How do you measure your devotion to this franchise?

I used to have seasons for years, but had to give them up based on life (house, marraige, job, dog). 

My questions is: does going to the game, buying season tickets, or investing in the team in any financial way, make you a bigger fan than someone who watches at home and has little to no skin in a the game? 

I have had this argument with a friend of mine who goes to every home game. He offered me up tickets twice this year, to which I wasn't able to go. His response is always "dude, what happened? You used to be such a die-hard fan!?" 

I still watch every game, listen to WGR, read a ***** ton of articles and feel as devoted as ever. So to me, not attending games doesn't make me feel like less of a fan, especially since I went for years.

Thoughts? 

Have never shut a game off no matter how bad. Always watch till the bitter or glorious end....ALWAYS

2 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

Is it possible that if you feel the need to measure it, then you aren't going to like the results? 

Seriously, I've been to one game in my entire life and I have no doubts about my fanhood. 

Then I dont question your screen name....it was 17 years ya know.

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

I used to have seasons for years, but had to give them up based on life (house, marraige, job, dog). 

My questions is: does going to the game, buying season tickets, or investing in the team in any financial way, make you a bigger fan than someone who watches at home and has little to no skin in a the game? 

I have had this argument with a friend of mine who goes to every home game. He offered me up tickets twice this year, to which I wasn't able to go. His response is always "dude, what happened? You used to be such a die-hard fan!?" 

I still watch every game, listen to WGR, read a ***** ton of articles and feel as devoted as ever. So to me, not attending games doesn't make me feel like less of a fan, especially since I went for years.

Thoughts? 

Your dog told my dog he’d actually like you out of the house more.   ?

My hat is off to those of you who not only go to so many games, but do it from great distances. I’m good for a game or two a year depending upon location, timing and general convenience, but we have some serious die hards on here!

Having said that, I NEVER turn a game off or look away, regardless of how ugly it can get a times. I record every preseason game aired at 2:00 am and can’t wait to see it. Come next Monday, it’s going to be a long dry stretch....

16 minutes ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

Thoughts? 

....pretty simple.....I'm in year 56.....so my measurement is budget for Pepto Bismol, bourbon and Depends.......and I've blown it for EVERY one of the damn 56 years...next question........

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

Thoughts? 

Fandom is something that's shared.

The game itself is just a product........you can consume that anywhere.

As you get older you realize that the point of going is almost entirely to be among your friends/fellow fans who you go to those games and/or tailgate with.

When you don't go you basically are telling those friends you have more important or better things to do.........which is fine if you do.........but if you are staying home to rake leaves or something then you probably aren't that big of a fan.    That's fine too.  Be you.......just know it goes fast and don't expect those people to keep asking.

Tomorrow is our last tailgate of the year and I won't feel choked up about that at all because the next tailgate will be here in the blink of an eye.........one of the best things about hitting your 30's is after that time flies!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

lets put it this way. the direction the nfl has gone in the last few years with rule changes and the refs with their 25 penalties a game has pushed me away from the game as a whole. 

as for the bills, 45+ years as a fan, I'm still clinging on and watch on sunday and keep up with the team news and can only hope they put a contender on the field soon. time is certainly not my friend.

you know there will be those who have invested "skin" that will believe they are the bigger fan. fact of the matter is, they're not any bigger, they just decided they wanted to invest more "skin". 

• Like (+1) 1

The losing has really sucked the life out of my "devotion." I remember sitting in a bar celebrating a meaningless TD in the season finale against the Dolphins that made the score 31-6 Miami. Pretty sure we went for 2 and didn't convert. I was around 20 at the time. After all these years of losing, I've become much more emotionally numb to negative outcomes. I was a cockeyed optimist at the time and pretty much believed in everything the organization did. How times have changed.

• Like (+1) 1

I measure my devotion by how well I have handled being in an abusive relationship for most of my life.

So pretty much hopelessly devoted.

Signs of Abusive Relationships

Important warning signs that you may be involved in an abusive relationship include when someone:

• harms you physically in any way, including slapping, pushing, grabbing, shaking, smacking, kicking, and punching (causing over drinking, over eating, nausea, bouts of insomnia, frequent throwing up)
  • tries to control different aspects of your life, such as how you dress, who you hang out with, and what you say (pretty self explanatory - just try to go to a Bills game with a deluded Jets or cocky Patriot fan... you do that maybe once in the cheap seats) 
  • frequently humiliates you or makes you feel unworthy (for example, if you were a larger market team we would love you, not black you out, and maybe throw some calls your way at critical times in a game)
  • threatens to harm you, or to self-harm, if you leave the relationship (we could move if you don't build that stadium)
  • twists the truth to make you feel you are to blame for your partner's actions (if the 12th man shows up we will beat NE)
  • demands to know where you are at all times (we now have a mobile app)
  • constantly becomes jealous or angry when you want to spend time with your friends (we finally had folks openly admit that they did not stay to see the great Houston comeback playoff game)
  • Haha (+1) 2

a fan is a fan..how much money ya spend, how many games you go to..none of that matters. When my kids were little, I was lucky to make a game a year. Now they are older, I got pissed I only made a total of 5 home games and 7 total games this year with this god awful schedule. No bigger fan now than I was 12 years ago. For that matter when I was in college, there were a couple years I did not even see a game, let alone attend one..traveling every week for games or meets..no satellite dish or sports bars in es the early 80's..raced to the library early Monday to read the recap in the USA today!

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

you know there will be those who have invested "skin" that will believe they are the bigger fan. fact of the matter is, they're not any bigger, they just decided they wanted to invest more "skin". 

Well like it or not.........that invested skin matters in the measure of devotion.    Pinto Kenny is by far the biggest Bills fan I've ever seen and it's all about the investment.   I actually feel bad for him being locked into all that repetitive ceremony stuff.   He isn't going to stop and let his fellow fans down though because he is committed to being a super fan.

But the more important question really is does it matter "how much" of a fan you are?

IMO, absolutely not.

A fan is a fan is a fan.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Well like it or not.........that invested skin matters in the measure of devotion.    Pinto Kenny is by far the biggest Bills fan I've ever seen and it's all about the investment.   I actually feel bad for him being locked into all that repetitive ceremony stuff.   He isn't going to stop and let his fellow fans down though because he is committed to being a super fan.

But the more important question really is does it matter "how much" of a fan you are?

IMO, absolutely not.

A fan is a fan is a fan.

agree with this.