David Culley (former Bills QB coach) gone- to Ravens

One Buffalo

15 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

The Bills couldn’t block it because it wasn’t a lateral move.. it was a promotion... it wouldnt be kosher to block it... he’s a great coach and I hope he becomes an OC one day soon

He was definitely good for Josh...

we need a good young hire here... sorry for all the Palmer fans but it definitely will not be him... being a private QB coach (guru) is a very good football job to have and he doesn’t have the pressure 

he can pick and chose who he wants to work with.

i really don’t see it happening but I would really like Brandon Streeter from Clemson... he is young and has worked with a some good young QBs in Deshaun Watson and Trevor Lawrence 

He definitely will be rising the ranks sooner than later

How about the return of AVP?

9 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Nah - once again it is a promotion - in terms of dollars and responsibility. Just because the league considers it “lateral” in terms of what the current team is able to block, doesn’t it make it any less of an opportunity for growth for Culley 

Right. I'm not saying it's lateral because it's bad for Culley, just pointing out that the Bills definitely knew he was interviewing.

12 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Both make a ton of sense. I threw Rob Chudzinski's name out there in the Palmer thread as a guy with McDermott connections who was good for Cam Newton. I really like the idea of Dorsey. I think he'd be a great fit with Josh Allen. 

Chud's never been a QB coach and not sure I want him taking that first job with us. Personally I would have preferred Chud as our OC over Daboll. 

23 hours ago, Bills2ref said:

I heard the get back coach is available ?

I remembered this post while I was on Facebook and saw a video of this guy.  I wondered what you were talking about.  WTH?!?!?!  I can't believe an NFL coach has a guy following him along the sidelines to back him up if a play is coming his way or he gets too close to the field.  Wow.

On a second note, I see this guy, who is on Sean McVay's staff, is being mentioned by some people:  Shane Waldron - Rams Pass Game Coordinator:

https://www.therams.com/team/coaches-roster/shane-waldron

I think the “Bills Hire Culley as QB Coach” threads are too old to bump here, but I distinctly recall zero enthusiasm for the hire at the time. I’m sure some of the same posters are now expressing disappointment that he’s moving on. I guess he did a good job grooming Nathan Peterman for his star turn. 

Seriously: I admit I don’t know a damn thing about whether a particular position coach is good or bad, so I refrain from commenting on these moves. If he’s in demand, I guess he’s considered kind of good. 

On 1/29/2019 at 10:20 PM, 2018 Our Year For Sure said:

Andy Reid always helps his guys move on and I'm guessing Derm shares that philosophy. One good consequence is that guys may be more open to working for him.

They certainly are.  He has unofficial golden parachute contracts.  Sign for a few years, get cut after a year and get paid for remaining years while you do other things - spend time in college looking at what they are doing in college ball, take a sabbatical overseas, etc.  Based on how easily he lets them go or dismisses them all of the contracts should be one year.

Here's Culley talking about plans for Baltimore... I had a chuckle when I heard how many he times he said that receivers have to be able to catch the ball... maybe a sore spot in his recent memory ? (WR segment starts after 3:00)

Edited by One Buffalo
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, One Buffalo said:

Here's Culley talking about plans for Baltimore... I had a chuckle when I heard how many he times he said that receivers have to be able to catch the ball... maybe a sore spot in his recent memory ? (WR segment starts after 3:00)

Probably a sore spot from his time in KC, too. I think they went almost a whole season at one point without a WR catching a TD.

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

Yikes 

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2015/9/28/9410487/kansas-city-chiefs-wide-receivers-touchdown-streak

"At season's end, the Chiefs had a 9-7 record, but became the first team to play a 16-game season without a wide receiver catching a touchdown pass. They extended that streak to 21 games this season"

13 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Probably a sore spot from his time in KC, too. I think they went almost a whole season at one point without a WR catching a TD.

...maybe he'll convince Harbaugh to sign UFA Benjabum as a solid addition to his corp............

13 hours ago, Captain Murica said:

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2015/9/28/9410487/kansas-city-chiefs-wide-receivers-touchdown-streak

"At season's end, the Chiefs had a 9-7 record, but became the first team to play a 16-game season without a wide receiver catching a touchdown pass. They extended that streak to 21 games this season"

Yeah..........about that whole Patrick Mahomes wouldn't have been great in Buffalo because.........ya' know.......duh...the Bills don't have the incomparable passing game guru Andy Reid.

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Yeah..........about that whole Patrick Mahomes wouldn't have been great in Buffalo because.........ya' know.......duh...the Bills don't have the incomparable passing game guru Andy Reid.

...now there's a REAL valid comparison....McDermott-2 yrs HC experience versus Andy Reid-19 years HC experience......sounds fair to me...SMH.....

6 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...now there's a REAL valid comparison....McDermott-2 yrs HC experience versus Andy Reid-19 years HC experience......sounds fair to me...SMH.....

No direct comparison was made.

But since you brought it up.......how many years of HC experience did McVay and Pederson have when they got Goff and Wentz?

People like you are why we can't have goal posts on wheels.

15 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

No direct comparison was made.

But since you brought it up.......how many years of HC experience did McVay and Pederson have when they got Goff and Wentz?

People like you are why we can't have goal posts on wheels.

...don't go off topic.....point is you can do a better job of hiding your bias and vitriol for Bflo.....a typical diversion.......with the usual personal insult thrown in.....as expected.....how sad............

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy
  • Like (+1) 1

• 1 month later...

Thought I'd add a little recent "inside info" to this thread.  Won't reveal my source but the info is trustworthy; otherwise I wouldn't post it.  Here are the salient points:

1 -- David Culley was "worthless" with respect to Josh's development (the comment "didn't know what he was doing" was uttered)

2 -- Neither Peterman nor McCarron were helpful

3 -- Once he joined the team Derek Anderson became the de facto QB coach

4 -- The Bills offered Jordan Palmer the QB coach job but Jordan "is enjoying his life the way it is" -- enter Dorsey

Take it for what it's worth.  We certainly saw the development in Josh towards season end.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 4