Bills fall from 6th to 10th in Draft Order

Big Turk

47 minutes ago, Clemfield2622 said:

Sorry, don't buy it. Never have. 

Remember when the Bills were 0-8 and had the inside track to the #1 pick in possibly the best draft in NFL history? They brought Fitz in, went 4-4 and ended up picking Dareus, who was about the only non QB bust in the top 11 that year.

Did those 4 big wins carry over to the next year, or did it just stop them from drafting their franchise QB for 7 more years?

Dareus can hardly be categorized as a bust.  Two consecutive pro bowl stunts during his rookie deal.

He only became a bust after the brinks truck backed into him. 

• Like (+1) 3

I have been banging the drum for best draft pick possible for a while now.....

but lets be realistic...this year was ALL ABOUT Josh Allen.....was from the moment he was drafted....shoot...it was when we traded Tyrod Taylor.

We are going to be in a good position to take either a OL or WR and have our pick because the defensive talent is going to push them down to us.

OL - 1st round

WR - 2nd round

RB - 3rd round

Oh....and we do have NINETY MILLION in cap space so there is that as well

3 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

I have been banging the drum for best draft pick possible for a while now.....

but lets be realistic...this year was ALL ABOUT Josh Allen.....was from the moment he was drafted....shoot...it was when we traded Tyrod Taylor.

We are going to be in a good position to take either a OL or WR and have our pick because the defensive talent is going to push them down to us.

OL - 1st round

WR - 2nd round

RB - 3rd round

Oh....and we do have NINETY MILLION in cap space so there is that as well

It seems to me that BPA may well be DL, OL, and WR in rounds 1, 2, and 3 respectively, while also mostly addressing OL in the FA class with that 90 Mil you mentioned. Something like Rashan Gary, David Edwards, and Kelvin Harmon would be phenomenal in my book.

This is a very different draft than last year.  We'll end up in the 7-12 draft slot and be fine getting the dudes we need.

You'll see the top teams looking hard to move back because a lot of them already have their qb.

Last year the scouting department had a big lull between Tremaine in the 1st and Harry in the 3rd.  This draft should be a little more consistent and then heat up with our double picks starting in the 4th round.

Exciting when you know we're taking a RB and WR somewhere in there.  Probably two of each.

3 minutes ago, Da webster guy said:

This is a very different draft than last year.  We'll end up in the 7-12 draft slot and be fine getting the dudes we need.

You'll see the top teams looking hard to move back because a lot of them already have their qb.

Last year the scouting department had a big lull between Tremaine in the 1st and Harry in the 3rd.  This draft should be a little more consistent and then heat up with our double picks starting in the 4th round.

Exciting when you know we're taking a RB and WR somewhere in there.  Probably two of each.

Unless of course they decide to use those extra picks in trade ups...again. 

2 hours ago, Clemfield2622 said:

No, it's not.

Don't get me wrong, while I am excited to see Allen develop, the draft position never stops being important. 3 days after the season ends, you will not remember these useless victories, but you will then immediately wish we picked higher. 

Fans, and I think Allen, will never forget the grudge match win over the budding rivalry Jags this year.

Same if Allen can beat BB and the Cheats first time he faces them. On the road no less. That would be a huge confidence booster and could start a new trend we can only dream of.

12 minutes ago, cba fan said:

Fans, and I think Allen, will never forget the grudge match win over the budding rivalry Jags this year.

Same if Allen can beat BB and the Cheats first time he faces them. On the road no less. That would be a huge confidence booster and could start a new trend we can only dream of.

Member that time the Bills beat the Pats 33-0 in week 1?    How did week 16 go?  ( hint: same score, switch teams )

12 minutes ago, KW95 said:

Member that time the Bills beat the Pats 33-0 in week 1?    How did week 16 go?  ( hint: same score, switch teams )

I will never forget that beat down Bills put on Pats 31-0. A high point in Bills/Brady relationship.

Also will not forget the last game that year.

Not sure what your point is on that. Bills were not developing a rookie QB and Bledsoe decline was on full display.

Edited by cba fan
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, cba fan said:

I will never forget that beat down Bills put on Pats 33-0. A high point in Bills/Brady relationship.

Also will not forget the last game that year.

Not sure what your point is on that. Bills were not developing a rookie QB and Bledsoe decline was on full display.

I guess I've been Jaded for decades.

I just dont see any boost of any kind whether we beat the Pats or not next week.  And let's be honest.  We wont win.

Happy Holidays!

Edited by KW95

3 hours ago, Joe in Winslow said:

This is going to seem contrarian, especially coming from me....but I disagree. Why?

The Bills need OFFENSIVE help in the draft, and from what I've read/heard just about everyone in the top 10 is a defensive star. So rather than have them reach, I'd like to see them drop to take O help.

It's more likely they go BPA with their first pick, whether that be defense or offense, based upon Beane's last public comments regarding FA and the draft. It was posted in another thread that I'll need to track down, but if it isn't smoke and mirrors, it appears Beane would like to address as many needs (primarily offense based as they fall) through FA so they aren't shackled by needs come draft time, and can pick BPA per his preference. That being said, I wouldn't discount Beane entertaining trading back in the first and accumulating more picks, but don't be surprised if we draft a defensive guy in the top 10 should that be where we fall.

Just now, ctk232 said:

It's more likely they go BPA with their first pick, whether that be defense or offense, based upon Beane's last public comments regarding FA and the draft. It was posted in another thread that I'll need to track down, but if it isn't smoke and mirrors, it appears Beane would like to address as many needs (primarily offense based as they fall) through FA so they aren't shackled by needs come draft time, and can pick BPA per his preference. That being said, I wouldn't discount Beane entertaining trading back in the first and accumulating more picks, but don't be surprised if we draft a defensive guy in the top 10 should that be where we fall.

That's what I'm saying I want the team to avoid...by winning.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, KW95 said:

I guess I've been Jaded for decades.

I just dont see any boost of any kind whether we beat the Pats or not next week.  And let's be honest.  We wont win.

Happy Holidays!

I normally am on board for late season draft postion "posturing". That yr Bills started with the 31-0 win and then lost at end of season was perfect. They started season with hope and had a signature win and later when season went south they lost a meaningless game at end of season. Win win, right? I of course still, and will always, want Bills to beat down Pats whenever possible.

This year is different as Bills are developing a potential franchise QB and a lot of young guys also.

I don't se any boost in losing to Pats in a normal Bills beat down. I see confidence building in Allen and a win over Bills greatest nemesis would help him. JMO

Happy Holidays to you as well.

5 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

That's what I'm saying I want the team to avoid...by winning.

Oh I know, but even so it's still likely he still goes BPA (defense or offense) even if we win those two games. While our offense is clearly of greater need, there are still pieces to fill in on the defensive side of the ball in the secondary and along the line, maybe even LB depth given that Edmunds and Milano are likely to miss more time in the future with concussions/injuries. Not that the latter would be worth the first round pick, more so the DL and Secondary with BPA.

Depends on a lot, but I wonder where two wins would land us in the order - even middle to late first might be reaching for a receiver or OL if Little and Williams are already off the board by the time we pick.

Edited by ctk232

Just now, ctk232 said:

Oh I know, but even so it's still likely he still goes BPA (defense or offense) even if we win those two games. While our offense is clearly of greater need, there are still pieces to fill in on the defensive side of the ball in the secondary and along the line, maybe even LB depth given that Edmunds and Milano are likely to miss more time in the future with concussions/injuries.

Depends on a lot, but I wonder where two wins would land us in the order - even middle to late first might be reaching for a receiver or OL if Little and Williams are already off the board by the time we pick.

I mean, we're already at 10, so I'd guess maybe 15 or so?

3 hours ago, PaattMaann said:

I might not remember those wins, but Josh Allen and company will. Believe that. Winnings breeds winning. Confidence breeds confidence. Don't care about draft position. Can trade up, can trade down, can stand pat. Doesn't matter. You play to win the game. 

The bolded is something that I feel strongly about.  Once the organization isn't trying to win it seeps into everything.  Turnarounds can't happen with the same crew that led the tank.  The Browns needed to move on from their GM and HC, even the 76ers in basketball had to do the same thing and that is a sport where tanking works.  The most important thing for 2018 is Josh Allen continuing to progress.  Wins are better than loses draft pick be damned if the wins come from Josh playing better, more consistent, etc.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Joe in Winslow said:

In most years, I'd agree with you on this. But this year, in which most of the first round talent is defensive, it would suit OUR team best to pick later.

Or have a higher pick to trade down with. Teams in need of a quality defensive player are not interested in a 10-12 pick. We need to trade down.