This board and bills fans in general are funny...QB related

Hebert19

I've been part of this board or other boards for as long as there have been boards.  :)

I started back in the drew Bledsoe days on the buffalo range.  Boy did we hate poor Drew.  Hes a statue.  League is going toward mobile quarterbacks.   Hes a dinosaur.  

Enter losman...hes mobile.   But wow he wasnt the answer.  Not very smart and inaccurate.   We need a passer.  

Enter trent.  Hes accurate but he checks down too much.  We need someone to push the ball down the field.  

Enter fitz.  Hes too much of a cowboy and tries to push the ball too much and is turnover prone as a result.  

Enter EJ.  Big.  Check.  Strong arm.  Check.  Somewhat mobile.  Check.  But he needs to sit for a while.  Oh wait.  Kolb fell.  Toss him to the wolves.  He's terrible.  Cut him.  Worst draft pick ever.  

Enter orton...who most actually liked.  But we still complained that he was too stationary.  A statue.  Need more mobility.  

Enter tyrod.  Holy *****.  Hes mobile but here we go with the checkdowns ahain.  Cant we just have both. 

Enter Allen.  A mobile guy.  With a cannon.  That NEVER checks down.  Pushes the ball.  And for the most part does an ok job protecting the ball.  And we complain that hes inaccurate.  But if he checked down more to improve the accuracy numbers.  We would B word that he checks down too much.  

My point.  Enjoy the ride.  Allen 10x the talent level of any of these bozos.  He doesnt have great accuracy stats not because he's I Inaccurate but because if he needs 10 yards he throws it 15.  We saw Stafford complete more passes last week but on 2 huge plays he threw 5 yard passes on 3rd and 8.  Would that make you happy? 

Once allen learns to take the easy yardage with his arm the same way he does with his legs the numbers will come...and we will have nothing to complain about.  This guy tries to make plays every damn time he has the ball.  Which is exciting.  Once he realizes we can score 5 yards at a time too....look out.  

Edited by Hebert19
  • Like (+1) 25
  • Thank you (+1) 8

20 minutes ago, Hebert19 said:

I've been part of this board or other boards for as long as there have been boards.  :)

I started back in the drew Bledsoe days on the buffalo range.  Boy did we hate poor Drew.  Hes a statue.  League is going toward mobile quarterbacks.   Hes a dinosaur.  

Enter losman...hes mobile.   But wow he wasnt the answer.  Not very smart and inaccurate.   We need a passer.  

Enter trent.  Hes accurate but he checks down too much.  We need someone to push the ball down the field.  

Enter fitz.  Hes too much of a cowboy and tries to push the ball too much and is turnover prone as a result.  

Enter orton...who most actually liked.  But we still complained that he was too stationary.  A statue.  Need more mobility.  

Enter tyrod.  Holy *****.  Hes mobile but here we go with the checkdowns ahain.  Cant we just have both. 

Enter Allen.  A mobile guy.  With a cannon.  That NEVER checks down.  Pushes the ball.  And for the most part does an ok job protecting the ball.  And we complain that hes inaccurate.  But if he checked down more to improve the accuracy numbers.  We would B word that he checks down too much.  

My point.  Enjoy the ride.  Allen 10x the talent level of any of these bozos.  He doesnt have great accuracy stats not because he's I Inaccurate but because if he needs 10 yards he throws it 15.  We saw Stafford complete more passes last week but on 2 huge plays he threw 5 yard passes on 3rd and 8.  Would that make you happy? 

Once allen learns to take the easy yardage with his arm the same way he does with his legs the numbers will come...and we will have nothing to complain about.  This guy tries to make plays every damn time he has the ball.  Which is exciting.  Once he realizes we can score 5 yards at a time too....look out.  

It goes to show... style does not matter. 

All that matters is production and wins.

The NFL has success stories with downfield gunslingers and efficient guys who pick defenses apart with the short-game.  There are success stories with immobile pocket passers and mobile guys who make plays outside the hash marks. 

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, mjt328 said:

It goes to show... style does not matter. 

All that matters is production and wins.

The NFL has success stories with downfield gunslingers and efficient guys who pick defenses apart with the short-game.  There are success stories with immobile pocket passers and mobile guys who make plays outside the hash marks. 

This is true.  Won ugly for all I care.  Ans right now allen is putting us in position to win with not the greatest supporting cast.  Who cares what his completion percentage is.  

55 minutes ago, Hebert19 said:

I love that it flings it out

he Hardly throws checkdowns at all...

3-4 a game to Shady and Co would be acceptable 

Great summary having had a family that’s watched the Bills since the Joe Furgeson days I can honestly say this kids talent level who as Trent Dilfer recently stated maybe something we’ve never seen before..he’s polarizing cause he’s the clearest case in modern football of the eye test vs analytics...and man is he fun to watch play the game 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3

21 minutes ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Great summary having had a family that’s watched the Bills since the Joe Furgeson days I can honestly say this kids talent level who as Trent Dilfer recently stated maybe something we’ve never seen before..he’s polarizing cause he’s the clearest case in modern football of the eye test vs analytics...and man is he fun to watch play the game 

Amen but let’s hope the ceiling is very high and he continues to improve. 

2 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

Amen but let’s hope the ceiling is very high and he continues to improve. 

Time will tell.....I think he will continually to improve as he has been doing so far the later part of this season

59 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

I love that it flings it out

he Hardly throws checkdowns at all...

3-4 a game to Shady and Co would be acceptable 

What I think... (worth whatcha pay for it)...

I think Allen lacks confidence in his ability to throw the checkdown accurately when he's on the move

He will throw it, and throw it decently, when it's a designed short pass (we saw some in his first couple starts)

But by definition, a "checkdown" means either you've looked downfield, nothing there, checking down to your outlet

OR

Have read and understood from the D there will be nothing downfield in the time the D gives you, BOOM get it out now

Allen doesn't have enough experience/understanding to do the latter very often yet

The OL doesn't give him enough time to do the former - usually by the time he's looked downfield he needs to move

He can't throw the short stuff accurately on the run yet

So he just runs

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, JPP said:

Belicheat came out in a presser this week saying Allen is accurate.....If the evil lord himself is saying this than he must be...No??

Not to knock on Allen, but Belicheat also said we had great WRs and TEs.

He always talks up the competition, and our team too before they go out and thump us and he trots off the field with a smirk. 

• Like (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I think Allen lacks confidence in his ability to throw the checkdown accurately when he's on the move

He will throw it, and throw it decently, when it's a designed short pass (we saw some in his first couple starts)

But by definition, a "checkdown" means either you've looked downfield, nothing there, checking down to your outlet

OR

Have read and understood from the D there will be nothing downfield in the time the D gives you, BOOM get it out now

Allen doesn't have enough experience/understanding to do the latter very often yet

The OL doesn't give him enough time to do the former - usually by the time he's looked downfield he needs to move

So he just runs

Sounds about right to me. I’ve seen him on the run NOT make the “easy” toss to an open RB, and just go. Let the RB take the beating! THEY are generally replaceable! But I will say I was very encouraged to see more short throws last week. He CAN do it, and he showed some nice touch at times. 

Progress and hope. That’s what this season is about. 

16 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

OR

So he just runs

There's a difference between checkdowns where you don't give your guy a chance to RAC and the less effective checkdown where you chuck it to the guy who's 2 yards or less past the sticks and there's a lane to throw but no room to run. When the game slows down for Josh, his entire game will improve because he'll recognize the difference. This is going to be crucial in his development. We need to understand that progression was likely to be the last thing to come for Josh as he was viewed as extremely raw coming in. He's an extremely bright guy so I believe he'll pick it up and thrive.

57 minutes ago, WideNine said:

Not to knock on Allen, but Belicheat also said we had great WRs and TEs.

He always talks up the competition, and our team too before they go out and thump us and he trots off the field with a smirk. 

Well i think there might be some ligetimacy in that.....in the sense im thinking bellibutt might been thinking "if i had those scrap heap of receivers on my team i would make them into pro bowlers".....

• Like (+1) 1

I 100% am just saying this for perspective. But we could pile on JA and have him out of town in 4 years as another "loser" spouting hyperbole that he doesn't belong in the league and root for him to fail for the rest of his career. 

Just as we peaked with Tyrod's first year, spouted excuses for any EJ or JP mistake, thought we struck gold with early Fitz, and were enamored with Bledsoe. 

Not saying I think this will happen. Allen is by far looking the best of the bunch in almost every way.. but we are &&&&& about former quartetbacks. We rewrite history like Tyrod didn't save us from potentially the biggest dog**** quarterback camp we've ever seen.

We have more sympathy for %%%%%%% PETERMAN than we do any former starting Quarterback. I guess when you can love so hard. You learn to hate so hard.

*Moderated for content ($) Do not attempt to circumvent the foul language barrier*

• Like (+1) 1