Sal Maiorana on the Bills' Youth Movement and What it Means for "The Process"

26CornerBlitz

ORCHARD PARK — If you’ve had the sense in the last few weeks that things seem to be trending in a positive direction for the Buffalo Bills, Sean McDermott — while not the least bit satisfied, mind you — would certainly agree.

Sure, everyone is happier when you win, and spirits have been soaring at One Bills Drive thanks to the victories over the Jets and Jaguars. But it goes beyond those two positive final scores.

There’s a renewed energy within the team, and an undeniable confidence that is building, and it’s a direct reflection on the contributions the Bills are getting from their youngest, and in some cases, best players.

“You look around the league, there’s not too many Kyle Williams’ or Lorenzo Alexander’s in the locker room anymore,” said cornerback Tre’Davious White, the inference being that it’s unusual when a pair of 35-year-old players could still be playing as well as they are for Buffalo. “Teams are younger and we’re doing a great job with the quality of guys we’re getting. It goes to show the front office knows what they’re doing in how they’re scouting players and developing players.”
  • Like (+1) 4

5 hours ago, matter2003 said:

Its not always pretty but it looks like they may be turning a corner...and screwing up their draft positiining in the meantime...

Hopefully they are not looking for a QB.

That being said (and possibly done) I could care less whether they are picking 4th or 14th.

I am a fan and I just plain want to see this team win.

2-9 wouldn't make me feel better now, and honestly, it wouldn't make me feel better in the off season.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

We have 11 rookies on the active roster, pretty amazing and 4 rookies starting (Allen, Teller, Edmunds, Wallace) one an  undrafted free agents.  Then we have rookies with serious contributions including Foster and Philips.

Allen and Edmunds are both incredibly raw but physically unique talents, both appear to be hard working and dedicated, both could be key pieces for this team for years to come.

On top of that we have a lot of draft picks, yes I am excited about the youth movement.  We also have  a cleaned up cap situation, appear to be stable from a coaching front office perspective.  I am trusting in the process, (McD still needs to fine tuning on in game decisions).  

Edited by RoyBatty is alive
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Anyone who has been through a business turnaround knows how painful they are. This year is a perfect example, particularly with all of the youth on the field. 

This leadership team has shown a willingness to do what must be done to correct for the future good and I, for one, am all for it. 

While I completely understand the desire to ‘win now’, I also appreciate, even more, the need to do it ‘right’ so the dividends can last...and the youth movement can continue.  

Thus far, I trust the process. 

Just now, BuffaloBill said:

Statistically players chosen between 8 and 18 tend to be very solid.  Higher picks are often boom or bust.   

They'll likely be in that range when the dust settles on the season. In the interim, they certainly aren't focused on where they'll pick in the 2019 draft.  Far too many examples of higher picks washing out while players selecting lower going on to have better careers.

59 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

Its not always pretty but it looks like they may be turning a corner...and screwing up their draft positiining in the meantime...

Draft positioning is for losers. Winning teams don't care about that unless they really need a QB. They just get players who can play regardless of where they get drafted. Time for this team to get back to winning again. And these guys are getting it right so far.

Edited by BmarvB
  • Like (+1) 6

35 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

We have 11 rookies on the active roster, pretty amazing and 4 rookies starting (Allen, Teller, Edmunds, Wallace) one an  undrafted free agents.  Then we have rookies with serious contributions including Foster and Philips.

Allen and Edmunds are both incredibly raw but physically unique talents, both appear to be hard working and dedicated, both could be key pieces for this team for years to come.

On top of that we have a lot of draft picks, yes I am excited about the youth movement.  We also have  a cleaned up cap situation, appear to be stable from a coaching front office perspective.  I am trusting in the process, (McD still needs to fine tuning on in game decisions).  

Add to that the 4 starters out of six picks last year.

Great Corner. 

Decent/developing WR.

Good LT

Great/rising star LB.

• Like (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, BmarvB said:

Draft positioning is for losers. Winning teams don't care about that unless they really need a QB. They just get players who can play regardless of where they get drafted. Time for this team to get back to winning again. And these guys are getting it right so far.

Not when a team loves trading up as much as this one does...

Higher draft positioning = ability to trade down and get more picks with higher value.  Or in our case, possibly trading down and still getting the player we want and more high picks instead of trading up and spending picks to get the same player.

Edited by matter2003
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1

17 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

Not when a team loves trading up as much as this one does...

Higher draft positioning = ability to trade down and get more picks with higher value.  Or in our case, possibly trading down and still getting the player we want and more high picks instead of trading up and spending picks to get the same player.

Why get your panties in a bunch over something you have no control over?

You don't get to draft for the Bills or have any input.

Winning is everything for a young team and our rookie QB,

This draft is deep with solid players....trust the process.

2 hours ago, whatdrought said:

Add to that the 4 starters out of six picks last year.

Great Corner. 

Decent/developing WR.

Good LT

Great/rising star LB.

It's amazing how elevating from Tyrod "throw at your feet" Taylor to Allen has helped Zay stop looking like a bust everyone was screaming about here just a few months ago.

12 minutes ago, BobChalmers said:

It's amazing how elevating from Tyrod "throw at your feet" Taylor to Allen has helped Zay stop looking like a bust everyone was screaming about here just a few months ago.

While I don't question your assessment of Taylor, Jones did drop a lot of catchable balls last year.

If you're not drafting a QB in the first round, the "wins screw up getting a high pick" really doesn't make sense. The worse your record is indicates that you have poor players and more holes to fill. If the Bills can go 3-2 the rest of the way and finish 7-9, it will most likely indicate that there are more players on the team that are keepers and part of the future. I think players that fall into that category would be:

OFFENSE: Wyatt Teller, Robert Foster (a #3 or #4 WR), Isiah McKenzie (return man, situational offense for jet sweeps, #4  or #5 WR), Jason Croom (#2 TE), Marcus Murphy (#2 or #3 RB) maybe Sirles emerges as a depth OL guy

DEFENSE: Taron Johnson (looking good as nickel CB), Levi Wallace (#2 or #3 CB), Jordan Phillips (rotational DT), guys like Edmunds , Harrison Phillips and Milano seem solid in their roles. 

While having solid depth guys isn't exciting, it makes it way easier to draft and go to free agent market. Then they can focus on adding a #1 WR, at least 2 to OLine (maybe they get by 1 more year with Bodine at C and fill the other spots), TE and on D look to add pash rusher (eventual replacement for Hughes). 

Wins mean the team is better it's not a bad thing for building for future. Of course for any of this to work Allen needs to be the right one for QB or it's back to the drawing board. 

4 hours ago, TroutDog said:

Anyone who has been through a business turnaround knows how painful they are. This year is a perfect example, particularly with all of the youth on the field. 

This leadership team has shown a willingness to do what must be done to correct for the future good and I, for one, am all for it. 

While I completely understand the desire to ‘win now’, I also appreciate, even more, the need to do it ‘right’ so the dividends can last...and the youth movement can continue.  

Thus far, I trust the process. 

...good assessment.....don't think the desire to "win now" ever goes away, so you put forth an effort to remain competitive and 2017 is a prime example of results.....2018 is probably "win now within reason" while the rebuild continues.......I do like how some of the youngsters are getting shots now........you never know if a kid thought to be strictly depth in practice and pre-season with rubber bullets, demonstrates that he's not far off from being a starter with "live ammo"......Taron, Teller, Foster, Wallace, Lewis kid off NE PS, etc may change the draft & FA strategy for 2019.....with 10 picks and FA $$$, it certainly shapes up as a significantly defining year, probably the best in the last decade+...........

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy
  • Like (+1) 1