Trusting Daboll

Brian Daboll gets a bad rap for having paid his dues continually.  While, being in flux from the pros to college ranks and learning the ropes as an Offensive Coordinator.  Working with what he has, had injuries to Shady, KB quitting, terrible offensive line play, and guys like Clay who give up so much in the clutch.  Along with Volderman and Derek Anderson; to his credit Anderson tried.  As for the one who shall not be named it proves no OC will ever make him a passable, passer, passing in this day and age.  

3 minutes ago, Augie said:

Is THAT it? 

Have you ever done the Escape Game room? 

Not my thing..... Twice. 

It’s a little bit of PUNishment and humor; as even Rick Dennison has been completely demoted to of all things offensive line Coach for the Jets.  Anyone whose worked with Volderman will never recover professionally he’s like “The Ringu”.  

1 hour ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

I’ll trust Dabol when this teams scores regularly in the 2nd half.   

And not because they have a short field.   

^^^^This. No question he's made strides in his playcalling over the course of the season from where we were, but the jury stays out until the year is done and we can evaluate over the entirety of the season, and probably into next with better weaponry to design around. I was one of the ones calling for his head early on, and have definitely backed off of that for a number of reasons, but am completely sold that he should remain "the guy" going forward? Not yet.  

20 minutes ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

^^^^This. No question he's made strides in his playcalling over the course of the season from where we were, but the jury stays out until the year is done and we can evaluate over the entirety of the season, and probably into next with better weaponry to design around. I was one of the ones calling for his head early on, and have definitely backed off of that for a number of reasons, but am completely sold that he should remain "the guy" going forward? Not yet.  

There are elements of the gun-slinger mentality that Josh Allen flashes that remind me a bit of Brett Favre so I found it interesting that Brett considered Daboll a solid candidate for the Green Bay HC job. I think folks would come to quickly understand how much Daboll has propped up a lack-luster offensive (truly offensive) roster, chuck full of injuries, were he to leave.

In case anyone missed the several articles, this is what Favre had to say about Daboll to TMZ:

"Yeah, sure. I would give them my opinion. No one's asked, not that they should, and I haven't actually talked to any coaches, but I can think of several off the top of my head who if the Packers (asked)--keeping in mind that Aaron Rodgers is the quarterback--would be great choices. At least consideration. And that's Darrell Bevell, who Aaron knows well. Took this year off. Young, energetic, great coach. Brian Daboll, who was at Alabama last year as offensive coordinator. Was my quarterback coach for the Jets. I think he's the OC right now in Buffalo. Very young, energetic, creative mind."

11 hours ago, Thriftygamer83 said:

Brian Daboll gets a bad rap for having paid his dues continually.  While, being in flux from the pros to college ranks and learning the ropes as an Offensive Coordinator.  Working with what he has, had injuries to Shady, KB quitting, terrible offensive line play, and guys like Clay who give up so much in the clutch.  Along with Volderman and Derek Anderson; to his credit Anderson tried.  As for the one who shall not be named it proves no OC will ever make him a passable, passer, passing in this day and age.  

Being in flux and learning the ropes as an OC? You know he was an NFL OC before he was Bama's OC right?

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, dave mcbride said:

I think Daboll calls good games and understands situational football. He's leagues better than Dennison. Talent has been the issue for the Bills. It ain't the playcalling. 

I mostly agree but want to add that being a good OC does far more than just playcalling.

A good OC attracts good position coaches and then coaches them to be even more successful.   He leads effective meetings and walk-thru's to and makes sure the team is ready come Sunday.   He studies film and accurately dissects an opponent's weaknesses and tendencies.  He develops an scheme to successfully attack enemy defenses.  He motivates players to give 100% effort all the time.  And  so on.

The thing is, it's hard to evaluate all that when the basic talent is lacking.  Good players can make average OCs look like geniuses.  Bad players can make any OC look like an idiot.

At this point, I just don't know if Daboll is a good OC.  

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

I mostly agree but want to add that being a good OC does far more than just playcalling.

A good OC attracts good position coaches and then coaches them to be even more successful.   He leads effective meetings and walk-thru's to and makes sure the team is ready come Sunday.   He studies film and accurately dissects an opponent's weaknesses and tendencies.  He develops an scheme to successfully attack enemy defenses.  He motivates players to give 100% effort all the time.  And  so on.

The thing is, it's hard to evaluate all that when the basic talent is lacking.  Good players can make average OCs look like geniuses.  Bad players can make any OC look like an idiot.

At this point, I just don't know if Daboll is a good OC.  

It is a little scary

If we go through a offseason of retooling the offense and we dont come out on fire at the beginning of next year......Deboll is seriously going to be feeling the heat.

Right  now....he excuses are legit.....our OL creates NO running lanes....our QB is a raw rookie......our WR's are young and developing yada yada yada

I fully expect a influx of talent and veterans into this group in the offseason.....and there will be NO excuses.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Naaaaaa

Yeah. He's not getting a HC gig after this abysmal offensive season. He's gonna get a shot to work with JA and improve his league wide rep as an OC, but there's just no way a team could sell that to their fanbase.

1 minute ago, John from Riverside said:

It is a little scary

If we go through a offseason of retooling the offense and we dont come out on fire at the beginning of next year......Deboll is seriously going to be feeling the heat.

Right  now....he excuses are legit.....our OL creates NO running lanes....our QB is a raw rookie......our WR's are young and developing yada yada yada

I fully expect a influx of talent and veterans into this group in the offseason.....and there will be NO excuses.

It is scary.

But I think McD has a better sense of Daboll's skills then we do.

While we only see the product on the field with all its warts, McD gets to see Daboll's "process."  He gets to watch him game plan, coach and prepare.  McD should be able to determine if Daboll's doing the right things.  We know the result is wrong but is the "process" right and just needs better players?