Allen's first 300 yard passing game - when?

When does Josh first pass for 300 yards?  

103 members have voted

1. 1. When does Josh first pass for 300 yds?

• This weekend v Detroit
    • Week 16 at New England
    • Week 17 v Miami
    • First half of next season
    • Second half of next season

He had 2 in college.  It’s probably best to use total yardage when dealing with him.

1 hour ago, njbuff said:

What’s this obsession with 300 yard passing games?

Do you want to win games in 2019 or have lots of 300 yard games and lose?

Weirdly, you can have 300 yards and win.  I do agree 300 is a random number but it’s paonfully obviously the Bills passing game is painfully below average.

1 hour ago, njbuff said:

Hopefully lots of 300 yard games and winning. That would be fun.

1 hour ago, njbuff said:

Because the Bills seem incapable of doing it.....  Yes I know they did it once this year in a blowout......  

All the best QB's are capable of throwing for 300.....  The Bills seem to treat it like a plague.....

5 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

300 yard passers were 64-66-2 this year. I still don’t see why people care about 300 yard games? There isn’t a correlation to winning. 

And how many were when both threw for 300......  Oh that Chiefs/Rams game or Chiefs/Steelers, NO/Atl, LA/Minn.....  What lousy games & QB play......  What a crock when that stat is brought up. 

5 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

It's the measurement of a true QB on this board for some odd reason...

If the opposing team puts up 30+ points (and you're behind) I defy you to show me how often you can win without throwing for 300.

The Bills are anethema about throwing for 300 & that is the issue.

It is not a dirty word!!!

13 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Because the Bills seem incapable of doing it.....  Yes I know they did it once this year in a blowout......  

All the best QB's are capable of throwing for 300.....  The Bills seem to treat it like a plague.....

And how many were when both threw for 300......  Oh that Chiefs/Rams game or Chiefs/Steelers, NO/Atl, LA/Minn.....  What lousy games & QB play......  What a crock when that stat is brought up. 

I never said they were bad games. I said there was no correlation to winning. Teams that’s threw for 300 yards were 2 games under .500. Teams that didn’t were 2 games over .500. Gross stats in general don’t tell a story. Efficiency stats do a much better job of it.

4 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

If the opposing team puts up 30+ points (and you're behind) I defy you to show me how often you can win without throwing for 300.

It’s not an issue though. It doesn’t correlate to winning. It is fun but doesn’t equal wins or losses. 

Edited by Kirby Jackson

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I never said they were bad games. I said there was no correlation to winning. Teams that’s threw for 300 yards were 2 games under .500. Teams that didn’t were 2 games over .500. Gross stats in general don’t tell a story. Efficiency stats do a much better job of it.

It’s not an issue though. It doesn’t correlate to winning. It is fun but doesn’t equal wins or losses. 

Yes it is.  Brees went 5-1 when he threw for 300.....  I'd say it was pretty meaningful in almost every win.  Show me how many wins where the QB threw for 300 it was not necessary and they were just padding stats.....    

It is about as dumb an argument as anyone can make that moving the football up and down the field via passing is a bad thing.

So Big Ben threw for 380 and lost to NO......  Does that make the 380 useless?  How about Mayfield week 17 vs. Baltimore.  The reason they were in the game was because of his passing.

Indy made the playoffs in large part to Luck beating the Giants 28-27 and Manning too threw for over 300, but that's a loss according to your stats (same week 17 as Prescott too threw for over 300).  Rodgers & Darnold, Watson & Foles too......

https://www.footballdb.com/stats/300-yard-passing.html

Yes Matt Ryan & the Falcons were lousy this year, but blame much of that on the Defense.    

56 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Yes it is.  Brees went 5-1 when he threw for 300.....  I'd say it was pretty meaningful in almost every win.  Show me how many wins where the QB threw for 300 it was not necessary and they were just padding stats.....    

It is about as dumb an argument as anyone can make that moving the football up and down the field via passing is a bad thing.

So Big Ben threw for 380 and lost to NO......  Does that make the 380 useless?  How about Mayfield week 17 vs. Baltimore.  The reason they were in the game was because of his passing.

Indy made the playoffs in large part to Luck beating the Giants 28-27 and Manning too threw for over 300, but that's a loss according to your stats (same week 17 as Prescott too threw for over 300).  Rodgers & Darnold, Watson & Foles too......

https://www.footballdb.com/stats/300-yard-passing.html

Yes Matt Ryan & the Falcons were lousy this year, but blame much of that on the Defense.    

Again, examples can be cherry picked to support the case that they matter. When you look at the entire sample teams that threw for 300 lost more than they won. Tom Brady was a 6th round pick too. It doesn’t mean that you will find your QB in the 6th round. There isn’t a correlation between 300 yard games and wins. The record says that.

4 hours ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Good thing we are the #2 defense then :thumbsup:

6 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

He had 2 in college.  It’s probably best to use total yardage when dealing with him.

Weirdly, you can have 300 yards and win.  I do agree 300 is a random number but it’s paonfully obviously the Bills passing game is painfully below average.

And you can have below 300 and win too.  Brady threw for 126 against the bills in a 24-12 win.  And honestly I think that's the lowest number I have ever seen from Brady this decade.

Edited by The Wiz

1 hour ago, billieve420 said:

Give me a QB who makes plays when they need to make plays to win a game and I don’t care for how many yards they throw.

When the QB leads the team to 11 wins then his yards can be looked at

Okay let's look at it another way......  Playoff teams & 300 yard games.....

KC - 10

NO - 6

Rams - 8

Chargers - 5

NE - 5

Indy - 7

Hou - 5

Dal - 2

Sea - 1

Bal - 2

Phil - 7

Chi - 4

Buffalo - 0

And then people bring up Atl or Pitt like it is a terrible thing that they have QB's that throw 300+ and unfortunately sometimes lose games......  

The issue with Buffalo that is well documented is that if they trail by 10 points and the game is over because they can't throw or comeback.

Now let's hope this changes in 2019

Edited by Billsfan1972

On 12/16/2018 at 12:42 PM, LABillzFan said:

I'll never understand people's obsession with this ridiculous stat.

He had 366 all-purpose yard vs. the Fish -- literally twice the entire Fish offense-- and still lost. 

He had 307 all-purpose yards vs. the Jets -- almost 60 yards more than the entire Jets offense -- and still lost.

Turnovers, sacks, penalties, etc. If you don't fix them, the only thing a 300-yard game does is make some people think he's a good quarterback. It's useless.

Amen .... you forgot to add it does not matter when QB’s pile up yards because they are behind and the other team goes into “prevent” mode.

On 12/16/2018 at 12:42 PM, LABillzFan said:

I'll never understand people's obsession with this ridiculous stat.

He had 366 all-purpose yard vs. the Fish -- literally twice the entire Fish offense-- and still lost. 

He had 307 all-purpose yards vs. the Jets -- almost 60 yards more than the entire Jets offense -- and still lost.

Turnovers, sacks, penalties, etc. If you don't fix them, the only thing a 300-yard game does is make some people think he's a good quarterback. It's useless.

Do you think it is a coincidence that 4 of the best QB's in NFL history ALSO have the most 300 yard games in the NFL?

43 minutes ago, BringBackOrton said:

Do you think it is a coincidence that 4 of the best QB's in NFL history ALSO have the most 300 yard games in the NFL?

Not a coincidence at all. Now tell me how many of those 300-yard games got the Big W.

Let's look at 2018 by week, just for the sake of the discussion.

Week 1: 7 QBs had 300+ yard games. Record: 4L/3W/1T

Week 2: 12 QBs had 300+ yard games. Record: 7L/4W/1T

Week 3: 9 QBs had 300+ yard games. Record: 5L/4W

Week 4: 14  QBs had 300+ yard games. Record: 5L/9W

Week 5: 15  QBs had 300+ yard games. Record: 7L/8W

Week 6: 10 QBs had 300+ yard games. Record: 5L/5W

Week 7: 7  QBs had 300+ yard games. Record: 3L/4W

Week 8: 5 QBs had 300+ yard games. Record: 3L/2W

Week 9: 5  QBs had 300+ yard games. Record: 2L/3W

Week 10: 7  QBs had 300+ yard games. Record: 4L/3W

Week 11: 7  QBs had 300+ yard games. Record: 4L/3W

Week 12: 7  QBs had 300+ yard games. Record: 3L/4W

Week 13: 5 QBs had 300+ yard games. Record: 3L/2W

Week 14: 6 QBs had 300+ yard games. Record: 1L/5W

Week 15: 2 QBs had 300+ yard games. Record: 1L/1W

Week 16: 9 QBs had 300+ yard games. Record: 5L/4W

Week 17: 5 QBs had 300+ yard games. Record: 3L/2W

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2018 Season: 132 Games with 300-yard passers: 

Record for those games: 63L/66W/2T

When you can tell me a team with -2 turnovers in a game has a very low win percentage, I can insist that not turning the ball over is critical to winning.

When you can tell me a 300-yard passing game has a high win percentage, I'll tell you to start throwing more

But when you tell me that a 300-yard passing game gives virtually the same result as a sub-300-yard passing game, it becomes a meaningless stat.

Now consider 2018 through the lens of QBs with 300+ yard games and their appearances in the playoffs.

Luck

Roethlisberger*

Brees

Fitzmagic*

Rivers

Keenum*

Carr*

Brady*

Flacco

Newton*

Cousins*

Watson

Mahomes

Darnold*

Foles*

Goff

Stafford*

Bortles*

Ryan*

Dalton*

Trubisky

Mariota

Wentz

Mayfield*

Manning*

Rodgers*

Rivers

Beatheard*

Winston*

Osweiler*

Mullens*

31 QBs with 300 yard Games. More than half are home for the playoffs (as noted by asterisk. Brady is in the playoffs, but he always get an asterisk because he's a cheater).

Again, when it becomes a stat that means you have a higher winning percentage, then yes, it's important.

But it's not, so it's not.

Edited by LABillzFan

10 minutes ago, LABillzFan said:

Not a coincidence at all. Now tell me how many of those 300-yard games got the Big W.

Let's look at 2018 by week, just for the sake of the discussion.

Week 1: 7 QBs had 300+ yard games. Record: 4L/3W/1T

Week 2: 12 QBs had 300+ yard games. Record: 7L/4W/1T

Week 3: 9 QBs had 300+ yard games. Record: 5L/4W

Week 4: 14  QBs had 300+ yard games. Record: 5L/9W

Week 5: 15  QBs had 300+ yard games. Record: 7L/8W

Week 6: 10 QBs had 300+ yard games. Record: 5L/5W

Week 7: 7  QBs had 300+ yard games. Record: 3L/4W

Week 8: 5 QBs had 300+ yard games. Record: 3L/2W

Week 9: 5  QBs had 300+ yard games. Record: 2L/3W

Week 10: 7  QBs had 300+ yard games. Record: 4L/3W

Week 11: 7  QBs had 300+ yard games. Record: 4L/3W

Week 12: 7  QBs had 300+ yard games. Record: 3L/4W

Week 13: 5 QBs had 300+ yard games. Record: 3L/2W

Week 14: 6 QBs had 300+ yard games. Record: 1L/5W

Week 15: 2 QBs had 300+ yard games. Record: 1L/1W

Week 16: 9 QBs had 300+ yard games. Record: 5L/4W

Week 17: 5 QBs had 300+ yard games. Record: 3L/2W

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2018 Season: 132 Games with 300-yard passers: 

Record for those games: 63L/66W/2T

When you can tell me a team with -2 turnovers in a game has a very low win percentage, I can insist that not turning the ball over is critical to winning.

When you can tell me a 300-yard passing game has a high win percentage, I'll tell you to start throwing more

But when you tell me that a 300-yard passing game gives virtually the same result as a sub-300-yard passing game, it becomes a meaningless stat.

Now consider 2018 through the lens of QBs with 300+ yard games and their appearances in the playoffs.

Luck

Roethlisberger*

Brees

Fitzmagic*

Rivers

Keenum*

Carr*

Brady*

Flacco

Newton*

Cousins*

Watson

Mahomes

Darnold*

Foles*

Goff

Stafford*

Bortles*

Ryan*

Dalton*

Trubisky

Mariota

Wentz

Mayfield*

Manning*

Rodgers*

Rivers

Beatheard*

Winston*

Osweiler*

Mullens*

31 QBs with 300 yard Games. More than half are home for the playoffs (as noted by asterisk. Brady is in the playoffs, but he always get an asterisk because he's a cheater).

Again, when it becomes a stat that means you have a higher winning percentage, then yes, it's important.

But it's not, so it's not.

Every stat has to be correlated to winning percentage adjusted for the NFL average to have any meaning at all. 

That’s quite specific, and in my opinion, very short-sighted. Every stat has meaning, in context. Brian Hoyer throwing for 300 yards on 60 passes in a blow out loss doesn’t have meaning, I agree. Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, Drew Brees and Dan Marino having the most career games over 300 yards passing does have meaning.

But I guess taking an extreme position with zero room for context is more fun on TBD.

11 minutes ago, BringBackOrton said:

But I guess taking an extreme position with zero room for context is more fun on TBD.

You think my contention that having a 300-yard game equates to a 50/50 chance of winning is extreme?

Okay. Let's give it your context. You posted that 4 of the best QBs in the history of the NFL have the most 300 yard games. My issue has never been who has or hasn't done it. It's what those individual games mean in the W/L column.

Break down all the 300 yard games that Marino, Brees, Brady and Manning had, and then show the Win/Loss result of those games.

It is a stupid argument.  You need the ability to throw for 300 yards and the fact no one respects the Bills passing game since McD took over is embarrassing.....

Again all I ask is that they show they can throw for 300 yards.  

Somehow we have people here thinking that it was a bad thing Darnold threw for 345 yards vs. GB (Radger threw for 422 and a stirring OT victory).

How about Mayfield almost knocking Balt out of the playoffs, but it was a loss so the 375 yards means nothing.

Of Mahomes losing to the Rams or NE with both Goff & Brady over 3000 too.  Rothliesberger a fumble away from beating NO (Breez over 300 too), but that is a loss.

Here are games that the Bills needed 300 yards to have a shot at winning in 2018.....  Balt, NE x 2, Miami game 1, LAC, Chi, GB, Indy & NYJ.  

The only loss they had this year where the Bills did not need to throw for 300 to win was vs. Houston.......  In every loss if they did throw for 300 heck they may have won a few more games.....

Edited by Billsfan1972

2 hours ago, BuffaloBill said:

Amen .... you forgot to add it does not matter when QB’s pile up yards because they are behind and the other team goes into “prevent” mode.

And teams way ahead grind out the clock