Some draft buzz on discussion of Titans/trade up...

YoloinOhio

This is my biggest fear with a QB. It can actually be better for a franchise if a QB flames out as opposed to consistent mediocrity. They'll kill coaches because ownership will generally want to believe in "their guy." I don't think Vrabel is having any of it. He's one of the very best young coaches in the game.

Edited by BillsSB2020

14 minutes ago, BillsSB2020 said:

This is my biggest fear with a QB. It can actually be better for a franchise if a QB flames out as opposed to consistent mediocrity. They'll kill coaches because ownership will generally want to believe in "their guy." I don't think Vrabel is having any of it. He's one of the very best young coaches in the game.

Vrabel’s the type that gets very frustrated if his defense plays well enough to win but the QB/offense is holding them back. He still has a kind of player mentality. And he won’t coddle the QB. I think Mariota is a good kid and has played hurt, but making that long term commitment is not easy when he didn’t draft him. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Logic said:

I think he's suffering from "Alex Smith syndrome" due to the amount of different offensive systems he's already had to learn in just five years. Like Smith, I expect him to have a resurgence later in his career, once he's able to sit back and learn the same offense on a more stable team, perhaps as a backup initially.

.....or maybe he will be good and not great enough to carry a team to sustained success.  He will be a tease with flashes but no more.

If he is talking about confidential draft plans with random friends outside of the organization, he's a tremendous fool.

So for that reason, I'm calling BS. If anything, it's a smokescreen.

I just can't envision a situation where anyone in a position like that could let that slip to anyone. I wouldn't take such a huge risk. I wouldn't tell my wife, my kids, my best friend, or anyone who does not NEED to know. Why? Because it WILL end up on message boards, on Twitter, etc.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Jay_Fixit said:

Mariota has been less than stellar but he’s also on his 5th OC in 5 years. And he had a weird elbow injury last season. I think the Titans would be making a mistake moving on.

I’d definitely give him another year to show what he can do.

I agree with this opinion but the nature of the NFL Coaching Carousel probably makes grabbing a new QB this year more appealing to Vrabel.

Most coaches get three years to get the job done and then they get the ax.  If Vrabel sticks with Mariota again this year and he doesn't get the job done, then they are going to be drafting a rookie QB or trading for a retread QB in year three of Vrabel's tenure.  Not a good situation to be in for Vrabel.  Conversely, if they draft a rookie QB this year, Vrabel probably gets a mulligan for his first year with Mariota,  and he'll have two years, more likely three years, to develop the new QB.

From a job security point of view, I think Vrable is in better shape drafting a new QB this year. 

3 hours ago, MJS said:

If he is talking about confidential draft plans with random friends outside of the organization, he's a tremendous fool.

So for that reason, I'm calling BS. If anything, it's a smokescreen.

I just can't envision a situation where anyone in a position like that could let that slip to anyone. I wouldn't take such a huge risk. I wouldn't tell my wife, my kids, my best friend, or anyone who does not NEED to know. Why? Because it WILL end up on message boards, on Twitter, etc.

Even if its true, thats part of the "smoke screen". If every little thing that leaks out is 100% false, you would just disregard 100% of intel. You drop a bone here or there justttttt enough to keep people off balance. Do you do that with the QB position? Questionable, but again just adds to the confusion. Still appreciate the post YOLO. These guys dont get to this level without considering every angle, to the point of being comical.

If this board is sitting around talking about it, imagine how many of the other 31 teams have atleast discussed it. Add every other team in the league playing the same game.... imagine how much complete bullsnap these guys have to consider day to day hahahahaha glad i dont have to try and decipher all of it

13 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Ok - before I get the chorus of boos, take this with the usual grain of salt. But I did hear something today that could inpact Bills draft if they actually go through with it. I thought there might be a few here who would appreciate it. The rest can just ignore the thread.

My buddy used to coach youth sports here with Vrabel and still talks to him on occasion. There is discussion internally with Titans that they may trade up for Haskins. They aren’t sold on Mariota and vrabel is one of the least patient people on the planet with offensive players.  Vrabes is tight with Ryan Day (his QB coach/OC for 2 years) and actually tried to hire him as his OC last year. He’s really interested in drafting him,  obviously would need to trade up to do so. I think there could be a bit of a bidding war to get to Murray and Haskins with some teams, moreso than the media has caught on to. Mariota will be playing on 5th year option and then will need paid. Apparently vrabel is very opposed.

And just to add Vrabel played at Ohio state too and grew up in CLE area so well connected on all things buckeye. 

Guys like Mariota are always interesting to me, I watched him in person probably 10 times and thought he was going to be the next transcendent talent at the NFL level, the guy dominated the PAC10 for two years and now it's looking like he could be on his way out. the different systems that he had to learn probably didn't help, but I didn't think he would be this mediocre. 

12 hours ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

When all is said and done, I would not at all be surprised if we see Haskins and Murray go 1-2 (in some order) in the draft! That is good news for us. Would be so kicked if Quinnen Williams fell to us somehow (I know it is a pipe dream).

You can pass that pipe over here. If Quinnen fell to us somehow, I'd be thrilled.He , IMO, would pay the most dividends for us. He'd be my top choice if I were GM

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, BuffAlone said:

You can pass that pipe over here. If Quinnen fell to us somehow, I'd be thrilled.He , IMO, would pay the most dividends for us. He'd be my top choice if I were GM

I saw him singlehandedly destroy LSU. Shredded double teams as if he were playing against high schoolers. He primarily played the 3-4 in Bama. The concern for the Bills is whether he can play in a 4-3 next to Star. I believe he can. He reminds me so much of a young Gerald McCoy. 

Edited by IgotBILLStopay
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, BuffAlone said:

Yeah, if miraculously Quinnen falls to 9 they better sprint to the podium.  He might be the best player in this draft.

• Like (+1) 1