Taking on Blake bortles contract?????

Heff

11 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

I may have gone a bit overboard. 

I just dont want anything to do with him. 

He wouldnt step foot in the building. Youre trading 6.5 million(saw it upthread didnt check for self)in cap space for two draft picks. Its a no brainer if offered. 

11 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

So you’d rather have an absorption of a substantial contract because of a 2nd and 5th, knowing less than 10% of fifths ever start, vs. going after a couple of WR and a Guard or Center, and then have more talent when we draft as we already have two 2nds.

Doesnt make any sense to me as I live in FL and he is not good at all, but I do welcome you to the board.

Like others have said youre just taking on his cap hit and cutting him for two draft picks. Hes not saying trade for him and have him compete with josh.  

We have plenty of room to go after free agents as well. When did we get another 2nd?

Edited by Not at the table Karlos

1 minute ago, machine gun kelly said:

Not worth it.  We a.ready have 10 picks and need strategic free agency and cap Mgmt to sustain this team.

Who are you spending 90 million on in the next two offseasons not including the cap possibly going up over that time or mccoy and clays contract coming off the books

You can trade the picks to move up if needed. 

Edited by Not at the table Karlos

43 minutes ago, Just Joshin' said:

If I recall these types of straight moves are not allowed.  Cleveland had to keep him and make it look legit, not trade and cut.

What rule apecifies that you  can’t do the trade ?    Cleveland did not have to do anything special once they had Osweilier .  In fact ,  they cut him . 

If it's extra draft picks we want, I'd rather just trade down. 

If it's Blake Bortles as a #2 QB that interests us, I'd rather just keep Barkley.

If it's excessive cap space we're looking to recklessly fill, I'd rather just overspend on offensive linemen.

If it's the Jaguars franchise we're willing to help, I'd rather not help them because of Marrone and the 2017 playoffs (and the 1996 playoffs too).

Hey hey let us get creative. What about Bortles, Fournette and 2nd for Charles Clay and Lesean McCoy? Yes we take on about 22 mill in salary but save 10 mill so net is 12 mill for a high second rounder and Fournette.

and then waive Bortles before the season. Don't want him beyond preseason.

Edited by IgotBILLStopay
  • Like (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Hmmm, interesting scenario.  We certainly have the cap room to do it.  I dont know his contract details...what is the size and length of it?  Also, what is the cap hit if we trade for him and then cut him?  Would it just be dead cap space this year?  If so, I would absolutely trade for him and get their 2nd and 5th round picks.  We got cap room to have some dead money this year in exchange for a 2nd and a 5th.  But if it screws the cap up for a couple years, then less interested.  

We've got some time to ponder this scenario and see where we're at with FA'cy when the draft rolls around. I wouldn't even want a 5th. We have enough late round picks and you're not gonna get much value in a trade with that pick. 2nd this year and 3rd next. This is definitely a possibility as Jax is in SERIOUS cap trouble. 

Edit. The number of posters who don't seem to understand this concept is startling. I'm sure they're terrific people, but c'mon man!

Edited by LSHMEAB
  • Like (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

I don’t want to sound rude on one of your first  threads

Blake Bortles.  

Why????   

He’s not that good.  And with a high salary not worth it 

The point is to absorb the salary for a year for the pick. Not to actually play Bortles. 

I dont think it'd happen, however, the timing works out where they might be able to do it. If they miss out on some FAs and still need another player they can pull the trigger before the draft. Or maybe their is some kind of league year guarantee with Bortles. I'm definitely not spending any time on looking up his contract details.

13 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

I think we have to know how much of his contract we would have to eat in order to even formulate an opinion about this.  Essentially, we are trading cap $ for draft picks.

OP....what are the specifics of his contract?

Just $6.5M of his 2019 contract is guaranteed..........so that's what it would cost in cap space to trade for him.

It would be a sellers market if the Jags offered up a pick for someone to take him............lot's of teams with lot's of cap room.

Edited by BADOLBILZ
  • Thank you (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, boater said:

Your creativity is noted, and appreciated.

I tried to reply with an eloquent post about the value of picks versus cap hit.. but found it hard to verbalize. Short story: a 2nd and 5th for a disposable player is not something the Jags would offer (even to evade a cap hit).

The Bortles market will heat up after the draft.

Let me clarify...I am not suggesting Jacksonville would do this.  The OP suggested that compensation, I was just pointing out the details the scenario to some who seem to think it was about trading for Bortles which is was not.  And I just stuck with the proposed compensation the OP suggested.  

I would do it if I am the Bills as long as its a short term cap hit.  But I do agree, I do not think they will give us a 2nd and a 5th to take Bortles off their hands.  Then again, I am not familiar with how bad their cap situation is either.  Houston gave up almost that much to get Cle to take Osweiler, so it's possible. But I still doubt we would be offered this much to do it.  

However, if we are and the hit can be absorbed all this year by cutting Bortles, then yes, take him on and pick up those picks and just cut him.  

2 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

We've got some time to ponder this scenario and see where we're at with FA'cy when the draft rolls around. I wouldn't even want a 5th. We have enough late round picks and you're not gonna get much value in a trade with that pick. 2nd this year and 3rd next. This is definitely a possibility as Jax is in SERIOUS cap trouble. 

Ahh well there you go...if Jags cap situation is in serious trouble, then this suddenly gets more real in terms of getting at least a 2nd from them.  

Edited by Alphadawg7

Just now, BADOLBILZ said:

Just $6.5M of his 2019 contract is guaranteed..........so that's what it would cost in cap space to trade for him.

It would be a sellers market if the Jags offered up a pick for someone to take him............lot's of teams with lot's of cap room.

In that case, I’d do it in a heartbeat for a 2nd rounder and change.

1 minute ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I'm sure I read Jax would absord a 16 mil dead cap hit if he were cut. Are you sure about those numbers? 

Either way, my guess is we don't even approach the cap.

Just now, ShadyBillsFan said:

That’s another reason why I wouldn’t do it.  

Being Petty only hurts us.  Who cares about Marrone, if we can trade rape them for some free picks to just cut a guy, then by all means do it.  We benefit a LOT more than they will.  

28 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

I may have gone a bit overboard. 

I just dont want anything to do with him. 

In the words of Michael Corleone "Its just business not personal"......

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1