The Trump Shutdown

4 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

I guess I could have. But I have a better grasp of basic sentence structure and logic... so I probably wouldn't say that. 

You've known me for years. 

Have I? 

The truth is out there. 

2 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

All "you" got? 

Some of us were trying to have a conversation. But if you're just here to fight, you might want to pick your ass up off the floor (which you were just used to wipe) first. 

Better. Give me something better, Rhino. 

I know you have it in you. 

You could have talked about bonds if you wanted something thoughtful. Instead you talked to me about the first sentence. The good ol’ red meat stuff.

13 minutes ago, Swill Merchant said:

Can you provide some examples?

This is probably true, but how did you exempt yourself from the human condition?

Im right there with you and everyone else brougham. 

And ive mentioned the examples plenty.  

Edited by Juror#8
  • Like (+1) 1

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Juror#8 said:

Gotcha. 

So let’s first just assume that everything that you’re saying is truth. 

Assumption #1 

Then let’s say that even the things that you posit, that are the subject of any dispute, you are spot on without condition, qualification, context, or uncertainty. 

Assumption #2. 

So stipulating to both, not out of agreement, but just to move this bull#### along, here is what you’re telling me ... 

Basically Trump is comparatively better because the lies he’s been caught in are smaller in dispositional scope. Continuing on (and you correct me if I’m wrong) it appears that you’re contending that Trump is characteristically better because his two years (so far) of frequent lies of smaller, simply agitating, scope are less impactful than a handful of big lies that two others had 8 years to ***** around and manufacture and that we’ve had many more years to uncover. 

So therefore:

1.  What unites liars as scourges isn’t their intentional departure from the truth which is designed to mislead for some gain, but the subject matter that the lie is about. 

2. Lying isn’t the flaw (or bad) in and of itself. 

I don’t know what to say about that. I hope I'm

misreading/misunderstanding your post and that you’re not that ethically suspect.

Oh yea, you also seem to think year-2 Obama and year-8 Obama were treated differently here. Your thesis really relies on it.

Thats a problem and a flaw that fundamentally fractures the point that you’re trying to get across. 

Obama was treated like ***** from the word ‘go’ here. He wasn’t given the same “flexibility” that Trump was. It was everything from his birth certificate, to some vacations, to what Michelle wore to dinner. He was a liar about where he was born, and his capacity to be president. He wasn’t liar about being born in Kenya. 

Month 5 or so. No benefit or any doubt. 

And we’re talking about some of the same folks who carry Trump’s water. 

Go back an reconcile that with what I said in my firstborn post. Let that shed some light and inform what should be a different approach angle for your response. 

Go ahead. Look it up. Do some archival deep diving. 

Though Bman and his vacuousness wasn’t here then, it’s all archived. Since you enjoy research, why don’t you ‘apples to apples’ your thesis and look back for some entertaining comparison and contrasts. 

Its a real hoot. 

But you probably won’t. And that’s ok too. 

Or did you really mean to come at me by comparing 2 years of Trump lies to 8 years of Obama lies outside that context of how one was covered here relative to the other at [relatively] equal points in their presidency. 

Did you really need false equivalency to make that point and use that emoji? 

Come on Rhino ...

I will compare 2 years of President Git 'Er Done to 8 years of Obama ineffectiveness. Obama's temporary accomplishments were based on lies, bribes and unconstitutional Executive Orders.  

http://www.fox13news.com/news/local-news/florida-food-stamp-recipients-to-get-benefits-early-due-to-government-shutdown

Florida food stamp recipients to get benefits early due to government shutdown

Libertarian Party organizes national park cleanups

https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/425154-trump-starts-day-with-call-for-democrats-to-get-to-work-on-border-ive

Trump starts day with call for Democrats to 'get to work' on border: 'I've been waiting all weekend'

19 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

Obama's lies, by comparison, are far worse in terms of their impact on the people and how this country governs. 

Are there partisans on the right who bashed him just to bash him? Yup. No one disputes that. 

But that doesn't mean the criticism of the man is invalid. The more we learn about his deceit the worse he looks. History won't be kind to him, and it's not because of partisan politics, but because of his own actions and crimes. 

There you go, trying to equate them as being the same and why I was offering perspective. They're not the same. One (so far) has been much more dangerous to the country and to the freedom of its people. 

And it's not the Orange man.

You're the one cherry picking, trying to make every lie the same when that's just dishonest. 

Rhino, let’s try this again ...

I was talking about how Obama was received on this board. 

I was talking about how Trump was received on this board.

Trump has been in office two years.

I said that after the same two years, Obama wasn’t received nearly as flexibly and openly. There weren’t the same apologists for every claim and contest and he (Obama) was blasted (in some cases) for small trivialities.

At the same relative points in time. 

I’ve pointed those out anecdotally. 

If you still think we’re talking about the same thing, and if you can’t nuance what I’m saying from what you’re saying, and if you really think that we’re talking about the same thing, then “ok.” 

4 minutes ago, 3rdnlng said:

I will compare 2 years of President Git 'Er Done to 8 years of Obama ineffectiveness. Obama's temporary accomplishments were based on lies, bribes and unconstitutional Executive Orders.  

Gotcha. Thanks for this. 

Edited by Juror#8

2 minutes ago, Juror#8 said:

I said that after the same two years, Obama wasn’t received nearly as flexibly and openly. There weren’t the same apologists for every claim

ant contest and he was blasted (in some cases) for small trivialities.

If you still think we’re talking about the same thing, and if you can’t nuance what I’m saying from what you’re saying, and if you really think that we’re talking about the same thing, then “ok.” 

Gotcha. Thanks for this. 

Someone beat you to it:

https://www.caller.com/story/news/texasregion/2018/12/18/trump-border-wall-gofundme-crowdfunding-campaign-launched-florida-veteran/2352522002/

A GoFundMe campaign titled "We The People Will Fund The Wall" has raised more than $16 million and counting to build President Donald Trump's border wall. 

More than 270,000 people have pledged donations to the campaign created Dec. 16 by a "fundraising team" in Miramar, Florida, according to the campaign page.

Its initial goal of $200 million has been bumped to $1 billion.

"It’s up to Americans to help out and pitch in to get this project rolling," according to the campaign page, which is attributed to Air Force veteran Brian Kolfage Jr. On Sept. 11, 2004, Kolfage became the most severely wounded airman to survive any war in U.S. history, according to reports.    

1 minute ago, Juror#8 said:

I said that after the same two years, Obama wasn’t received nearly as flexibly and openly. There weren’t the same apologists for every claim

ant contest and he was blasted (in some cases) for small trivialities.

I get that. But I think it's a waste of time, I'd rather talk about your position or my position rather than a general "board" position. PPP has always veered right, that's not a shock nor is it a surprise that impacts how some felt about 44 10 years ago. 

But if that's what you wish to focus on I suggest you go back through the early threads from 45. He has/had many detractors on both sides of the aisle down here. He's been called every name in the book - by people on both sides of the spectrum. 

The biggest difference between the fist two years of Obama and Trump is Obama hid behind walls and classifications (despite running on a platform of transparency) whereas Trump has been the most transparent administration in recent memory - for better and worse. 

6 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

I get that. But I think it's a waste of time, I'd rather talk about your position or my position rather than a general "board" position. PPP has always veered right, that's not a shock nor is it a surprise that impacts how some felt about 44 10 years ago. 

But if that's what you wish to focus on I suggest you go back through the early threads from 45. He has/had many detractors on both sides of the aisle down here. He's been called every name in the book - by people on both sides of the spectrum. 

The biggest difference between the fist two years of Obama and Trump is Obama hid behind walls and classifications (despite running on a platform of transparency) whereas Trump has been the most transparent administration in recent memory - for better and worse. 

It may be a waste of time. That’s fair. 

And I don’t think Trump and Obama are one in the same. Both lied. Maybe that’s their presidential pregorative. Maybe they’re just ***** people. Maybe they had good reasons for the whole kit and kaboodle. 

I don’t think Trump has been especially transparent. More so than his predecessor and his predecessor’s predecessor, perhaps. But he’s just like all the rest, I think. 

Anyway, I think we’re back speaking the same language. And still think the bond avenue is the right way out of this wall thing that needs to happen. 

Hope you’re well. Sometimes it’s just fun to talk some shiiiiit with you motherfukers. Appreciate you playing along. 

Edited by Juror#8
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Shout out to Tasker and Rhino and Bman and my nucca Boyst (the homie). 

Wish me luck tomorrow. Arguing tomorrow for the first time in years. Malpractice litty. Placenta accreta ***** up against a medical provider. Im gonna lay my dick out there for the jury. 

Yall got me hyped. Love a little shiiiit talking. I needed this for my nerves. 

If if I get rich off this I’m buying a record company and paying off my defaulted sprint bill. Dave Chappelle reference. Be easy fockers.  

Edited by Juror#8
  • Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, keepthefaith said:

Sometimes but I don't think anywhere near the frequency as is reported or perceived.  IMO he is more often guilty of poorly describing something or his position.  He's often into  subject matter where he lacks knowledge.  He's like the used car salesman that tells his customer that the car comes with a very long warranty.  Then the customer questions why the warranty is for only 1 year to which Trump to would reply and say:  "A year is a long warranty. "  In that exchange, Trump never intended to deceive the customer.  He simply feels that a 1 year warranty is a long time - compared to nothing. 

"I had nothing to do with Russia at all!" 

Trump speaks to the media and takes questions nearly every day.

3 minutes ago, Juror#8 said:

Wish me luck tomorrow. Arguing tomorrow for the first time in years. Malpractice litty. Placenta accreta ***** up against a medical provider. Im gonna lay my dick out there for the jury. 

If if I get rich off this I’m buying a record company and paying off my defaulted sprint bill. Dave Chappelle reference. Be easy fockers.  

Uh, break a leg?

Party of the People... party on!

"Some 30 Democratic lawmakers left the government shutdown behind Friday on a chartered flight to Puerto Rico for a winter retreat with 109 lobbyists and corporate executives during which they planned to see the hit Broadway show “Hamilton” and attend three parties including one with the show’s cast. 

Those attending the Congressional Hispanic Caucus BOLD PAC winter retreat in San Juan planned to meet with key officials to discuss the cleanup after Hurricane Maria at a roundtable Saturday. 

But the weekend is packed with free time for the members and their families on the trip. 

“We are excited for you to join us for CHC BOLD PAC’s 2019 Winter Retreat in San Juan, Puerto Rico! Each year, this retreat serves as a way for our CHC BOLD PAC Members and friends in the D.C. community to come together to escape the cold and discuss our shared priorities for a stronger and more prosperous country,” said a memo on the trip. 

Some 109 lobbyists and corporate executives are named in the memo, a rate of 3.6 lobbyists for every member. They include those from several big K Street firms, R.J. Reynolds, Facebook, Comcast, Amazon, PhRMA, Microsoft, Intel, Verizon, and unions such as the National Education Association." 

• Like (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, 3rdnlng said:

Obama was effective delivering a few of his campaign platforms over the first two years. Then he lost the house.

The last 3 weeks is how ineffective the Federal Government is going to be for the next two years. Nothing is going to be accomplished now that Trump lost the house, just like after Obama lost the house. The parties are too polarized and there's no common ground on anything they want to accomplish. 

Both guys relied heavily on Executive Orders. 

Edited by jrober38
  • Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Juror#8 said:

Good luck tomorrow, but most importantly, may justice prevail. 

15 minutes ago, Juror#8 said:

I'm thinking that's not the best courtroom strategy, whipping out your johnson for the jury to ponder.  But I've no experience with malpractice, and you know the jury, so...hey, good luck.  Don't forget protection.

1 hour ago, Juror#8 said:

It has bearing to my initial point that Trump’s lies and such we’re just apologized and accepted and Obama was the scourge of the seven seas. 

It's confirmation bias.  People have a tendency to wall off, or make exceptions for, bad behavior from people espousing viewpoints they endorse; and to highlight those same examples of bad behavior as further examples of malfeasance from those they disagree with.

If your point is that doing so is wildly hypocritical, I agree with you.

Yep, it’s a right leaning echo chamber sports forum where (presumably) that’s to be expected. Maybe?

I'd say that the majority of the individuals here posting well thought out original content are classically liberal, or have libertarian leanings; with the second largest population being right leaning, though I admit I could be wrong about that. 

With that said, my general sense is that, from a legislative perspective, while the board is very right leaning economically it is left leaning/centrist on social issues.

I would posit that considering both this and my prior point that it's reasonable to expect right leaning bias from such a site.

You can find the *****. It’s either selective memory or you weren’t reading here about being Kenyan. The birth certificate ***** and the (ostensible) illegality of his presidency. The falsification of documents. The teleprompters and the vacations. 

Pretty constantly.

I tend to push through and read the content I find interesting from posters I find compelling.  I have a quite sizable percentage of our sub-community on ignore, and a larger amount whose opinions I gloss over.

The standards for my readership are largely:  "prove it to me" in terms of quality.

I have no desire to read dozens of pages of "secret Muslim" or "Russian collusion".  If I want to talk to stupid people with poor opinions I can attend more family reunions, or start spending my time in bars.

So, while there may well have been a myriad of posts about President Obama being ineligible for office, I didn't read them.  The only argument I engaged in along those lines was the Constitutional crisis being manufactured under which it was established that no one has the standing to challenge Presidential eligibility.  (I'm long on process, and largely disinterested in individual outcome.)

Meanwhile, Trump can fart in your lasagna and you’d call it filet (using “you” generally).

Bias mills reflect bias.

All you can do, if you choose to read the content of individuals demonstrating hypocrisy, and to engage them, is to tear down their arguments and put a mirror in front of them.

It's the only thing any of us can do if we want to change minds.

The point was about situational ethics. And the larger point was about figuring out a problem as countrymen. But the jackass contingent thought to cherry pick shiiiiit. I’m perfectly happy defending everything piece by whorish piece.

I aint running from no fights my dude.

Which is exactly what you should be doing.  Define what you believe in, and then call balls and strikes, as you see them, from both our elected officials, and from people espousing opinions about their actions and words.

Everything in regards to politics should be granular, and if a case is to be made for evacuating various criticisms, then it should be made on a logical basis. 

You may have missed the larger point. That surprises me because you are, in my opinion, one of the better posters on this board.

I appreciate the sentiment, and it is mutual.

Edited by TakeYouToTasker
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

Obama was effective deliver his campaign platforms over the first two years. Then he lost the house.

The last 3 weeks is how ineffective the Federal Government is going to be for the next two years. Nothing is going to be accomplished now that Trump lost the house, just like after Obama lost the house. The parties are too polarized and there's no common ground on anything they want to accomplish. 

Anything that Obama accomplished has been deaccomplished. Obama, after the first couple of years just used Executive Orders even when usurping the constitution. Of course if you mean releasing 150 billion to Iran and sending them pallets of cash as an accomplishment then I guess you have a point. Trump needs to have a win with China on the trade war and he'll be able to use the bully pulpit effectively to continue accomplishing things.

31 minutes ago, Juror#8 said:

Best of luck to you tomorrow, sir.

I know you're as prepared as humanly possible, so go out and kick some ass.

3 hours ago, Juror#8 said:

I said that after the same two years, Obama wasn’t received nearly as flexibly and openly. There weren’t the same apologists for every claim and contest and he (Obama) was blasted (in some cases) for small trivialities.

At the same relative points in time. 

I wasn't around here for the early Obama years, but there's a difference between Obama getting a Nobel Peace Prize after six or so months of his first term and the FBI opening up a B.S. treason investigation in Trump's firs five months.

Both were considered "outsiders" coming into office.  Out of the gate, one President got all the backing of his party and the media -- and even some of the opposition party, the other guy didn't even get his own party''s support.

The way each one has been treated engenders resentment, but in different ways and at different audiences.  I'm not a Trump apologist.  He makes his own problems, but he's been jumped on with two feet since day one.

• Like (+1) 1