Bills hire away Dolphins Director of Analytics

YoloinOhio

Curious, how did this guys work on analytics work out for the Dolphins?  Seems to me the Dolphins have been pretty crappy since 2015.

There is a difference between understanding / creating analytics and actually applying them effectively to an organization.

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

If there’s one team that has been masterful at their use of analytics it’s the Dolphins (sarcasm font).

Every NFL organization has talent throughout.  You wouldn't roster any player from that team either, because the team overall is bad?

• Like (+1) 2

16 minutes ago, SWATeam said:

Every NFL organization has talent throughout.  You wouldn't roster any player from that team either, because the team overall is bad?

No, they are a team in a bad cap situation with a lack of talent. I see that as an indictment on the numbers people. This guy absolutely had a say in all of these deals. He was either, a part of the problem, or didn’t have enough respect in the room to have his voice heard. Either way you slice it, that’s is not a good look IMO. 

24 minutes ago, Mark80 said:

Curious, how did this guys work on analytics work out for the Dolphins?  Seems to me the Dolphins have been pretty crappy since 2015.

There is a difference between understanding / creating analytics and actually applying them effectively to an organization.

This is a great point. Dolphins did have a ton of talent on the roster on paper, but they still sucked. They gave the Patriots fits though. Maybe it was the coaching, or maybe it was the quarterback, but they were not devoid of talent. 

26 minutes ago, Mark80 said:

Just because they have a analytical department does not mean that the GM or Coach listened to this guy

• Thank you (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

No, they are a team in a bad cap situation with a lack of talent. I see that as an indictment on the numbers people. This guy absolutely had a say in all of these deals. He was either, a part of the problem, or didn’t have enough respect in the room to have his voice heard. Either way you slice it, that’s is not a good look IMO. 

It is impossible to know if this guy is even the least bit responsible for anything you are inferring.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Or and indictment of Gase and his staff!

26 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

If there’s one team that has been masterful at their use of analytics it’s the Dolphins (sarcasm font).

Analytics are just another tool in the toolbox. It is not some magical cure-all that creates success.

It is like any other tool, it is all about the judicious application of the tool. 

We all know that putting good information in front of decision-makers does not mean they make the right decisions with it. Look no further than our government for proof.

I would not judge this guy too harshly for the Dolphins lack of success.

• Like (+1) 4