How Often Do You Go To The Movies?

With Netflix, Hulu, etc, I rarely go to the big movie theater as just a date night or something to do anymore. If I go to the theater to see a movie, it's because A: I can't wait to see it, or B: It's a movie that would be more enjoyable on the big screen. This year, the only thing I've seen at a major theater has been Solo, Bohemian Rhapsody (in IMAX), and Creed II, because I REALLY wanted to see it. Otherwise, I wait for the dollar theater by my house to show it,  which is only 50¢ on Tuesdays. 

EDIT: I also saw A Star is Born, but that was because the movie theater was recently renovated and gave out free tickets as a promotion. The renovation was behind, and it kinda sucked because the only working concession stand was one of the small ones on the opposite end of the theater we were in. 

Edited by The Real Buffalo Joe

I would venture to guess that, before 2018, in the 20 years prior I'd been to a total of 5-6 movies, max.

I've always avoided them because people, in general, are rude pieces of *****.  They bring their kids who are too young to movies that the kids won't even understand.  They get up too much.  They bring in a pantry full of snacks and eat for two hours straight.  Or they get the bucket of popcorn the size of small car and loudly eat that whilst open-mouth chewing.

This year, however, I've gone to 4-5.  For some reasons, the peeves I mentioned above bother me less these days.  They all still happen, but I enjoy the movie-going experience with my son and the conversations that shortly follow.

6 minutes ago, Bills4everNY said:

I go about 15 times a year. There is a multiplex less than 5 minutes from my home and all movies before 6pm are $6 and $5 all day Tuesday.

It costs me $25 just for two tickets. 

8 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

Been probably 12 plus years since I set foot in a movie theater.  This plays perfectly off my post in the Kevin Spacey thread just now.  I'll say it again.   Eff Hollywood.  

That's the reason why I go out of my way to know the least about entertainer's personal lives as possible, especially. Even if I find out something I like about a person, say we share a political belief system, I don't want to know how they feel. When I'm watching a movie, I only care about the character and their life.

3 minutes ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

That's the reason why I go out of my way to know the least about entertainer's personal lives as possible, especially. Even if I find out something I like about a person, say we share a political belief system, I don't want to know how they feel. When I'm watching a movie, I only care about the character and their life.

It's always been hard for me to suspend disbelief.  Likely why I don't go to movies anymore.  They are so outrageous and "fake" these days I can't get into it.  I always joke.  "Oh here comes a trailer!  Let's see how soon a car blows up!"  And one usually does before I even finish my comment. And why do all actors is every scene regardless what it's about whisper in this gravelly voice.  Seriously every damn one of them. Oh that's right.  They're "acting" 

I probably go a half dozen times a year on rainy days during the week. It gets me out of the house, and during the week crowds are VERY light. Sometimes I’m the only person in the theater! The hard part for me is finding something I actually want to see, or I’d probably go more often.

The one by my house is one of the nicer ones with the leather reclining seats, a full bar, etc. (But no, I’ve never been to the bar....probably because it’s usually closed during my odd hours.) I have a buddy who loves Cinebistro for date nights. My family likes it too, but to me it’s just OK. 

Edited by Augie

55 minutes ago, Augie said:

I probably go a half dozen times a year on rainy days during the week. It gets me out of the house, and during the week crowds are VERY light. Sometimes I’m the only person in the theater! The hard part for me is finding something I actually want to see, or I’d probably go more often.

The one by my house is one of the nicer ones with the leather reclining seats, a full bar, etc. (But no, I’ve never been to the bar....probably because it’s usually closed during my odd hours.) I have a buddy who loves Cinebistro for date nights. My family likes it too, but to me it’s just OK. 

You do date night with a buddy at Cinebistro?? 

Not that there is anything wrong with that.  

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Augie said:

Considering the price of soft drinks at those places, I haven't even begun to look at the prices for alcohol. I went to one of those places once, Star Cinema is what it's called here in Texas. Don't know how big the chain is. It was a movie I really wanted to see, and it was the only place with a showing that fit my schedule. I had just had a big steak dinner with family, so I can't speak for the food. They do a decent job of not bothering the other patrons. But I don't like it when I'm trying to watch the end of a movie, and they're having me close out my tab of a Coke Zero and some popcorn. 

• Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

You do date night with a buddy at Cinebistro?? 

Not that there is anything wrong with that.  

I knew that was coming, but I was torn between going back to edit for clarification, and waiting to see who jumped on it first. You win!!!?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Two or three times a year, for the same reasons as the OP stated.

The last two we saw at a theater were Bohemian Rhapsody (I could have waited to stream it, but my wife really wanted to see it sooner) and Solo (we like Sci-Fi on the big screen.)