A Little Help Please ? I Just Don't Understand !!

T master

I know there is a ton of talk here & else where lately on the Antonio Brown situation but there are a couple of things with in the situation that i don't understand & i was wondering if any of the Bills fans here could give some clarification to these things of which i sit & ponder ? ?

Okay we all know that AB is not happy because of what ever happened in Pittsburg & recently he & his agent met with Mr. Rooney to see where this whole thing stands. We also know that prior to this meeting Mr Rooney was trying to reach out to see if the situation could be fixed so that told me that he really didn't want AB to leave but apparently AB has had strong enough reasons to want to leave & Mr. Rooney is now in a place where he knows he may as well just let him go because of what ever reasons he has .

Now comes the part where i need the help !

Seeing as the Steelers JUST redid his contract for really big money & more than likely he had a ton of guarantees in that contract (& both sides agree'd to the contract) if AB is the one that wants out WHY should the Steelers be stuck honoring the monetary part of the contract but AB isn't expected to honor his end of the contract ? Also when AB goes to another team just like the situation with Fitz yrs ago AB will not only be getting paid from the Steelers but from his new team too :huh: !

Which in the future will tell other prime donna types that if i just decide i want to be a jack ass after i agree to a huge contract & i decide i don't like something i can leave & i can make a lot more money !! 

Ive heard in the past players saying derogatory remarks about the NFL owners (& possibly other major sports owners) mind set about how they conduct things but dam where do i sign up for a multi million dollar deal just so i can walk away & still get all the money for something that i no longer have to do the work for I'll do that crap all day long & be a happy camper !

Isn't there some kind of stipulation some where that says if the player doesn't want to honor the former contract they signed that he can walk & get paid if he can find another team that is willing to take on that contract & it's monetary commitment but not by the previous team if it is the players decision to not honor his end of the contract ?

I could see like in the Fitz situation they signed the contract & then the "Team" decides to cut the player then that's on the team they should pay the guy because he is willing to fulfill his end of the contract . You see this all the time !! Just this year with Clay he still makes like $4.5 Mill from the Bills because they cut him .

But this case is the opposite & if it is the opposite shouldn't the rules be the same in as if the player decides for what ever reason (other than injury) not to honor his end that he should be made to give up at least something ?

Mr.Rooney reached out repeatedly to AB (it seemed) to resolve the issues at hand but in the end AB didn't want to or as it sounds both sides have come to the conclusion that things couldn't be rectified so they would agree to disagree & AB will be leaving & is making out like a bandit yet some one else will sign him & he will be twice as rich collecting on 2 contracts just because he wants to be that guy  !! ?

I don't know what the rules are but something just doesn't seem to be right & if it is right it sure doesn't seem fair . Is there any one out there that can add some clarification to this ? 

They own his rights. They have chosen to trade his rights and his prorated guaranteed money will be assessed to their cap hit as a result. AB will receive his signing bonus from the Steelers and the team that trades for him will pay his salary. He is not collecting on two contracts, he will be paid his salary as determined by his contract, by the team who trades for him, including all roster bonuses and incentives.

Just now, ndirish1978 said:

They own his rights. They have chosen to trade his rights and his prorated guaranteed money will be assessed to their cap hit as a result. AB will receive his signing bonus from the Steelers and the team that trades for him will pay his salary. He is not collecting on two contracts, he will be paid his salary as determined by his contract, by the team who trades for him, including all roster bonuses and incentives.

Piggybacking - his roster bonus is due in mid march-  so that's a pretty solid incentive to trade him before then.  Saves 2.5 mil of cap and cash.

3 minutes ago, ndirish1978 said:

Got you so then the steelers do get some what of a break Thanks for the clarification ...

6 minutes ago, MiltonWaddams said:

Your questions bring up valid points. One of these valid points is that it is downright laughable that the NFLPA wants to restructure the current CBA. Player Rights are at a level unseen previously.

With NFL related revenue up by 10 billion over the past decade these fights will continue in an ongoing spiral circle.

38 minutes ago, T master said:

Seeing as the Steelers JUST redid his contract for really big money & more than likely he had a ton of guarantees in that contract (& both sides agree'd to the contract) if AB is the one that wants out WHY should the Steelers be stuck honoring the monetary part of the contract but AB isn't expected to honor his end of the contract ? Also when AB goes to another team just like the situation with Fitz yrs ago AB will not only be getting paid from the Steelers but from his new team too :huh: !

I think you're confusing cap hit with pay

Edited by CBend
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, ndirish1978 said:

Did they?  I heard yesterday AB state the Steelers agreed to trade him, but haven't heard the Steelers state that yes we will trade him.  Granted they are due to pay a big roster bonus, so ideally you'd want to make the a trade prior.  But also could come back that Sorry AB we didn't get any good offers, we're keeping you.  Likely he'll be gone, but will see.

to be honest I'd let him hold out and lose money . He shows up in November to get his games in I'd still  hold him out the next year. I'd waste the rest of his career for not honoring that contract. 

it will be interesting to see who offers what though.  I don't want AB anywhere near the Bills 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, CBend said:

I think you're confusing cap hit with pay

Exactly like CBend stated.

When a team cuts a player, they are no longer responsible for any more bonuses or salary.

However, they are responsible for the "pro-rated" amount of their signing bonuses and any other bonus structures to span more than the year in which it was paid out for.

This is where the "Dead Money" comes into play.  It is not necessarily money that we owe to the player, it is money that has been previously paid to the player that must be accounted for towards the Salary cap.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

19 hours ago, bladiebla said:

With NFL related revenue up by 10 billion over the past decade these fights will continue in an ongoing spiral circle.

Like the wonderful dealings the Bills had with Bruce Smith.

After Bruce becomes the highest paid player by signing a multi year deal: "I'm very happy"

After a half dozen other players sign for more than Bruce did: "I'm unhappy.  I should get more."

After Bills renegotiate Bruce's contract to again make him the highest paid player: "I'm happy"

After 10 other players sign for more than Bruce did : "I'm unhappy. I want more"

Rinse. Repeat.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

On 2/20/2019 at 9:41 AM, T master said:

I could see like in the Fitz situation they signed the contract & then the "Team" decides to cut the player then that's on the team they should pay the guy because he is willing to fulfill his end of the contract . You see this all the time !! Just this year with Clay he still makes like $4.5 Mill from the Bills because they cut him .

as others have stated you are confusing salary with dead cap money that has already been paid out to player earlier and prorated over life of contract. It now must be accelerated onto the teams cap when cut or traded.

Clay cost bills nothing this year in salary or cash. 4.5 mill is added to cap as prorated portion of his sing bonus he was paid years ago. So Bills have 4.5 million of dead cap in 2019 for Clay and then nothing more. If he had stayed on Bills, Bills would have owed him his contract salary of 4.5 mill in cash and his cap hit would have been 9 mill as it was last year of contract so last of sign bonus(4.5 mill) was to come due anyway.