Erie County to spend 3mill on updates at New Era, including new field

YoloinOhio

8 hours ago, The Senator said:

I suppose some folks may have said the same things about The Old Rockpile, but realize that, as a professional football venue, Rich/The Ralph/New Era has surpassed War Memorial Stadium by more than a decade.

The current facility is ‘serviceable’ for a few more years, but I would have a huge issue with anyone who thinks dropping a $half billion$ on a total rehab/rebuild isn’t foolish.

Buffalo is finally undergoing a renaissance of sorts, needs and deserves a new downtown football stadium to keep the momentum going, and the Pegulas have quietly been acquiring the land for it.

JMO.

As long as it is JYD (just your dollars) I agree.  I cannot see any new stadium working in Buffalo with PSLs and where are they going to find buyers for enhanced suites and advertising?

2 hours ago, The Senator said:

Sure they are.  Their appetite for the game is insatiable!

That’s why the Rams left, the Chargers moved, the Raiders moved twice and are now leaving.

They love their football so much that the nation’s second largest city had no team at all for two decades. ?

Um, San Diego already has a football team.

The Fleet?? That’s like saying Buffalo already has a baseball team. 

Lets compare apples to apples here, or at least keep it in the same ball park?

• Awesome! (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

As long as it is JYD (just your dollars) I agree.  I cannot see any new stadium working in Buffalo with PSLs and where are they going to find buyers for enhanced suites and advertising?

...are we forgetting Dunkirk Don's dome complex?.......

2 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

I am trying to forget that Dunkirk Don exists and wish when posters create aliases mods with change title to "poster alias".

...LOL...he was TBD's very own "Howie from TMZ".....or WNY's "National Enquirer"......BTW, I think folks should stop expecting Pegula to pony up $800+ mil for a Lucas Oil type facility for Bflo......so we'll see what Guido Cuomo does now that AOC chased Amazon out and what his plans are for his "weed tax"..............

2 minutes ago, Chill said:

The Fleet?? That’s like saying Buffalo already has a baseball team. 

Lets compare apples to apples here, or at least keep it in the same ball park?

Apples and apples are being compared but one is one of those apples before cross fertilization.

A modern apple and a crabapple. 

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Just when we think no one in Buffalo has that kind of scratch, along comes some unknown guy worth $5B, and willing to spend half of it on Buffalo’s two major league teams.

There’s plenty of quiet - and also not so quiet - money in BuffTown.  Plenty of private folks and corporate entities that can afford suites and PSLs, plenty of companies that would love to have their name on a state-of-the-art downtown stadium, and plenty of companies that would be eager to advertise.

You don’t think all those new medical corridor firms and their employees have money?  

Come on now, have a little faith in our city.

Edited by The Senator

13 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...LOL...he was TBD's very own "Howie from TMZ".....or WNY's "National Enquirer"......BTW, I think folks should stop expecting Pegula to pony up $800+ mil for a Lucas Oil type facility for Bflo......so we'll see what Guido Cuomo does now that AOC chased Amazon out and what his plans are for his "weed tax"..............

It’s all about the revenue. Here is San Diego, the Padres just signed a player for 300 mill guaranteed. Thats a 1/3 rd of a new stadium, for a freakin baseball player. 

Gotta spend money to make it. 

5 minutes ago, The Senator said:

Just when we think no one in Buffalo has that kind of scratch, along comes some unknown guy worth $5B, and willing to spend half of it on Buffalo’s two major league teams.

There’s plenty of quiet - and also not so quiet - money in BuffTown.  Plenty of private folks and corporate entities that can afford suites and PSLs, plenty of companies that would love to have their name on a state-of-the-art downtown stadium, and plenty of companies that would be eager to advertise.

You don’t think all those new medical corridor firms and their employees have money?  

Come on now, have a little faith in our city.

Shows us some facts. This speculation sounds nice but not believable...

Buffalos economy has improved slightly in the last decade, however, I would like to see millionaire per capita. 

Edited by Chill

20 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...are we forgetting Dunkirk Don's dome complex?.......

I certainly haven’t. I scooped up large swaths of land along the Rt. 36/408 Letchworth corridor because I connected the dots. 

• Haha (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Chill said:

It’s all about the revenue. Here is San Diego, the Padres just signed a player for 300 mill guaranteed. Thats a 1/3 rd of a new stadium, for a freakin baseball player. 

Gotta spend money to make it. 

Shows us some facts. This speculation sounds nice but not believable...

Buffalos economy has improved slightly in the last decade, however, I would like to see millionaire per capita. 

think a 162 game season versus 16 helps?.....

22 minutes ago, Chill said:

It’s all about the revenue. Here is San Diego, the Padres just signed a player for 300 mill guaranteed. 

Yeah, too bad the Padres suck out loud, and too bad Machado won’t help that ?

Thats a 1/3 rd of a new stadium, for a freakin baseball player. 

Yeah, and since the Padres suck so bad, the money would have been better spent on a new stadium.  Maybe then San Diego could have a shot at being an NFL city.

Edited by The Senator

Just now, Limeaid said:

Do you think he will play 162 games?

Probably not. 

He will draw a crowd every home game. TV ratings will go up.

Padres now have an excuse to raise ticket prices, and San Diegans love spending mula. 

It’s a win/ wins for the pads.  

2 minutes ago, BUFFALOBART said:

Are you Beavis, or Butthead?

I am the Great Cornholio!!  ? 

• Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, TFBillsfan said:

Wouldn’t the Carrier Dome in Syracuse be a viable short term solution if they decided to do an overhaul of the Ralph?

No. The Carrier Dome is not up to NFL standards, as told to me by a former executive for the Bills, when asked if they'd ever do a pre-season game there. 

4 hours ago, Chill said:

NY better be careful, Cali is hungry for another team. 

As a Cali resident i can tell you that this is a no.  Oakland can't afford a new stadium.  Diego will get the Chargers back one day, but that city will not get hi-jacked be the NFL stadium committee.  California won't pay for a new palace.  

22 minutes ago, BUFFALOBART said:

It's not about 'having faith in our city', but it IS about 'bang for the buck'. We already have what we need, if you are not fixated on the superficial....

Respectfully, ‘bang for the buck’ precludes spending $300M every few years to constantly update a 47 years-old stadium, when a brand spankin’ new one could be built for approx. $750M.

Nothing “superficial” is required - no tourist attraction, no shopping malls, water parks, etc.  That would just drive up the cost, when all folks want and need is a great place to watch NFL football.

The Ralph was great - and thank God it’s serviceable for a few more years while we build something new - but, like the Skyway, it is functionally obsolete, structurally deficient, fracture critical, and has outlived its usefulness.

Edited by The Senator
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Just Jack said:

No. The Carrier Dome is not up to NFL standards, as told to me by a former executive for the Bills, when asked if they'd ever do a pre-season game there. 

I wonder what would be needed? Was the University of Illinois or the soccer stadium the Chargers played at any better?

5 minutes ago, TFBillsfan said:

I wonder what would be needed? Was the University of Illinois or the soccer stadium the Chargers played at any better?

Could the Bills survive a temp. move like that? 

Chargers are struggling in LA. 

9 minutes ago, purple haze said:

As a Cali resident i can tell you that this is a no.  Oakland can't afford a new stadium.  Diego will get the Chargers back one day, but that city will not get hi-jacked be the NFL stadium committee.  California won't pay for a new palace.  

Sooner or later San Diego will get a new owner and a new team. Stay tuned. 

Edited by Chill

11 minutes ago, Chill said:

Could the Bills survive a temp. move like that? 

Chargers are struggling in LA. 

Sooner or later San Diego will get a new owner and a new team. Stay tuned. 

I'm sure they will. The Chargers.  And whomever the owner is will pay for all or the majority of the cost; just like other, recent NFL owners.

28 minutes ago, BUFFALOBART said:

If it was up to me, I'd be inclined to follow the Packers model.

The Ralph may be butt ugly, but I believe it is more economical to keep it going, as opposed to a downtown stadium, which like it or not, will be the virtual end of tailgating. Economics dictate that this will be so. Every burger,and beer consumed outside of the stadium is lost revenue for the Bills.

The brownfield Bethlehem complex is the only economical possibility, as generous tax credits would be available to reclaim, and re-purpose that land. I still don't like it, as I feel the 'average' fan will be shut out. Including myself, who is on the cusp of retirement.

You know, over the years, I have posted many,   many times that the Bethlehem site would be an ideal spot for a new, waterfront stadium.

It’d be right smack on the lake, plenty of acreage for parking (and tailgating), has an existing rail infrastructure, is only a few minutes from downtown, and has plenty of vehicular access (I90, Rt.5, Milestrip, etc.)

Plus, what the heck else can that site be used for?  No one is ever going to live atop that giant toxic dump, but you could convince me to spend a few hours there, once a week, 8-10 times a year.

Only problem I see is, the Bills players and staff would be there every day.

But is really is a good place for a stadium, I think.

(Did you know that John Albright, of Albright Knox Art Gallery fame, conned someone into practically giving him that all that land, under the pretense that he would use it to grow flowers for the Pan Am Exposition?  Once the land acquisition was completed, he and his partners brought in the Lackawanna Steel Company!)

Edited by The Senator

6 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

Real grass please

Only way that happens is with something like Arizona did with roll-in natural grass field which will be harder for they will need greenhouse for grass since Buffalo's weather will not sustain grass thru winter including possible playoffs.  It is likely they would need to double down with more fields growing than Arizona. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, The Senator said:

You know, over the years, I have posted many,   many times that the Bethlehem site would be an ideal spot for a new, waterfront stadium.

It’d be right smack on the lake, plenty of acreage for parking (and tailgating), has an existing rail infrastructure, is only a few minutes from downtown, and has plenty of vehicular access (I90, Rt.5, Milestrip, etc.)

Plus, what the heck else can that site be used for?  No one is ever going to live atop that giant toxic dump, but you could convince me to spend a few hours there, once a week, 8-10 times a year.

Only problem I see is, the Bills players and staff would be there every day.

But is really is a good place for a stadium, I think.

Bills could have a practice facility and only go to stadium day they needed it. What would county do with current site?

But I think the transit issues are more difficult there (one less direction to go) and tailgating would probably have to be on new stadium site and it would be diminished compared to current tailgating.

4 hours ago, Limeaid said:

Bills could have a practice facility and only go to stadium day they needed it. What would county do with current site?

But I think the transit issues are more difficult there (one less direction to go) and tailgating would probably have to be on new stadium site and it would be diminished compared to current tailgating.

A practice facility is an excellent thought and maybe the current site could be used for that, with the county selling off the excess land for development purposes.

As for one less direction, I’m sure some fans would love to arrive and depart by boat (JK), but I don’t understand why you think tailgating would be any less fun on the lakefront than in Orchard Park?

Edited by The Senator

55 minutes ago, BUFFALOBART said:

The brownfield tax credits could be worth on the order of $35 million, and of course, the state could sweeten that pot. The land would have to be remediated before any construction took place. If Erie County, and the State were serious, they could make this happen:

https://www.tax.ny.gov/pit/credits/brownfield-redevelopment-credit.htm#Acceptance on or after 7/1/15

The remediation process would like add another 5 years to the timeline - there is cyanide literally seeping up through the griund in some spots.

But the extra time would certainly please fans of The Ralph!

22 hours ago, Just Jack said:

Batavia Downs. There's already a large enough field with a grandstand. 

Yeah, and isn’t the gin mill that Thurman Thomas shills for there?!  A few blue tarps from Valu and we’ll have a home away from home during the ‘extreme makeover’.