Cash?  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Do you still use cash?

• Cash
    • Check
    • Credit Card
    • Crypto-currency
    • Phone based payment

I never carry much more than $20 on me.  When I'm close to running out, I head to the ATM and get another $20.  The wife is the same exact way.  We actually had a really nice streak going last year where we never went to an ATM for about 6 months.  She's a teacher and they tutor some a couple kids after school for cash.  We set that cash aside in the house (no, not in the mattress) and took a $20 when we needed it.  The whole thing was perfect and I hate that the streak died.

This year we've had the exact opposite from that tutoring gig.  The parent's always pay her with a check so instead of avoiding the ATM all together, we wind up heading to it far more frequently.  I know there are other check cashing options available now, but I'm not on board with those yet.

4 minutes ago, row_33 said:

i enjoy going to the grocery store a few times a year and cashing in a few Big Gulp cups filled with change for $200 after the 9% fee. 

I'll load up my pockets with pennies and use all of them at the self cashout machines at any store.  I'm pretty sure that I'm the reason why the machine we have in our office self-serve snack/drink kiosk no longer accepts change.

21 minutes ago, shrader said:

I'll load up my pockets with pennies and use all of them at the self cashout machines at any store.  I'm pretty sure that I'm the reason why the machine we have in our office self-serve snack/drink kiosk no longer accepts change.

We've basically eliminated the penny up here, round up or down except on card transactions.

Tips...I travel a lot, so valets, bellman, housekeeping.  I always try to have some cash.    The dispensaries in NV only take cash by the way. 

Other than that it's all cards or some form of E-pay...

51 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Always have some cash.  It seems like everyone and their brother has kids, grandkids, and other relations selling raffle tickets, or cash calendars, or fruitcakes.  Few of them have a portable terminal handy to process plastic.

So you've been handed an easy out for these sales and you don't take it?

I get cash back on my credit card, so I use it whenever possible. Two important things: 1) I don't spend more just because I don't see the money exchanging hands, and 2) I pay my entire balance every month so I don't get interest charges.

I usually keep $20-$40 in my wallet, but it's rare that I use it.

2 hours ago, shrader said:

So you've been handed an easy out for these sales and you don't take it?

Correct!  My interactions with others tend to be limited to those I know.  Therefore it’s more than likely I will support whatever ‘cause’ someone is offering.  If I lived in a large city, I might not carry as much.

7 hours ago, row_33 said:

i enjoy going to the grocery store a few times a year and cashing in a few Big Gulp cups filled with change for $200 after the 9% fee. 

why in the world would you pay someone $20 to take your $220?

Edited by Foxx

1 hour ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Was that negotiated, or did you go in with Vito and Guido and tell Wegmans they were accepting meadcoin?

They were very excited to accept meadcoin because, I told them they could market meadStromboli 

• Haha (+1) 2