Thoughts on Allen Pre Injury vs Post

corta765

I like the addition of addition of speed WR's (McKenzie and Foster) to the lineup to stretch the field vertically.  This is the perfect complement to Allen's arm strength, forcing the defenders to stay with the receivers, opening up the underneath routes and running room.

• Thank you (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I think by camp next year where he gets 100% of the first team reps and more talented added...we could see another big step from him.

Completely agree. Cant wait to see him with a proper NFL offseason to get bigger, strong , faster and healthier. Also with an improved O-Line and some legit weapons at WR. 

When the season started I was not a fan of starting Josh Allen because plain and simple this team was not ready for him....they had so many of their own issues that adding a rookie learning curve was not going to help.......

I think When Josh came back from injury the team AROUND Josh got a little better (not a lot better)

McDermott mentioned that Allen's injury allowed him the time to spend more time with Allen where they discussed why defenses scheme certain ways vs. certain personnel groups in certain game situations. And it seems like Allen has a better handle on that aspect of the game since his return. Especially vs. Jax. That defense is damned good and presents challenges to the best of them and Allen did a fine job. Now having two weeks to prepare was an advantage, but still, it wasn't too big for him as he looked in command the entire afternoon. 

I agree with above posters who think that the injury was a good thing.

I think it presents an interesting balance between the “learn on the pine” group and the “learn in the game” group of thinkers. I think we got lucky to have a bit of both. 

Allen is, and always will be an improvisational player (Think Cam, or Carson). With that being said, I imagine it would be hard for him to learn without truly seeing and feeling the game speed of the NFL. So when he had that brief chance, and then he had time to digest it and see fundamentally what he needs to do better, I think it’s going to be invaluable. 

He essentially got rookie season 1a, and rookie season 1b.

1a was a mess because the game was too fast and he wasn’t prepared. His mistakes were often and ugly. 

1b (seems to be so far) more about controlling himself and the game and learning as he goes. Mistakes happen (even some ugly ones) but they’re not nearly as bad. 

I also don’t know if we can count out how valuable having a couple of vets in Allen’s ear has been. 

• Like (+1) 2

55 minutes ago, NewDayBills said:

One thing that has benefitted Allen is Barkley and Anderson. They've been incredible. I hope both of them come back. 

That would be great. Barkley is a decent back-up.

Could we convince Anderson to come back as a member of the coaching staff? QB Coach Assistant? Or maybe QB Coach?

He definitely looks improved. I agree with the comment about the game slowing down. He's more focused on the rush pre-snap and less focused on it post snap. His eyes are downfield longer which means he's more of a threat when he does take off and run. Defenders aren't yet sitting on his runs. 

I still think he has a long ways to go controlling his high rate of bad throws. Everyone here talks about accuracy. He can be accurate at times, but the percentage of total throws that are bad to very bad is still high. He needs to get that under control if he's ever going to be a consistently good QB. 

19 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

That would be great. Barkley is a decent back-up.

Could we convince Anderson to come back as a member of the coaching staff? QB Coach Assistant? Or maybe QB Coach?

Anderson you hope would never take a shot he's old, but as a 3rd stringer he should be safe from action. Barkley is 28 though, he can take a hit. If Allen goes down Barkley can hold the fort down no problem. Allen was extremely raw coming out, makes sense to have all that experience behind him. Wouldn't change a thing. I'd extend Barkley right now if I was them.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

It gave him time to learn the game w/o getting thrown into the fire. 

He's getting better.   That last play where he was scrambling like a chicken with his head cut off was often a sack in his first 3 or 4 games. 

Get in the RZ and a bit of "panic" set in and he ran around looking for the perfect play.  

Also that was the only play he scrambled that much. Any other play and he would of gotten rid of it but with the game over without a first he kept the play alive until he could find a shot.

1 hour ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

His numbers have been better, certainly. We also came to the realization that speed is helpful at the WR position while he was out.

Yea its kinda funny that it took until mid season for the team to add Anderson/Barkley, Foster, McKenzie, and start Teller at G. But all of those things really seemed to help the offense settle down.

I am very nervous with Bodine out though about the line. They had stabilized to not being atrocious and I thought Bodine actually had been pretty decent. Groy has not done well this year and Siriles was rated atrocious by PFF in place of Miller. Need to hope the last bunch of games the line can hold itself to not implode.

Allen is becoming the most entertaining QB in the NFL. As he continues to develop into a franchise QB and the team puts better players around him, his entertainment appeal will make the Bills a marquee team. 

• Like (+1) 1

A few examples of why I don't think the game is too fast for him are when he runs. The first was against the browns in the preseason when he side stepped a pass rusher near the goal line and then threw a TD. Against the jags he setup Bodine's block near the goal line to score. On Sunday he had the scramble where he had to hold the ball behind him and then raised it up over the defender to protect the ball. These are all split second decisions he's making on the fly. 

I can never imagine Allen clumsily running into his own lineman ala Sanchez, I think he sees the field too well for that.

I think it's just a matter of time before he's able to quickly recognize coverages and make quicker decisions in the pocket. I could easily be wrong, but the game just doesn't seem too big or too fast for him. 

1 hour ago, gjv001 said:

Allen is becoming the most entertaining QB in the NFL. As he continues to develop into a franchise QB and the team puts better players around him, his entertainment appeal will make the Bills a marquee team. 

When I first read this, I thought "this guy's nuts!". But then I sat and thought about it, and the only guy I can name that provides more pure entertainment value at QB right now is Patrick Mahomes. So...wow. That's a heck of a thing!