Potential Bubble players from Spotrac

BarleyNY

Comments about Star...

His 5 year $50M signing looks like one of the worst free agent deals in all of 2018, and with ample cap space in 2019, the Bills should cut their losses and get out now. They'll owe him $2M cash by releasing him in early March and lose $900,000 in cap space by doing so as well. This is a very unlikely move.

His Dead cap is too high to release this year.. even next year is extremely unlikely..

25 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

Comments about Star...

His Dead cap is too high to release this year.. even next year is extremely unlikely..

It makes a lot of sense but from all indications the Bills have been very pleased with Star.  I can’t see them cutting him in year 2, considering his first year was far from a disaster

22 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Are you an overpaid tight end? If not, it’s not you

i don't think tight end would be apropos here. wide receiver is more apt?

Edited by Foxx
  • Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Aussie Joe said:

Comments about Star...

They will not cut Lotulelei, nor should they. They vastly overpaid and he's not a great player by any stretch of the imagination, but he's serviceable. If they could go back in time, they may do things differently. As it stands right now, he'll be here for a couple seasons. Cap space is pretty irrelevant as it may be tough to even approach the number.

1 hour ago, formerlyofCtown said:

He is doing exactly what he is paid to do.  The author is an idiot.  Most of these players will not be released.

...yet the stat rats expect him to be a headline story EVERY Monday....he's a trench grunt who quietly goes about his business.....and I agree that most stay put..........

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy
  • Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, mjt328 said:

Lots of great information.

Getting tired of the constant uninformed nonsense of ripping on Star though.

Star might be overpaid for his style of play but its not like he isn't a productive player who has a role in the defense. The Bills rush defense was 16th in 2018, that's not bad but hardly enough to write home about except when you factor in the Bills were 29th in 2017. Star wasn't the only reason for the Bills improvement there but he was a major factor for the Bills considerable improvement. 

So yes is Star worth 11 million in 2019? No, but that doesn't mean he doesn't have value to the defense. 

• Thank you (+1) 4

2 hours ago, LSHMEAB said:

They will not cut Lotulelei, nor should they. They vastly overpaid and he's not a great player by any stretch of the imagination, but he's serviceable. If they could go back in time, they may do things differently. As it stands right now, he'll be here for a couple seasons. Cap space is pretty irrelevant as it may be tough to even approach the number.

Part of the star equation is who replaces him? They need a space eater which he does well. If he could do more he would be all pro.

2 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

Star might be overpaid for his style of play but its not like he isn't a productive player who has a role in the defense. The Bills rush defense was 16th in 2018, that's not bad but hardly enough to write home about except when you factor in the Bills were 29th in 2017. Star wasn't the only reason for the Bills improvement there but he was a major factor for the Bills considerable improvement. 

So yes is Star worth 11 million in 2019? No, but that doesn't mean he doesn't have value to the defense. 

Agreed - I'm also not sure of the contract specifics, but re-structuring the contract to help the cap is also a possibility down the line dependent on his play and how willing he may be to accommodate. 

4 minutes ago, ctk232 said:

Agreed - I'm also not sure of the contract specifics, but re-structuring the contract to help the cap is also a possibility down the line dependent on his play and how willing he may be to accommodate. 

It is a hard contract to get out of until 2021 (in 2020 its a 7.8 million dollar cap hit, even post June first that would be 3.9 a season for 2 seasons.) And even in 2021 the cap penalty is 5 million although you could spread that over 2 seasons to ease it out if needed. I am not going to defend the contract as I think it was a massive overpay and might be an albatross once 2017 and 2018 draft guys need extensions. However for people to act like Star bring zero or negative value to the team is just flat out wrong. Star is a positive for the team and while I think you can find what he offers cheaper it is not as though what he offers isn't needed along the D-line. 

But if Star in 2019 and 2020 plays to the same level he did in 2018 I think the value he brings to the team will be enough to at least call the contract a productive overpay. And luckily D-line players tend to play well for longer than some other positions. 

Edited by billsfan89
  • Like (+1) 2