2 more additions at this position and I’m not sure he is a good enough special teamed to stick with team if he is bumped down to a #5. 

Could not agree with you more :)

17 hours ago, Rob's House said:

Will he though without playing teams? 

On 2/27/2019 at 4:23 PM, Flip Johnson said:

This is the rare, well-written, carefully reasoned, totally ridiculous take on this board.

The Bills need WRs. 

They have a 23yr old that they invested a 2nd round pick in.

He is cost-controlled.

He more than doubled his catches in year 2.

There is zero chance he gets cut this year.

Let's not forget he had 7 TDs including 2 multi TD games

• Like (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, Buffalo03 said:

Let's not forget he had 7 TDs including 2 multi TD games

Let’s not forget 4 of those 7 came against the woeful Dolphins and that makes up 45% of his career TDS over 2 seasons in just those 2 games.  

In 30 career games Zay has zero 100 yard games.  In 7 career games Foster has three 100 yard games.  In 30 career games he has had less than 40 yards 22 times.  

A couple 2 TD games against a terrible Dolphins team doesn’t erase the other 28 games of mostly sub par play.  

1 hour ago, Success said:

Zay Jones is our best receiver right now.  I’m pretty sure he’ll be in the team.

Ideally, he’ll be our slot guy.

We have 3 WR's actually on the roster, and of them Foster is our best WR right now as he easily passed up Zay already.  The other WR is Duke.  

By default, you can say Zay is our 2nd best WR on the roster right now, but is he really?  We don't actually know that because we haven't seen what Duke can do on an NFL field yet.  People keep over looking Duke because he was in the CFL, but that was not because of talent.  He was there over maturity issues which he seems all past now.  He has dominated at every level of football he has played, so its more than reasonable to expect him to challenge Zay.

So not only is Zay not our best WR on the roster right now, he could actually be the worst one if Duke comes on strong.  And thats before we add more talent and we will add at least 2 or 3 more relevant WR's via draft, FA, or trade.  

I disagree unless we get substantial help in FA/draft. McD will want to keep at least one receiver that's had a year with Allen. I have no problem with Zay as a wr3/ rotational guy. Foster has the strongest chance of keeping his job at this point. 

Edited by Norcalbillsfan

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

We have 3 WR's actually on the roster, and of them Foster is our best WR right now as he easily passed up Zay already.  The other WR is Duke.  

By default, you can say Zay is our 2nd best WR on the roster right now, but is he really?  We don't actually know that because we haven't seen what Duke can do on an NFL field yet.  People keep over looking Duke because he was in the CFL, but that was not because of talent.  He was there over maturity issues which he seems all past now.  He has dominated at every level of football he has played, so its more than reasonable to expect him to challenge Zay.

So not only is Zay not our best WR on the roster right now, he could actually be the worst one if Duke comes on strong.  And thats before we add more talent and we will add at least 2 or 3 more relevant WR's via draft, FA, or trade.  

We have 4, we have McKenzie who has a different skill set as a gadget slot guy who runs bubble screens, sweeps, reverses can play tailback in a pinch and is an explosive returner. McKenzie is the kind of guy who because of his teams play likely sticks even if he is the 5th or 6th best receiver. To me Zay doesn't have that luxury. 

Edited by GunnerBill

7 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

We have 4, we have McKenzie who has a different skill set as a gadget slot guy who runs bubble screens, sweeps, reverses can play tailback in a pinch and is an explosive returner. McKenzie is the kind of guy who because of his teams play likely sticks even if he is the 5th or 6th best receiver. To me Zay doesn't have that luxury. 

Oh, I thought McKenzie still needs to be resigned?  Either way, he is more that gadget and ST guy, not part of the top 3 of the depth chart but certainly will and should be on the roster as the 5th or 6th WR.

2 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Oh, I thought McKenzie still needs to be resigned?  Either way, he is more that gadget and ST guy, not part of the top 3 of the depth chart but certainly will and should be on the roster as the 5th or 6th WR.

He is signed through 2019. I don't rule him out of being our 'starting' slot receiver. I think the kid is very talented. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

He is signed through 2019. I don't rule him out of being our 'starting' slot receiver. I think the kid is very talented. 

Nice.  Glad he will be here in 2019!  That makes Zay seat even warmer 

Edited by Alphadawg7