The Menace of Populist Authoritarianism

I was encouraged to start a thread in PPP.  Here's nifty one.  Try to look past by the source and to the substance.  Thoughts from the Main PPP Partisan Shills.  I better not get a PPP STD... Ah, WTF, a little burning and green pee never hurt anyone... And it's fun;

https://www.vox.com/platform/amp/policy-and-politics/2018/12/10/18126132/trump-populism-democracy-threat-minority-rule

Dangerous demagoguery.  Ruling by a gerrymandering monority.

The most egregious examples are playing out right now in states ranging from North Carolina to Michigan to Wisconsin, where the GOP increasingly has an answer to the problem of what you do if you lose elections — ignore the outcome and just change the rules to avoid giving up power.

Mmmm...What other party has a habit of doing that?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I support gerrymandering because I despise universal suffrage. Most liberals don't deserve to vote, so denying them an impact makes perfect sense to me. 

Anybody ever notice how the bill of rights don't say nothin about voting? There's a reason for that. Allowing everybody to vote was never something the founders wanted because they knew better. 

I had heard that in these two states (at a minimum) Wisconsin, Michigan GOP state lawmakers look to limit powers of new Democratic governors.

Republican-led legislatures in Wisconsin and Michigan in lame duck sessions are aiming to limit the powers of incoming Democratic governors in their states, prompting sore loser allegations from opponents who say lawmakers are undermining voters. But the moves also raise broader questions about whether such efforts have become the new normal in a political environment in which state bodies are becoming more partisan--and more powerful.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/wisconsin-michigan-gop-state-lawmakers-look-to-limit-powers-of-new-democratic-governors/

And people say the Democrats are a pile of **** 

24 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

I was encouraged to start a thread in PPP.  Here's nifty one.  Try to look past by the source and to the substance.  Thoughts from the Main PPP Partisan Shills.  I better not get a PPP STD... Ah, WTF, a little burning and green pee never hurt anyone... And it's fun;

https://www.vox.com/platform/amp/policy-and-politics/2018/12/10/18126132/trump-populism-democracy-threat-minority-rule

I wish the writer could have complained about the electoral college sooner in the article.  That would have saved me some time reading down to that before stopping. 

13 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

I had heard that in these two states (at a minimum) Wisconsin, Michigan GOP state lawmakers look to limit powers of new Democratic governors.

Republican-led legislatures in Wisconsin and Michigan in lame duck sessions are aiming to limit the powers of incoming Democratic governors in their states, prompting sore loser allegations from opponents who say lawmakers are undermining voters. But the moves also raise broader questions about whether such efforts have become the new normal in a political environment in which state bodies are becoming more partisan--and more powerful.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/wisconsin-michigan-gop-state-lawmakers-look-to-limit-powers-of-new-democratic-governors/

vox. all the lols

Edit: also note that while "liberal" western europe decays and burns, Poland and Hungary are peaceful and prospering. And if that idiot thinks the President's policies aren't popular, he's gravely mistaken.

Edited by Joe in Winslow

Sorry EII this is not a very good topic and that you have the intellects of Shady trying to shift your argument to shift the narrative to that which was the aim of the Vox article is proof positive.

Low IQ folks can't help but to create the strawmen theory that folks like Shady are attempting to do from the strawman theory proposed by the author of the article.

Hence, it should not be reasonably argued. 

Edit. I read the article because I had to *****.  What a racist piece of ***** article.  The main jist: black people commit more crimes and can't vote once felons so we need to let black felons vote so they vote Democrat because they're more likely to vote Democrat. Holy ?, Batman. That's a great argument.

The rest was talking about restrictions to authoritarian governments (governors) which is hilarious because on a federal level it is the desire to do that to Trump and reinstore state rights which is something that was attempted a hundred years ago and resisted by the Democrats. That Trump has reversed the entire course of Democratic ideologies shows the baseless platform liberals stand on and the Bastian of hypocrisy that they have showing that liberalism is a form of retardation and should be treated as such.  It's quite disgusting that #orangemanbad is the alchemist of change in to a party which once set the social tones of revolution.

Edited by Boyst62

45 minutes ago, The_Dude said:

I support gerrymandering because I despise universal suffrage. Most liberals don't deserve to vote, so denying them an impact makes perfect sense to me. 

Anybody ever notice how the bill of rights don't say nothin about voting? There's a reason for that. Allowing everybody to vote was never something the founders wanted because they knew better. 

Liberals are generally more educated, tolerant and in possession of human capital than Conservatives. Why wouldn't you want the betters to vote? 

1 hour ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

The courts have so far done a fine job at protecting the rule of law in this country. Not just during this illiberal period of "populism" but through our relatively recent history--I'm thinking in over turing Jim Crow. I'd like to think both left and right judges will continue this. 

I'd like to think that the last election helped us over the hump of them having all the power. I mean if they were going to cement their rule, there was the chance, right? Most of the people in the country are good people. Trump and the Tea Party Republicans have since 2010 relied on the apathy of the electorate but once they saw how bad Trump was--and his GOP enablers--the good people showed up at the polls and said enough. Dems had a 10% advantage in the past election, yet many of those voters had voted Republican in the past. So I'd like to think that there are enough good people in the country to stop a situation from installing a wicked minority to dominate. 

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

Does anyone remember Ballot Box 13?

As far as gerrymandering goes and what's happening now, this is a great read on how it is presently working.  And, it's all legal.  (The actual book, not the revue).

https://www.kirkusreviews.com/book-reviews/david-daley/ratfked/

NC is a foothold for this argument because it's been a solid blue state for so long that now it's been lost and the attempts to regain balance by redistricting have caused an uproar at the reality we are now red. Save for Mecklenburg, Wake, a few other ***** counties and the tiny blip that is the city of Asheville.

7 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

Liberals are generally more educated, tolerant and in possession of human capital than Conservatives. Why wouldn't you want the betters to vote? 

That's hilarious. "betters" I mean that is seriously ROTFLMAO.

What you're referring to is what I call the "Marthas Vineyard" liberal. Idiots who couldn't fight their way out of a wet paper bag, and couldnt change their own flat. Helpless idiots. 

Just now, The_Dude said:

What you're referring to is what I call the "Marthas Vineyard" liberal. Idiots who couldn't fight their way out of a wet paper bag, and couldnt change their own flat. Helpless idiots. 

Yet they live in wealthy Martha's Vineyards! They can hire someone to change a flat. 

8 minutes ago, The_Dude said:

Something like the Marine in the commercial who claims that the leak in his water heater "rocked his world". I guess it changed his world forever.

The resistance to Trump — the largest and most powerful social movement in generations — needs to enter a more radical stage that goes beyond electoral advocacy to include civil disobedience and direct action.

The "largest and most powerful social movement in generations" - ignoring the rebellion of flyover country that elected Trump to start with - needs to become more terroristic.  ***** brilliant.  "Direct action?"  Really?  Literally, a call to revolution.  

Sorry, I'm not taking that story at all seriously.  

31 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

Liberals are generally more educated, tolerant and in possession of human capital than Conservatives.

More educated, tolerant...and own slaves?

***** you, ***** ball.

7 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

More educated, tolerant...and own slaves?

***** you, ***** ball.

Slavery was a universally accepted practice until modernity. I fault no race, religion, or whatever for slavery. It was/is a universal practice. 

...which is why I love the American black attitude that slavery was some great injustice suffered only to blacks. 

Edited by The_Dude

1 hour ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

They are.  Democrats are a pile of ***** puked up by a dog that ate the ***** to begin with because it believed in ***** slike AOC, Clinton, Sanders, and the idiots as such.  Bottom line: Democrats should be hunted down in the streets and made to be held accountable for their decisions.

41 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Soldiers were getting electrocuted in Middle East on base by faulty water heaters installation.  Look it up.

PTSD?

In the commercial I'm referring to there is a pinhole leak in the flexible water feed line. Turning the main off or a valve on that line would have stopped the leak until the line was replaced. But no, it "rocked his world".

3 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Don't fool yourself, the two main political parties are separate, different-smelling, piles of *****.  They both pull crap like Wisconsin to keep themselves relevant and self preserved.

2 hours ago, keepthefaith said:

I wish the writer could have complained about the electoral college sooner in the article.  That would have saved me some time reading down to that before stopping. 

Yep, in the first Paragraph, I noticed that the article was just a slick way of arguing for a direct democracy.

2 hours ago, Tiberius said:

Yeah, tolerant until it comes to political viewpoints.

Edited by snafu

2 hours ago, 3rdnlng said:

Something like the Marine in the commercial who claims that the leak in his water heater "rocked his world". I guess it changed his world forever.

I’m unfamiliar with that commercial. But as a guy who owns a company that replaces water heaters I think it’s hilarious people still pay for that. I figured shark bite fittings would make the service obsolete but nope. Still selling them everyday. 

2 minutes ago, The_Dude said:

I’m unfamiliar with that commercial. But as a guy who owns a company that replaces water heaters I think it’s hilarious people still pay for that. I figured shark bite fittings would make the service obsolete but nope. Still selling them everyday. 

rough estimate how much labor does it cost to install/replace a water heater?

3 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Awww the non-bots are awfully nice in PPP. No one has bitten off my head yet!  You'll be fine. ?

8 minutes ago, /dev/null said:

It depends on gas or electric. Also, like most folks I’m a flat rate guy so my price includes COGS. For residential I do 40/50 gallons, mid-highs (size/height) for about $900. Those of course are the 6-year warranty ones. But don’t buy anything over 6 years because it’s a waste of money. 

However, if somebody provided the water heater I’d have it done for say $300. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, /dev/null said:

don't talk about water heaters.  mine's not working 4b6a186b549c2364da6148faa3e1d917.jpg&f=1

Freeze you... ? j/k...

15 minutes ago, /dev/null said:

Could be up to a $500?  Want it done right, Union job?  LoL... Then, what's code now... Does need to be 18" off floor?  Is it in basement... May need catch pan and pedestal if especially gas... I think that's National plumbing code?

Mine is going on 23 years.  Ready got the pedestal and pan... It's gas and in basement.  Probably do it myself.

I'd say... $1000-$1200 installed INCLUDING new heater.  Nice heater.

Just now, ExiledInIllinois said:

You're a Gal.  I am a creepy old guy.  They will put their brain eating conservative amoeba in my neti pot!!! 

Brushing aside the neti-pot questions ... not everyone down here is a conservative. I am not. I'm a political mutt, and so are many others. There are also some sane Ds and liberals, and a stray libertarian or two.  

And then there are approximately half-dozen bot-like accounts that are just easy to put on ignore. 

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

Brushing aside the neti-pot questions ... not everyone down here is a conservative. I am not. I'm a political mutt, and so are many others. There are also some sane Ds and liberals, and a stray libertarian or two.  

And then there are approximately half-dozen bot-like accounts that are just easy to put on ignore. 

I don't put anyone on ignore.

I just ignore their posts when necessary.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, The_Dude said:

It depends on gas or electric. Also, like most folks I’m a flat rate guy so my price includes COGS. For residential I do 40/50 gallons, mid-highs (size/height) for about $900. Those of course are the 6-year warranty ones. But don’t buy anything over 6 years because it’s a waste of money. 

However, if somebody provided the water heater I’d have it done for say $300. 

10 years ago I'd have went to Home Depot and paid $150 for a gas one, got a buddy to help me carry it down the basement stairs and hook it up in less than 30 minutes. Now I guess the gas ones have gone up in price considerably. Had a relatively new one quit in a rental unit a few years ago. I figured it was the thermocouple so I got a new one and proceeded to remove the old one. The new one wouldn't screw in. I finally figured out that the f'n block was a left handed thread and I had screwed up its threads (cheap metal) in removing the old thermocouple. The company where the water heater came from actually had a designated plumber in the area to install conversion kits just for this problem. Not fun, but expensive.

7 minutes ago, 3rdnlng said:

10 years ago I'd have went to Home Depot and paid $150 for a gas one, got a buddy to help me carry it down the basement stairs and hook it up in less than 30 minutes. Now I guess the gas ones have gone up in price considerably. Had a relatively new one quit in a rental unit a few years ago. I figured it was the thermocouple so I got a new one and proceeded to remove the old one. The new one wouldn't screw in. I finally figured out that the f'n block was a left handed thread and I had screwed up its threads (cheap metal) in removing the old thermocouple. The company where the water heater came from actually had a designated plumber in the area to install conversion kits just for this problem. Not fun, but expensive.

$150 for a water heater? Holy crap that’s cheap. 

1 hour ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

Can't do it... I am too old to be aggravated by bots or paid agitators

Yeah... I have been here since 2002.  Fun times before the war.  Then board went "poof"... Too funny.   Would be nice to web crawl that board! 

I don't put anybody on ignore.  Too much hassle.  I like reading everything...