Buffalo Sabres & NHL 2018-19: Sabres picking 7th overall (6/21/19). Ralph Krueger hire as new head coach!

BillsFan4

1 minute ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

Can’t help but wonder how the injury impacts Skinner’s future. 

Honestly surprised they didn’t go after the guy who tripped him. Maybe thy didn’t see it or find it to be dirty. Either way, I like a team that will throw down for their best player when he is in pain on the ice after an apparent trip.

That’s what I said, nephews said I am old time.  

53 on ice to start 3 Ed? Wow

9 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

That’s what I said, nephews said I am old time.  

53 on ice to start 3 Ed? Wow

That’s all anyone needs to know about Skinner. I have to change my choice to him over Panarin. Can’t coach what has got. 

Great game by buffalo today. They pretty much dominated the play most game. They weren’t going to be denied.

Even the analytic numbers looked good today - http://naturalstattrick.com/

2 good games in a row. Hopefully that Tampa game gave them their confidence back like Dahlin said it did and they can go on a nice run to finish the season (draft position be damned...).

I’m not holding my breath, but hey I can hope right? lol   

No matter what happens down the stretch here, I just want to see them keep playing the way they did the past 2 games. If they keep playing like that, they will eventually started winning more than they lose. This team needs to learn consistency. 

3 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Unsung game puck...Evan Rodrigues.  Not the most talented kid, but he’s a mosquito...annoying...disruptive.  I like he and Thompson for the future.  Where was Mitts?

I like E Rod. He does a lot of little things. Mitts has been a disappointment.

5 minutes ago, billsfanmiami(oh) said:

Mittlestadt has NHL level hands and skating ability.  Good vision too.  But he’s inexperienced and he’s not physically “there” yet, IMO.  Needs to put some weight on his ass.  Probably could have used a season in Rah-chah.

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, billsfanmiami(oh) said:

Mitts was playing college hockey last season...give the kid a break....he is playing a mans game this year

• Like (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, billsfanmiami(oh) said:

Mitts belongs in this league. You’ll be singing a different tune in a couple years. 

1 hour ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Probably could have used a season in Rah-chah.

The Sabres probably would have liked that as well.   I suspect getting him to turn pro may have required a promise he'd be with the big club this season...

Great game.  Strong effort.  I thought the Capitals played a sloppy game though.  Missed a lot of passes.

Real toughness shown by Skinner.  He plays with heart and puts it all out there.  I thought for sure when I saw the ankle twist like it did it was wither a severe sprain or a break. 

I will bet $100 he won't be back on the ice for 2 weeks though.  Injuries like that where you play through it on adrenaline and pain killers will end up stiffening up really bad overnight.  He'll be on crutches for at least a week.

2 hours ago, zevo said:

Mitts was playing college hockey last season...give the kid a break....he is playing a mans game this year

And Dahlin is 18 and regularly one of the best on the ice. I’m not saying Mitts can’t / won’t develop, but I just think he’s been disappointing overall this year. 

1 hour ago, bdutton said:

Great game.  Strong effort.  I thought the Capitals played a sloppy game though.  Missed a lot of passes.

Real toughness shown by Skinner.  He plays with heart and puts it all out there.  I thought for sure when I saw the ankle twist like it did it was wither a severe sprain or a break. 

I will bet $100 he won't be back on the ice for 2 weeks though.  Injuries like that where you play through it on adrenaline and pain killers will end up stiffening up really bad overnight.  He'll be on crutches for at least a week.

God if I had 100 dollars I’d take that bet...

1 hour ago, BillsFan4 said:

Wow! It looks like Columbus is really going for it! 

This is will be pending unrestricted free agent #4 for Columbus.

And 3 of them are big time, top dog type free agents. 

It’s exciting for the fans - they are really going for it.  I still don’t think Bob is good enough in the playoffs to win a series - he hasn’t proven that he can. If they keep him through the trade deadline that is.  I’m just skeptical. But I’ll be excited for the city if they can actually do something this year. If they don’t, could get ugly for Torts.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

It’s exciting for the fans - they are really going for it.  I still don’t think Bob is good enough in the playoffs to win a series - he hasn’t proven that he can. If they keep him through the trade deadline that is.  I’m just skeptical. But I’ll be excited for the city if they can actually do something this year. If they don’t, could get ugly for Torts.

I respect Jarmo going all in (if that’s what he does, which looks somewhat likely).

As you mentioned, they’ve never won a single playoff series in their (almost) 20 year existence. And after many years of rebuilding and finally climbing out of it to respectability, they are about to lose 2 of their best players (Panarin being their best player). So I get the “now or never” aspect of it. 

But yeah, it could get real ugly. As you mentioned Bob tends to save his crappiest play for the playoffs. Plus the East is ridiculous this year. 

Hoping for for the best for them. I can identify with their fan base/city/team. They’ve gone through lots of suffering too, and deal with some of the same issues we do in buffalo re:player recruitment (etc). Plus I always like rooting for the small market underdogs.

But I just don’t see it. Not this year anyway. 

Edited by BillsFan4
  • Like (+1) 1

The below link is an article written by WGR's Brayton Wilson on Edmonton's former high draft pick of Jesse Puljuarvi. This is a player who was rushed and has struggled. He certainly has elite offensive skills but he has had trouble adjusting to the  NHL hockey game that requires emphasizing the defensive side of the game. He's still very young and has a lot of upside. But after reading the column it appears that he was rushed. In hindsight, it would have been better to start him off in the minors and let him develop. He's only 20 and has a lot of upside.

As was noted in the column this is a player who needs a change of scenery. I wouldn't mind considering him in a trade.

https://wgr550.radio.com/articles/opinion/interesting-case-jesse-puljuj-rvi

42 minutes ago, JohnC said:

The below link is an article written by WGR's Brayton Wilson on Edmonton's former high draft pick of Jesse Puljuarvi. This is a player who was rushed and has struggled. He certainly has elite offensive skills but he has had trouble adjusting to the  NHL hockey game that requires emphasizing the defensive side of the game. He's still very young and has a lot of upside. But after reading the column it appears that he was rushed. In hindsight, it would have been better to start him off in the minors and let him develop. He's only 20 and has a lot of upside.

As was noted in the column this is a player who needs a change of scenery. I wouldn't mind considering him in a trade.

I don’t have time to read John, but is he suggesting Risto on the trade? 

3 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

No, he didn't offer anything specific other than to say picks and a prospect. The point of the column is that he wasn't handled  right and was rushed. He came to the conclusion that from Edmonton's and the player's interest maybe it is best to move him. 

This is my added commentary to the subject. The advantage of playing in the AHL (for us Rochester) is that the young players get a lot of playing time and development time. That's why although I am impressed with Pilut I'm not against him get the work in Rochester after getting a taste of the NHL. In addition, because we have cap space, picks and prospects the Sabres are in a good position to make deals in the offseason. I am adamantly opposed for the Sabres to give up assets for a rental player/s this year. It might make sense for Columbus to role the dice but not for us. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, JohnC said:

The advantage of playing in the AHL (for us Rochester) 

OT.   Leo really surprised me with this one.   Great read....

https://www.democratandchronicle.com/story/sports/hockey/nhl/sabres/2019/02/21/joe-crozier-rochester-amerks-buffalo-sabres-ahl-nhl-toronto-hall-of-fame-dementia-hockey-calder-cup/2554235002/

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

Good article. He’s not the first prospect Edmonton has rushed and ruined in recent years. Given his defensive shortcomings, I can see why Hitchcock won’t give him meaningful minutes and a change of scenery is needed. I’m not sure he’s what we need at this time though as we have a similar prospect in Tage Thompson, imo. 

9 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Good article. He’s not the first prospect Edmonton has rushed and ruined in recent years. Given his defensive shortcomings, I can see why Hitchcock won’t give him meaningful minutes and a change of scenery is needed. I’m not sure he’s what we need at this time though as we have a similar prospect in Tage Thompson, imo. 

You point out the core of the issue. Are a prospect's defensive liabilities greater than one's offensive assets. My belief is that you can elevate to a reasonable extent a player's defensive play but you can't teach the elite offensive skill that the highly drafted Edmonton player has. (Skinner is a high end sharpshooter whose defensive skills are not at the high end of the scale. But his offensive prowess is greater than his defensive liabilities.) The issue is whether Puljujarvi can improve his defensive game to an acceptable level. The shame of the Edmonton situation is that they wasted developmental time with him in the NHL when more time and a more conducive learning setting could have been used in the minors. 

With respect to Tage he is mostly an offensive player. But what I have seen from him is an earnest effort to play a better defensive game. He's not just floating around for offensive opportunities but is in there working. His game is clearly not a balanced game. The issue with him as I see it is that he is not physically mature enough to match up. But I believe in time with his physical maturation he will be a good player for us. Maybe it won't be as a second line player but as a third line player. He also can have a role on the power play. I would be fine with that. 

An interesting comparison between the Edmonton and Sabre organizations is how they handled their highly drafted and skilled players. I don't know for sure (but believe so)  if Nylander is going to be a good NHL player but what I can say for sure is that we handled him better than how Edmonton handled their young talent. 

36 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Thanks for the link. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, plenzmd1 said:

Is Risto your new cause for jettisoning? He is a workhorse and one of our authentic muscle players. Despite the analytics I would prefer keeping him as one of our core players. That is not to say that I wouldn't be open to deal him or anyone if the deal made this team better. 

When you say up I say down. When you say stop I say go. When you say fire him I say keep him. You are my guidance. :)

• Haha (+1) 1

The problem with Jesse Puljujarvi is that he will lose his waiver exempt status by the end of this season. He is nearing the 160 NHL games played threshold where you lose waiver exempt status. 

So, unless he’s sent to the AHL soon you will have no choice but to devote an NHL roster spot to him. 

His entry level contract is also up at the end of this year, but that isn’t as big of a deal. 

• Like (+1) 1

I am starting to think there might be something to all these Risto trade rumors. I’ve heard a few credible people say it now (going back months). 

I get it, sort of. He’s been here through all the losing and there have been numerous reports over the years of him (supposedly) being one of the most uncoachable Sabres. 

Plus, he makes a lot,of dumb mistakes (over and over again). 

But man, they better get a return they can’t rurn down. No interest in another all futures based ROR type trade. They need a sure thing. And if they’re sending him to division rival Tampa... they better get something they just can’t refuse. 

My ideal risto trade would be to Winnipeg for Trouba (since he reportedly doesn’t want to sign long term with a canadien team). 

Edit -heard Dreger shot down the rumors.

hope he’s right. Tampa is making a cup run. They aren’t going to give any big pieces off their roster and I have zero interest in trading Risto for a futures package. 

Edited by BillsFan4

Whoa! I love it! 

Montour is a heck of a defenseman. He’s a right shot, which was a huge hole, he’s only 24 and is still an RFA when his deal ends. 

and Guhle was really struggling in Rochester.

hoping its our highest first (as in latest in the round). 

Edited by BillsFan4