The Trump Shutdown

2 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

Is that not what happened?

Maybe a good point...I am not sure.. I confess to not knowing the whole story..

but do you really think if trump  wanted to do a "fireside chat" type thing facebook would somehow intervene and edit?

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

23 minutes ago, BigMcD said:

Did yah? Cool. 

You can babble all you want and think that you are being witty, but you lost this game before it even started. I am an American citizen and you are a Canadian. Do I need to explain it to you any further?

1 minute ago, plenzmd1 said:

Maybe a good point...I am not sure.. I confess to not knowing the whole story..

but do you really think if trump  wanted to do a "fireside chat" type thing facebook would somehow intervene and edit?

Not edit. They would do what they could to make it as difficult as possible for people to find and watch though. Just like how Google messes with the algorithms to make it hard to find coverage (on any story, not just politics or Trump) that doesn't suit their agenda or advertisers agendas. 

1 minute ago, Deranged Rhino said:

Not edit. They would do what they could to make it as difficult as possible for people to find and watch though. Just like how Google messes with the algorithms to make it hard to find coverage (on any story, not just politics or Trump) that doesn't suit their agenda or advertisers agendas. 

facebook live is facebook live...can't see how they could hide it or make it hard to find!

Fellas, enjoyed the day..off to bed as I contemplate going to the Bill game on Sunday. Feel like I owe the drive to Kyle..decide in the AM!

Would love to meet you all at the tailgate..anyone going to the game on Sunday?

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

facebook live is facebook live...can't see how they could hide it or make it hard to find!

Fellas, enjoyed the day..off to bed as I contemplate going to the Bill game on Sunday. Feel like I owe the drive to Kyle..decide in the AM!

Would love to meet you all at the tailgate..anyone going to the game on Sunday?

:beer: Trying to get there... Will be a Sunday decision. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, 3rdnlng said:

You can babble all you want and think that you are being witty, but you lost this game before it even started. I am an American citizen and you are a Canadian. Do I need to explain it to you any further?

You are a one trick pony! You must be able to do better than that? Are you in some kind of hospital? Is your helmet too tight? Ring the bell! 

7 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

Trump posts on Twitter and the world sees it every time. But if he did a public campaign rally (fireside chat is not going to be his style, let us be real), “the man” would somehow hide it. Hide the president. Zuckerberg would plot with Google to make it impossible for anyone to get the link.

Sense is in short supply from the conspiracy gang, but on the upside, their fantasies are an endlessly giving fountain. 

The real issue is that Trump does explain his impulses. Some people are OK with them and already support them. Some are not. Talking to people about his impulses isn’t going to magically convert his detractors. 

21 hours ago, Deranged Rhino said:

As the old timers here know, when I first started posting down here I used to laugh at the notion of a biased media. And though I would argue what's happening today is different (because it's not a liberal media as much as it as an establishment media), having worked in entertainment and media for a good while now, it's real. 

Often its organic, meaning the left leaning people flock to journalism/entertainment/media as career paths tend to all come from the same backgrounds (liberal cities/colleges/universities) and live and work in largely liberal cities such as NYC/DC/LA. That tends to produce a natural inclination to write and cover stories a certain way. That happens, I've seen it first hand. It's not necessarily a problem by itself (and I don't know how to begin to change that if it were), but today we are seeing both right wing and left wing media outlets converge to cover this administration the same way. 

There's no counter balance but for independent media (which comes with its own warts) because it's not a republican or democrat in office. He's neither. He's a threat. Thus, he does not deserve (in the minds of the industry) the same "equal" treatment they would otherwise strive for. 

Jmo

You're spot on, and the folks who come here to suggest you're a conspiracy theorist are often the same ones who espouse the "You're getting all your news from Fox.". Typically, that opinion has been derived from listening to some other person or politician espousing the view that Fox offers a particular slant on on the news.

At a minimum, the media does not offer an holistic view of current events.  The recent mash up video of news anchors using the same word tracks for the same issues reveals a coordinated, corporate approach to the marketing of "news".  I watched an NBC news anchor recently speaking about market volatility take a pregnant pause (Toastmasters 101), and remark "if my memory is correct, the market moved in a similar fashion in 2008 just before....".  Certainly possible he's a market guy and closely followed the key economic data just prior to the last big financial crisis, equally likely the team behind the scenes was prepping him on what to say and how to say it.  The goal is to look conversational, but it's not. 

I find the old adages to be as true today as they were a hundred years ago. Nothing happens until someone buys something that someone else is selling.  The seller almost always has a plan, a bias, a point of view and it would be foolish to assume otherwise. And you're spot on as well that while the average journalism student may not have a preconceived plan to offer slanted or biased news (one way or the other), there are realities to life. You have to work, you have to eat, and if the company says you write about police brutality because it sells...you do what you have to do.  

There's a story making the rounds about a hs wrestler who had to cut his hair prior to stepping on the mat, the ref ruling that the length of his hair violated the rules. The outcry over this senseless act of racial bias (the ref white, the wrestler black) was intense, with photos of the ref broadcast on the piece, and the revelation that he used a racial slur directed at another ref a few years ago. The story was woefully lacking in context.  The reporter mentioned that the wrestler had previously wrestled without incident, and they showed a clip of him getting his hair lopped off matside. The thing is, there are rules about hair length, hair covering, skin checks, weigh ins etc. It is also a fact that different refs handle things differently, some are detail oriented, some are not.  Some are friendly, others not. I can think of a hundred variations of this story where a wrestler could be portrayed as the victim, but the one thing that really bothered me was how this young man ended up mattside getting his hair chopped just before he wrestled.  Virtually everything that happened usually happens well before the match so there are no surprises.  Turns out this young man was late for weighins/skin check/hair and length of fingernails but that was not included in the initial report. 

Here's my point--the story implies racial bias and civil rights violations, and it's possible the official targeted the kid.  However, context is extremely important as to how this all played out, because the implication was the guy walked up and chopped the kid's hair off for no apparent reason...with his coach standing by not uttering a word of protest.  Wrestling coaches tend to be fairly tough guys, why was he silent?  To boot, the official drooped a racial slur on another ref a few years back and was allowed to continue working around kids as an official? How big a story is that?  

It was either lousy reporting by a major network, devoid of context that is easy enough to gather by having a 5 minute conversation with a wrestling coach, or it was deliberately reported in such a way as to portray one victim and one really bad guy.  I feel like if you're willing to destroy a persons life, but trim the story for maximum effect, you're reporting what basically amounts to manipulated news. 

Edited by leh-nerd skin-erd
  • Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, BigMcD said:

All Canadians as well. Laughing at the losers. 

Oh no, the citizens of a second-rate country are laughing at us. The horror. The pain. The... wait. No one actually cares what Canada thinks.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 2

23 hours ago, BigMcD said:

Love to bitchslap you dicklickers all day, but the RV is fired up and I’m heading to the game! See yah in a few days! 

You seem to be obsessed with American men's genitals. You must be a member of the Canadian Ballet.

White House to Freeze Pay for Federal Workers in 2019
Roll Call, by Staff

Original Article

As the partial government shutdown grinds on, President Donald Trump signed an executive order Friday evening that would freeze pay for federal workers in 2019. Trump telegraphed the move in his February budget request for fiscal 2019 when he proposed a pay freeze for the roughly 2.1 million federal civilian workers. That plan was confirmed by a formal announcement in August required to head off steep pay raises that would automatically take effect under a 1990 law, which presidents of both parties routinely override.

:lol: God forbid, you would just actually change the law..........

If you think Trump cancelled his holiday plans for show, think again. Here’s what he’s been up to today.
by Vivek Saxena

Original Article

13 hours ago, Deranged Rhino said:

Now this one is funny! At this very moment, I am less than 2 blocks away from Obama's DC house...there ain't no 10-foot wall around it , I can promise you that!!!

Now, I will say this. Ivanka lives on the same street as me(Kalorama RD), as a matter of fact, I will be running by her house in about 20 minutes. Just those steel crowd control gates around the outside, 2 black secret service Suburbans, and 3 other beat up old cars with secret service ( i assume)in them scattered around the street.

Not 100 feet away from her house, is the entrance to Obama's street(Belmont). Jersey wall there, with a cop call and secret service at the entrance..only people getting down that street are residents and folks on a guest list! I have always laughed at that a bit..thinking Trump could not care less if Obama was kidnapped, but would start WW3 if someone took Ivanka.

The other thing that has always shocked me is no one mentioning that Obama's house is about a 2-minute walk to the largest Mosque in the DC area.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islamic_Center_of_Washington 

Democrats Make a Plan to End the Government Shutdown, Without Wall Funding (NYT)

Some highlights, beyond the ridiculously biased headline:

While the measures are expected to pass the House, there is no guarantee the shutdown will soon end given the Senate is still firmly controlled by Republicans.

[...]

“It’s simple,” said Don Stewart, a spokesman for Mr. McConnell. “The Senate is not going to send something to the president that he won’t sign.”

So their plan to end the shutdown is to...not end the shutdown?  Pelosi thinks the House can just pass bills and the Senate and President will do what they're told?  

Ms. Pelosi, meanwhile [...] said in a recent interview. “But he has to recognize, we are the first branch, Article 1, the legislative branch, and we’re here not as a rubber stamp to the executive branch but are coequal to him.”

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: 

...<breath>...

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: 

NOW she thinks this?  Where was this thinking nine years ago?

Representative Tim Ryan, Democrat of Ohio, said in an interview Monday. “We’ve got to really learn how to play jujitsu with the president and figure out how to take the wall issue and show the American people that we are the modern party who will actually secure the border [...]"

Same guy who voted for Bush's "enhanced border fence" doesn't support a "wall."  But then voted to cut funding to CBP, ICE, and USCIS six years later, and now wants people to believe he'll "actually secure the border."

What's funny is that I actually support everything he said.  I just don't support him, because while I agree with the principles he espouses, I don't believe for a second that he does.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, DC Tom said:

Democrats Make a Plan to End the Government Shutdown, Without Wall Funding (NYT)

Some highlights, beyond the ridiculously biased headline:

So their plan to end the shutdown is to...not end the shutdown?  Pelosi thinks the House can just pass bills and the Senate and President will do what they're told? 

I'd pass the same bill the Senate passed before the shutdown and dare them to not pass it in the Senate.

58 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

They won't pass it. 

No, they won't.

Ultimately, this goes back to the federal government operating without a coherent budget since...I'm not sure when.  They keep passing piecemeal continuing resolutions.  Probably since 2004, when they funded the Iraq occupation with off-budget supplemental bills.

• Like (+1) 1

Thousands of Americans are dying! Dying!! Because of Nancy Pelosi! The stupid wall would just save so many lives because those immigrants are killers, just murdering everyone they see. They are not peaceful, like us.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2018/12/31/alabama-congressman-pelosi-schumer-have-blood-their-hands-by-not-funding-border-wall/?utm_term=.1d8b8e48451a

In an interview with WAAY Tv, Brooks, a representative for Alabama’s 5th Congressional District, took Trump’s sentiment a step further. He specifically blamed presumptive House speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) and Senate Minority Leader Charles E. Schumer (D-N.Y.) for the deaths of “thousands” of Americans each year because of illegal immigrants. He did not offer facts or statistics to support his claim.

What's the problem, Gleeful Gator? Is it because you consider all those killer illegal aliens as comedians? I know they make you laugh, but do you laugh louder when MS-13 does the killing? How about the beheadings done with a machete? Do they produce belly laughs?

2 minutes ago, 3rdnlng said:

What's the problem, Gleeful Gator? Is it because you consider all those killer illegal aliens as comedians? I know they make you laugh, but do you laugh louder when MS-13 does the killing? How about the beheadings done with a machete? Do they produce belly laughs?

Thousands and thousands dying! The blood is everywhere! Why are Democrats not building the useless wall? 

Oh no! Right out my window, an illegal one just killed an old lady and took her purse!