Updates from Senior Bowl week in Mobile, AL

YoloinOhio

2018 Senior Bowl had Josh Allen (QB), Levi Wallace (CB),  Siran Neal (CB), Taron Johnson (CB), Harrison Phillips (DT), and Wyatt Teller (OG) as participants.  Watching the game to see future Buffalo Bills.  Beane got his money's worth from scouting it last year.

• Like (+1) 6

4 hours ago, RPbillsfan said:

I'm sorry but spending on the O line makes your QB, running game, passing offense better and keeps them on the field longer also helping the defense.

3 players and 2 picks are needed to add to Dawkins, Teller and Bodine and we possible Bottinger would have us set for years.

You may not need Bodine if you do things right. 

No solid OL = no solid offensive.  It's time the Bills learned.

• So… about these quarterbacks. Let’s get through this quickly. Trace McSorley proved he isn’t a draftable commodity. Daniel Jones had some first-round buzz entering the week but he struggled immensely. Everything was calculated, his ball velocity was poor and nothing looked natural. He was pressing hard throughout the week. Ryan Finley was Ryan Finley… primed for a long carer as a backup. Drew Lock was clearly the best of the group but he didn’t put on a show like we’ve seen in recent years at the Senior Bowl from Baker Mayfield, Josh Allen and Carson Wentz. That said, he was in a tier of his own.

• Like (+1) 2

On 1/22/2019 at 4:02 PM, whatdrought said:

He'll probably move up the board like Anthony Miller did last year. Hopefully the abundance of big body receivers will keep him lower and we can snag him in the third. 

does he has a slower 40 time?  someone who started a thread yesterday said he looked slow.  Could be nice to grab one more fast guy, and a big Kelvin Benjamin type--but one who can actually, you know, catch the ball! 

On 1/24/2019 at 9:27 AM, FeelingOnYouboty said:

He's close friends with Harrison Phillips too. He's been a great college player for 4 years. There's a great chance he's a very good NFL player. I like the idea of having Dillard and Bradbury. Two of the best OL athletes this year. 

Beane/McDermott have their hands full because we need at least 3 new starters next year on the OL.

This. I’ve spent the past three years living outside of Durham and watching a ton of Wolfpack games. Bradbury is probably the best center prospect in the draft. It’s amazing how technically proficient the kid is considering he’s only been an o lineman for three years. As good a prospect as he is there’s still a lot of room to improve. Bonus is that he has a similar disposition to K Williams. The only thing I’d worry about is scheme fit. I doubt he’ll ever be a power guy with his frame. 

Also, keep an eye on Udoh. Elon is a small Christian school in N.C. The kid’s lacking in technique, but he has all the physical tools. Could be a late round prospect.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, RyanC883 said:

does he has a slower 40 time?  someone who started a thread yesterday said he looked slow.  Could be nice to grab one more fast guy, and a big Kelvin Benjamin type--but one who can actually, you know, catch the ball! 

I would love to get Deboo Samuel in the second and Anthony Johnson in the 4th.

• Like (+1) 1

22 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

That poor DB

Everything I read and see about this guy are glowing. "Will have a long career, very smart, excellent routes and hands" etc. 

So why are people also talking about grabbing him in the 4th? Why isn't he a first round talent?

21 hours ago, arcane said:

Everything I read and see about this guy are glowing. "Will have a long career, very smart, excellent routes and hands" etc. 

So why are people also talking about grabbing him in the 4th? Why isn't he a first round talent?

He has average size and was one of many WRs on his team so production was there but not “wow”, and not the most “gifted” (i.e. he is overshadowed by Parris Campbell) so he’s looked at differently. He’s not the explosive type and doesn’t have exceptional size, which typically one or both will make a WR a 1st round talent - Or you can be smaller but have all world speed, and/or production vs top corners. I think he did avg 20 yards/catch, but he wasn’t #1 WR in college so most wouldn’t project him to be one in the nfl.  He only played one year in a real passing offense so his #s aren’t what some others will be. OSU technically has starters (which he was 1 of the starting outside WRs) but regularly rotate 6-7 WRs throughout the game. All of that said, his film should match what we saw this week. He was always making plays. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

This is the most critical aspect of the scouting process to focus on and why we need to take with a grain of salt the positive and negative hype we hear all week. EVERY ONE of the draft eligible prospects will have had EVERY snap of their career broken down seven ways to Sunday by the scouting community before draft time. If a prospect's outstanding senior bowl week doesn't match up with what he's put on tape, he's not going to rise much, if at all.  More important than the play they display during the week, are the interactions they have with various team personnel and their teammates throughout.