OK. I'll Say It-Allen will be best Bills QB ever

beacon

Threads like this do irritate me just as much as the "Allen is a bust!" threads. This constant need to rush to declare someone the best or the worst. Can everyone chill? Josh Allen has had a reasonable if injury interrupted rookie season. At this point of it he still has more INTs than passing TDs and we have people declaring he will be better than Jim Kelly?

There are reasons to be optimistic, reasons to be positive, but my word let's keep things in perspective a little.

• Like (+1) 5

16 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Threads like this do irritate me just as much as the "Allen is a bust!" threads. This constant need to rush to declare someone the best or the worst. Can everyone chill? Josh Allen has had a reasonable if injury interrupted rookie season. At this point of it he still has more INTs than passing TDs and we have people declaring he will be better than Jim Kelly?

There are reasons to be optimistic, reasons to be positive, but my word let's keep things in perspective a little.

Personally, I think the TD/Int ratio is a horrible stat.  A better stat is total TD drives attained.  If a QB drives the team all the way into the redzone & the team scores by the QB throwing an easy TD, how is that any more significant than a TD drive that ends in a rush instead of a throw?  Also INTs have a context too.  Obviously throwing a pick 6 deep in his own territory is a lot more egregious than throwing an INT on a Hail Mary that ends the half .  I suggest total TD drives/significant INTS that lead to points by the opponent as a much more meaningful measure than simple TD/INT ratios.    

Edited by Albany,n.y.
  • Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, Albany,n.y. said:

Personally, I think the TD/Int ratio is a horrible stat.  A better stat is total TD drives attained.  If a QB drives the team all the way into the redzone & the team scores by the QB throwing an easy TD, how is that any more significant than a TD drive that ends in a rush instead of a throw?  Also INTs have a context too.  Obviously throwing a pick 6 deep in his own territory is a lot more egregious than throwing an INT on a Hail Mary that ends the half .  I suggest total TD drives/significant INTS that lead to points by the opponent as a much more meaningful measure than simple TD/INT ratios.    

I wasn't suggesting it was the only relevant stat and it is granted a small sample size. It is just an example of why hailing him as the man who will be the Bills best ever QB at this stage is absolutely moronic. Josh is doing fine, I might even say he has done a little better than I expected, but threads like this have no real purpose.

31 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I wasn't suggesting it was the only relevant stat and it is granted a small sample size. It is just an example of why hailing him as the man who will be the Bills best ever QB at this stage is absolutely moronic. Josh is doing fine, I might even say he has done a little better than I expected, but threads like this have no real purpose.

Hyperbole is no doubt involved. Folks are enthused because many were lead to believe Allen was the wrong Josh, had intractable issues that made him a poor choice, not just a risky pick, and so raw he would need multiple years of development before he could even plausibly see the field. The potential one sees is not simply based on athletic talent. Allen's judgment has improved and his poise and leadership has raised the limited ability on offense. It's evident the team believes in him and they know an exceptional player when they see one. So, yes, the OP is more emotive than anything, but it's understandable and fine, imo, given the decades long drought of hopeless qb play and the fact that much of this is reactive to the opposite opinion that initially held sway here and elsewhere.

Edited by Dr. Who
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Albany,n.y. said:

1 more win and the team surpasses Kelly's 1986 4-12 record, and Kelly came here with 2 years of USFL experience.  

Some of us want to enjoy thoughts of future seasons of 12 or more victories led by Allen while others are always looking to find negatives in everything.  The main objective for a team is to be a champion or at least be a championship contender.  If all you want to do is think the team will never attain that status, I advise you find another team pretty soon that looks like they're about to stink for the next decade because you won't be happy when the Bills start compiling double digit wins year after year.  Your best choice may be the Cincinnati Bengals who have an out of touch owner and if they do hire Hue Jackson are almost guaranteed seasons of futility until he is fired again. 

Why would you say that when if you're watching games it's pretty obvious that one of Allen's strengths already is above average ball security?   He's thrown 1 meaningful INT in his 2 games back. 

It was a joke....in keeping with the silliness of this thread.

1 hour ago, Antonio said:

If he leads us to a SB victory, just one and then he retires he will be the best ever in my book. It can also be by his 2nd season, I dont care. 

I settle for an honest 10 win season first.

even if that doesn't cut it for the WC

22 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

So, yes, the OP is more emotive than anything, but it's understandable and fine, imo, given the decades long drought of hopeless qb play and the fact that much of this is reactive to the opposite opinion that initially held sway here and elsewhere.

Hyperbole irritates me whichever direction it is in - positive or negative!

22 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

i tend to try to find ballast in most social situations

often contradicting myself in the same minute

but they never notice  :D

25 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

It's not hyperbole.  If it was, it would have been an intentional exaggeration to make a point.

This guy actually thinks Allen is going to be the best Bills QB of all time.

"Exaggeration" is a better choice of word.

22 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

It's not hyperbole.  If it was, it would have been an intentional exaggeration to make a point.

This guy actually thinks Allen is going to be the best Bills QB of all time.

"Exaggeration" is a better choice of word.

hey, let that fan rock on....

maybe you can get him to bet on his prediction with you....

20 hours ago, beacon said:

I know it's blasphemy, but Josh Allen will have every Bills QB record by the time he retires. Yards, TD's, Rushing, Wins.They have their QB for the next 10/15 years. He is the most exciting Bill since SB days. Nobody knew what a great runner he is. Reminds me of Elway, only faster and shiftier. He is going to be a stud.  His game of pass/run is going to be sweet to watch.   Fill a few holes on O-line next year, grab a receiver or two, cut Benjamin, Clay and Shady.  Doesn't matter what city it is, good players want to play with good/great QB's. He will make everyone around him better. Then they all can make even more  $$$$$$.  Can't wait until next year. 

I was shocked that Elway didn't draft him.  Every time I saw a Wyoming highlight, I was reminded of Elway.  Thought for sure he was taking him.

14 minutes ago, Paulus said:

I said he was GOAT already (before he ever played an NFL snap)...

I win! Unless, I lose. 

you have the "he didn't have enough talent around him" excuse for 100 years

Just now, PlayoffsPlease said:

Newton does not have Allen's release velocity.  Not even close. Try to improve the snark next time. 

Weo caused me to put him on ignore on three different forums on here in 13 months

• Haha (+1) 1