Our coach...say what you want but he's a class act.

Hebert19

On 12/30/2018 at 5:43 PM, Inigo Montoya said:

Sure he's a good guy,  but he claps a lot.  Can't have a head coach who's a clapper.  I mean he did break the Drought last year.   And he does manage to get guys to play for him even when everyone knows the season is lost.  It is only his second year coaching and he is probably going to get better at his job as he gets more experience at it going forward.  And I guess you can argue that he managed to squeak out 6 wins this year with the lowest payroll roster in the League and a rookie QB.  Sure, he's a class act too, but, what about that clapping....

He needs to be more like Dick Jauron and pretend to be sleepwalking or auditioning for “the walking dead” on the sideline—talk about motivational! 

On 12/30/2018 at 6:55 PM, NewDayBills said:

You can tell he's insecure at times, he claps when he's nervous. Just hope McD realizes how awesome of a position he's in and there is very little chance we don't make the playoffs in 2019 unless he completely botches the draft and free agency. Should be no pressure on him at all.

Or the injury bug hits.  

On 12/30/2018 at 7:13 PM, NewDayBills said:

We have a top 5 defense, a franchise QB, 10 draft picks and 90 million. How can he possibly mess that up? Any halfway competent coach can get us to the playoffs. McD is too smart to screw this up.

1. We had a defense that did poorly against good teams and beat up on some bad ones. The signature performance was probably first Pats game and it's not like we are dealing with elite Brady. Every playoff team we faced put up 30-40 points on us except the Pats and Texans. Embarrassing. 

2. Franchise QB? We have a rookie QB who had an up and down season. I wouldn't even call Baker a franchise guy yet. Mariota and Winston had pretty good rookie years and both of them are pretty darn avg. Not guys that can get you in the playoffs consistently. 

3. 90 million? Sure. So far these guys haven't hit on their signings besides Poyer and Hyde. Everyone else has not panned out well, having more money doesn't mean you become better in free agency. 

Edited by Elite Poster

I'm not sure if McDermott would have done the same thing to honor Kyle Williams' exit from the NFL if it had been a close game.  It was nice that since the score afforded him that luxury he went ahead and did it.  My guess is, being the meticulous coach that he is, he had everything thought out ahead of time - what he would do for Kyle depending on game circumstances.  Classy in any case.  It's not only classy though.  It had long term benefit for the team.  It was both a sign of and a reinforcement of the team mentality he has built in Buffalo.  It was well known among team members the kind of attitude Kyle Williams has had since day one, thirteen years ago.  They could  also see how much the organization appreciated it, and how they themselves wanted to see that Kyle received the honor he deserved.  It's not a stretch then for team members to think, "If I have that same attitude, maybe I will also be appreciated down the road."  Obviuously, the professionalism and team first mentality of Kyle Williams has been a strong positive for this team.  In essence, McDermott would love to encourage the development of a bunch of junior Kyle Williamses for the future.  To that end, it was probably pretty smart to honor Kyle the way he did.

On 12/30/2018 at 7:28 PM, LSHMEAB said:

Who's this Cowler and what does he know about football? Just busting your chops bud.

I like McDermott. Many of the statisticians who I generally agree with look at our point differential from 2017 as a negative. What I took away was that his teams found a way to win tight games. I feel like McDermott has won quite a few more one possession games than he's lost. The blowouts are a concern, but winning the 50/50 contests is not something I'm accustomed to as a Bills fan.

He's pretty conservative, but has done well with what Beane has given him to work with. 2019 is the true test.

What that means is we got lucky, which we did. 

On 12/30/2018 at 3:40 PM, Elite Poster said:

We can list a lot of head scratching things he's done as well. The only thing that matters are wins and right now he is 15-17. 

A losing season next year and it's hot seat time.

If the only thing that matters are wins, then his playoff season in year 1 should buy him a little extra credit. Hell, getting this team to six wins with THIS ROSTER should get him some extra credit, as well.

I do agree he needs to start piling wins next year, but "hot seat" time if he doesn't? Tough crowd.

6 minutes ago, Elite Poster said:

What that means is we got lucky, which we did. 

That's fine. When was the last time we got lucky? The only bad loss this season was against the Jets. That's the kind of loss that was ROUTINE for many years under many different Bills Head Coach's. I don't include Houston. I never really felt like we were in control of that game. I'm certainly not a member of the Process fan club, but there's something to be said for winning 50/50 games. I'll bash him all day for mistakes so it's only fair to give him some credit for something.

1 hour ago, LSHMEAB said:

That's fine. When was the last time we got lucky? The only bad loss this season was against the Jets. That's the kind of loss that was ROUTINE for many years under many different Bills Head Coach's. I don't include Houston. I never really felt like we were in control of that game. I'm certainly not a member of the Process fan club, but there's something to be said for winning 50/50 games. I'll bash him all day for mistakes so it's only fair to give him some credit for something.

Excuse me the only bad loss this season was the Jets? Were you asleep this whole year? We got spanked multiple times until the schedule got easy. Our "top ranked D" only showed up against good teams twice. MNF vs Pats and Texans. Pretty much every other playoff team scored 30-40 on us easily. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Logic said:

If the only thing that matters are wins, then his playoff season in year 1 should buy him a little extra credit. Hell, getting this team to six wins with THIS ROSTER should get him some extra credit, as well.

I do agree he needs to start piling wins next year, but "hot seat" time if he doesn't? Tough crowd.

If we go 6-7 wins next year, you really don't think he will be on the hot seat? If a wild card loss is enough for you to be satisfied for 4 years you need to increase what your expectations should be. 

I spent several years living in Ohio and a lot of you guys sound like the Marvin Lewis defenders. No expectation for greater results but he's a nice guy so why not keep giving it a chance.

2 minutes ago, Elite Poster said:

Excuse me the only bad loss this season was the Jets? Were you asleep this whole year? We got spanked multiple times until the schedule got easy. Our "top ranked D" only showed up against good teams twice. MNF vs Pats and Texans. Pretty much every other playoff team scored 30-40 on us easily. 

Bad loss meaning typical Bills choke loss. The blowouts are a major concern. You seem to have me confused with someone who buys into the process crap. I'm simply pointing out ONE positive aspect of McDermott's 2 years in Buffalo.

• Like (+1) 1

On 12/30/2018 at 3:55 PM, NewDayBills said:

You can tell he's insecure at times, he claps when he's nervous. Just hope McD realizes how awesome of a position he's in and there is very little chance we don't make the playoffs in 2019 unless he completely botches the draft and free agency. Should be no pressure on him at all.

I definately do not think he is insecure.......I work in the area of studying peoples body language and I refer to this as "nervous energy"

It actually can be a motivator to players around him if they pick up the vibe off it

On 12/30/2018 at 5:49 PM, Bill_with_it said:

Nice thread now this is something worthy of discussion!   I agree.

1. He keeps in-house stuff in house.

2. He has learned after the Peterman ordeal that don’t put a player out there if he isn’t ready.

3. He’s installed a team first mentality.

4. He’s been able to pull off a pretty good defensive system once Milano gets back and we can get the linebackers to settle in their gaps (run game).

5. He’s shown he’s not averse to taking a risk that the benefits outweigh the ramifications.

6. He recognizes good defensive talent.

7. He allows the offensive coordinator to call plays.

8. He seems as if he would do anything to take care of his players.

9. He lets the referees have it when they deserve it.

10. He truly believes the team he coaches has a shot every week and isn’t afraid of any team.

The Peterman experiment nearly submarined the situation in Buffalo.  I am glad Josh got playing time but the Peterman debacle was one of the most regrettable starts in NFL history,

On 12/30/2018 at 6:39 PM, DC Tom said:

I like blueberry pop tarts.

(You did say "say what you want...")

Strawberry is better... you idiot ....