Potential Bubble players from Spotrac

BarleyNY

On 1/31/2019 at 6:51 AM, mjt328 said:

Nobody has time to watch every player in the league. 

I'm convinced that 99% of websites out there are using the same source (Pro Football Focus) to rank players, which is why everyone seems to have the same negative opinion on Star Lotulelei.

As I've said before, PFF grades are fun and interesting.  But they have holes in their system, and some positions get a raw deal in their grading.  When it comes defensive tackles, they expect everyone to play like a 3-Technique and be like Aaron Donald or Kyle Williams.  But for some DTs, their job is not to penetrate into the backfield.  Their job is not to push blockers aside, but to keep them from getting to the second level and reaching the linebackers.  How does a PFF grader know the difference?  The truth is, they don't.  So they give high grades to the players who appear to be "beating" the guy in front of them, and give low grades to the players who appear to be in a stalemate and not going anywhere.

Our coaching staff has not been shy calling out players who aren't performing.  They have had nothing but praise for Star, and how well he's doing the job they signed him to do.

He could be doing that job very well and still be a poor value. In fact, the cap space vs performance for that roster spot is probably one of a handful of spots that could be argued as really hurting us (Starr/dareus, Benjamin, clay, shady combining for very little play making for the percentage of cap taken up)

5 hours ago, JM57 said:

- Yes, that's the point, his role is to eat up blockers and space and keep the others free to make plays.

- agreed, there are lots of guys in the league that can play that role for half the price or less

You deleted half of what I said while quoting me, making it seem like I am against the Star signing. I am actually pretty neutral. Yes, I think he is over paid, but that happens with free agents and if McDermott is happy with him in his role within the scheme, I have nothing to complain about.

On 1/31/2019 at 8:02 AM, BuffaloBill said:

No way do the Bills let him go.

...agreed....think they intended to pay him a premium because they knew what they were getting from Carolina days......and he just quietly goes about his business....will never be in the "Monday Stat Headlines"...........