Adrian Peterson--How is this POS still in the NFL today?

Mr. WEO

My parents spanked me, and explained why it hurt them to do so and that they did it to love me and teach me consequences.

when I was 5, I refused to be obedient (against many warnings) and I got belted by my mom (with dads belt, ironically) and it’s one of the most fundamental basis of understanding of consequences and choice making that I have ever learned. 

Multiple times when I was a mouthy young man (pre-teens) I would take advantage of my dads hearing loss and utter disrespectful things under my breath- I remember a couple times that I said it a bit to loudly and he slapped me across the face -not to wound me, as my dad is a giant who could have knocked me out, but to warn me and teach me. When I think of respect, I think of this.

Corporal punishment was definitely appropriate in my case, but I’m sure it’s a matter of circumstances. Intent is always key.

Its stupid to imply that anyone who disciplines their children is an abuser- it’s a lie and it marginalizes true abuse.

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

My parents spanked me, and explained why it hurt them to do so and that they did it to love me and teach me consequences.

when I was 5, I refused to be obedient (against many warnings) and I got belted by my mom (with dads belt, ironically) and it’s one of the most fundamental basis of understanding of consequences and choice making that I have ever learned. 

Multiple times when I was a mouthy young man (pre-teens) I would take advantage of my dads hearing loss and utter disrespectful things under my breath- I remember a couple times that I said it a bit to loudly and he slapped me across the face -not to wound me, as my dad is a giant who could have knocked me out, but to warn me and teach me. When I think of respect, I think of this.

Corporal punishment was definitely appropriate in my case, but I’m sure it’s a matter of circumstances. Intent is always key.

Its stupid to imply that anyone who disciplines their children is an abuser- it’s a lie and it marginalizes true abuse.

Maybe you wouldn't have needed it more than once if he had only tied you to a tree and whipped your naked body with a stick...you know, right from the start. Think of the man you COULD have been?

Edited by OJ Tom

18 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

But you've given away your party affiliation.  Tell me, how often do you think your party leader was belted as a child? 

But your suggestion that belting your kids will possibly keep them out of "prison" is some real fantasy stuff.

To keep them alive, out of jail and free of mental illness, by all accounts.

And it must have superior prophylactic results to a slap on the butt.

Oh man!

I actually dont have a party.  Thats why I like Trump the repubs dont like him and the dems dont like him and liberals are to stupid to realise that none of the polotitions liking him shows you he is for the people not the government.  If you read all my post you would see that I prefer reinforcement and Im actually educated on the subject.  You suffer from so many cognitive distortions it isnt even funny.  Youre not trying to understand what my view point is or why I may believe what I believe.  Youre to busy trying to argue with a person that is educated on the subject.  You dont care what the truth is you just want to be the one thats right.  Find the truth and then youll be right.

9 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

But that's not what we are talking about with AP.  

This isn't about the occasional swat.

I didnt read anywhere where he said he constantly beats the hell out of his kid.

What he did in the past is the past.  Let go Mr. Perfect.

Edited by formerlyofCtown

3 minutes ago, formerlyofCtown said:

I actually dont have a party.  Thats why I like Trump the repubs dont like him and the dems dont like him and liberals are to stupid to realise that none of the polotitions liking him shows you he is for the people not the government.  If you read all my post you would see that I prefer reinforcement and Im actually educated on the subject.  You suffer from so many cognitive distortions it isnt even funny.  Youre not trying to understand what my view point is or why I may believe what I believe.  Youre to busy trying to argue with a person that is educated on the subject.  You dont care what the truth is you just want to be the one thats right.  Find the truth and then youll be right.

I'll just let this bit of awesomeness just sit there.....!

2 minutes ago, Augie said:

There is right, and there is wrong. 

There are also countless interpretations in between of what to do in any one situation.  I won’t play the judge, but I wish everyone the best.  

There’s definitely some gray area out there and I agree about not racing to judge

but I think some judgment of the last incident is fair

1 minute ago, NoSaint said:

There’s definitely some gray area out there and I agree about not racing to judge

but I think some judgment of the last incident is fair

I couldn’t even give you the first fact of the “last incident” so I pass. I’m just talking in generalities. 

I typically try to avoid the most horrible stories. 

8 minutes ago, Augie said:

I couldn’t even give you the first fact of the “last incident” so I pass. I’m just talking in generalities. 

I typically try to avoid the most horrible stories. 

I’d avoid the quotes and photos on page 2 in that case. I suspect that your argument would land better outside the context of peterson history - as I don’t think it’s unreasonable to have different takes.... but this thread colors it a bit differently if folks don’t know you well  

Edited by NoSaint
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Augie said:

I saw my father do it on my sister, and my wife reports it was part of her father’s repertoire. All  turned out great. Spoiling kids is a worse offense as a parent IMO.  

False dichotomy. Lack of beating is not the same as spoiling. It's possible, and more effective, to discipline a child without hitting them.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, buffalo2218 said:

Ok here’s the problem I have, and it’s not Adrian Peterson I have the problem with. The problem I have is the people complaining about spanking a child. Ok, I got spanked with a belt, switch, toy race car track, just about whatever. Now the extent of what Peterson’s tactics were the first time was way too much. But as far as using a belt? I have zero issues with it. 

Because it seems to me that not using a belt today is part of the problem: Growing up, I never saw or even heard of kids killing other kids and teachers in school, how many times has that happened recently? There’s what’s called right to parent in the law itself. I don’t in any way advocate child abuse, using a belt is not the same. 

But back to Peterson, I don’t have any issues with him using a belt for corporal punishment, but the line is drawn there.

This x10

3 hours ago, NoSaint said:

Considering how far out of bounds he was in the last case- I am a little surprised that so many people are down to assume the the dude is acting reasonably and with restraint when hitting his kid that he previously abused

i would get a “let’s wait and see” from some but not full throated support 

^^^^^This. FYI, I’m not a wallflower bleeding heart type of new school parent. I’m not against corporal punishment as a means to an end. But my concern is that AP has already demonstrated clearly that he is not familiar with necessary discipline boundaries or apparently the ability to control his anger issues in the heat of the moment when it comes to his kid—so how can we sit there and feel comfortable that magically he doesn’t go overboard with a belt either? Which let’s face it guys, is a tool that is easy to do some serious damage with even if it’s not intentional, to say nothing of when it is. Sorry, but I don’t trust him.

Edited by NoHuddleKelly12

2 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

The evidence that he still beats his kid...is his own admission that he still does.  It's a clear violation of his reinstatement.

See above.

I have been able to coerce them into better behavior by denying them the things that they enjoy from time to time (when they were young).    Now, as teens, i try to treat them as young adults when I can.  Take away things when I need to.

Let me ask the corporal punishers above----at what age were our children when you began to hit them with the belt or the stick?

I don't care that he violated his reinstatement.  I don't work for the NFL.

I do love you continue to use the word "beat" even though AP said "spank."  And you said your dad "smacked" you a couple times.  

It sounds like you're changing the language on purpose, almost to minimize one set of behaviors versus another. Curious.

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

But that's not what we are talking about with AP.  

This isn't about the occasional swat.

Prove that what AP said in the story you posted in the OP isn't about the occasional swat.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Are you serious??

He beat his own 4 year old son's ***** bloody with a stick.. now he's beating him with a belt.

Not sure if he's beating him with a belt.  It could just be a little whack now and then.  It used to just scare us kids more than it hurt growing up when my dad would pull out the belt.  If he's continually beating him with it thats jailable esp considering the dude is on parole for the stick incident, but I think there's still room for a well-placed light belt whack in disciplining a kid if thats all he responds to.

1 hour ago, eball said:

Isn’t there boatloads of evidence out there that “physically” disciplining children has no beneficial effect whatsoever?

No, but there is boatloads of evidence that non-physical discipline has better outcomes in a variety of categories

On the flip side there isn't a whole lot of research into any downsides of avoiding physical discipline, since that angle hasn't been much of a target of study

Given nature's disciplinary response across mammals usually involves nips/swats/etc., and despite our cognition we're mostly just animals, I would be surprised if there were zero positive benefit.  It likely would have weeded itself out if physical feedback were only harmful.  Beyond that, kids under a certain age literally cannot be reasoned with because they lack the necessary cognitive development for it.

If physical discipline is your go-to/something you enjoy, however, you're almost definitely just messing up your kids

3 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

The evidence that he still beats his kid...is his own admission that he still does.  It's a clear violation of his reinstatement.

Admission (that he continues to beat his kid bloody).. so factually incorrect.

Dumbest OP I've read ever. 

Edited by PetermanThrew5Picks

With respect to AP in particular, he was absolutely in the wrong the way he treated his son.  What that kid went through was awful.

AP had pretty recently experienced trauma (baby momma's BF beat APs son to death) about a year prior and based on texts he sent he was using the beating to lash out at her/make her feel hurt.  Really messed up, and the kid absolutely doesn't deserve it, but it's a pretty common/normal response for people to exhibit, particularly if they didn't have the best parental role models in their own life.  It's likely AP is just reflecting his own childhood experiences in his parenting style, for better or (most definitely) worse.

He isn't a monster.  He's probably a pretty awful parent that thinks he's doing the right thing.  I hope his kid turns out okay, because the kid's got an uphill battle ahead of him.