TV Shows That Stayed On Too Long

The Andy Griffith Show, with Barney, still makes me laugh hard to this day. After he left, they stopped being about the slapstick humor, and relied on the wholesomeness of a small southern town than it did on actually being laugh out loud funny. It had a few small moments, but if I'm flipping through the channels, and see that Andy Griffith is on in color, I change the channel. 

Apparently, Don Knotts left over a contract dispute. He even tried coming back, but they wouldn't have him as a regular anymore. Don Knotts was a comic genius.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

The Simpsons should have ended decades ago.  Like around season 12.

South Park.

Always Sunny should hang it up ASAP

10 seasons is about as long as any show can maintain excellence and that is still rare.

Really?  I have enjoyed the last couple seasons immensely.  

7 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

After season 5 it dragged for a few years. Mac is fat and Mac is gay is not enough to drive plot. There's still some good episodes here and there but seasons 1 - 5 were gold. 

9 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

I absolutely loved the bait and switch they pulled to start off this season.  It's really the only thing I remember though.  The seasons are far too short with too much time in between.  I realize that's the best they can do with their schedules, but nothing about that format leads to memorability.

15 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

South Park.

10 seasons is about as long as any show can maintain excellence and that is still rare.

That x 100  

Clogging the networks 

Supernatural

Arrow

Flash

Survivor 

Big Brother

the Bachelor and  Bachelorette

Family Guy

29 minutes ago, shrader said:

I absolutely loved the bait and switch they pulled to start off this season.  It's really the only thing I remember though.  The seasons are far too short with too much time in between.  I realize that's the best they can do with their schedules, but nothing about that format leads to memorability.

I dont know what I found funnier, the show or the comments after recent episodes from fans who are angry about the episodes. I thought the last couple seasons were good, I get what they were doing in many of them making fun of themselves a issues today.

45 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

South Park.

Agree on the Simpsons, I think it's only been on for the last while because they want to either see how far they can jeep it on until no ones watching, or Fox cant find anything somewhat decent to replace it...

South Park can still be pretty good, they did change to make the season into one long story arc though compared to individual episodes. Didnt they tag the last season with #cancelsouthpark? I wonder if they are only still going cause the network wants them to?

Dexter - last season was weak. 6-8 weren't that great either.

Blindspot has been really weak this year.

Someone pointed out in another thread he thought the writers intended for season 4 to be the end of Breaking Bad but it was brought back for season 5 due to popular demand. No matter, really enjoyed season 5, thought the ending was great.

Edited by Steve O

14 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

I dont know what I found funnier, the show or the comments after recent episodes from fans who are angry about the episodes. I thought the last couple seasons were good, I get what they were doing in many of them making fun of themselves a issues today.

Agree on the Simpsons, I think it's only been on for the last while because they want to either see how far they can jeep it on until no ones watching, or Fox cant find anything somewhat decent to replace it...

South Park can still be pretty good, they did change to make the season into one long story arc though compared to individual episodes. Didnt they tag the last season with #cancelsouthpark? I wonder if they are only still going cause the network wants them to?

I have no issue with where South Park is today, but I kind of wish they ended it a few years ago with that season finale where Stan  became ridiculously cynical and the Marsh's moved away.  That would have been a great way to awkwardly end the show when no one expected it.

15 minutes ago, shrader said:

I have no issue with where South Park is today, but I kind of wish they ended it a few years ago with that season finale where Stan  became ridiculously cynical and the Marsh's moved away.  That would have been a great way to awkwardly end the show when no one expected it.

I think South Park, while occasionally still very entertaining, has lost the timelessness of seasons 1 - 10.  They produce parody episodes in a week's time and now when I watch some episodes from a few years ago I can't even recall what the event was that inspired the episode.  Without that context its mostly worthless. New seasons do not compare to the old stuff.

25 minutes ago, LeviF91 said:

SNL

Should have happened 40 years ago. After the original cast left, the only thing left was Eddie Murphy. Kinda glad they didn't because I liked their resurgence in the 90's. But yeah, it's been mostly suck for 15 years, and I'm being generous with that number. 

3 minutes ago, Another Fan said:

Family Matters when that whole transformation chamber transformed Steve

All In The Family towards the end.  Archie got a lot more mellow even telling Mike he was too good for Gloria 

The tension between Archie and Mike is what made the show work. After Mike left, it got boring. Although Archie Bunker's Place, while not as classic as AITF, was actually pretty good.