David Carr: Vikings Made a Mistake Paying Cousins $84M

26CornerBlitz

14 hours ago, NoSaint said:

Did they pay him for drastically better play than keenums ceiling? Or because Keenum was a risk to drop off and cousins was reliably the guy that would play at or a little above keenums ceiling?

Those who actually WATCHED Cousins play could tell you that he had a ceiling that did not warrant that kind of a contract... he is not a clutch QB. He is reckless with the ball when his team is in a position to hold a win. Keenum may not have had as high a ceiling as Cousins, but at least Keenum is a smarter NFL QB. The Vikings overreached, and now they are paying the price. They have Diggs, Thielen, and Rudolph for God's sake!!!! We look better with the patchwork offense we have... that's unacceptable.

Edited by EasternOHBillsFan

9 minutes ago, Captain Hindsight said:

Any GM worth their salt is gonna take a chance on Cousins over a guy like Keenum

Keenum was a great story and played out of his mind last year, but to expect him to repeat it was assuming a lot. Hes a solid player, but hes more Fitz than Brees. Cousins isnt perfect, but I trust him to be more consistent for a few years than Keenum.

True, though Cousins is closer to Fitz than future first ballot HoFer and top 10 all time QB Drew Brees too.

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

He has missed the last couple of weeks injured. I think it is a bit that he was always somewhat overrated (I never thought he should have been a top 10 pick and in fact he was my "consensus top 10 pick that I wouldn't touch with a barge pole" in that draft) and a bit that the Vikings have used him in an increasingly off the ball role. When he lines up and rushes the passer he is effective. When he is asked to drop in coverage he has been a liability. That isn't a new thing this year either. What is odd is physically is he looks like he should be able to play in space better than he actually does on the field. I think it is just the instincts are lacking.

Thanks.  Pretty much how I pegged him.  I wasn’t a fan of him coming out either.  Also thought he was overrated.  For such a great physical specimen, his instincts have to be lacking in order to underperform the way he has.  

52 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

True, though Cousins is closer to Fitz than future first ballot HoFer and top 10 all time QB Drew Brees too.

Not saying he is playing all world right now. He looks good to me. As others have mentioned, the line and running game have sucked this year.

Much like the eagles last year, everything went right. This year, more struggles and its showing.

I still think I'd do the deal for cousins than hope Keenum does it again. Itd be like hoping Matt Barkley suddenly becomes who he was at USC as a junior after sucking for 6 years

20 minutes ago, Captain Hindsight said:

Not saying he is playing all world right now. He looks good to me. As others have mentioned, the line and running game have sucked this year.

Much like the eagles last year, everything went right. This year, more struggles and its showing.

I still think I'd do the deal for cousins than hope Keenum does it again. Itd be like hoping Matt Barkley suddenly becomes who he was at USC as a junior after sucking for 6 years

I agree it is more line and running game. But your explanation based on Fitz and Brees was flawed. Both Keenum and Cousins are closer to Fitz than to Brees. I mean Cousins is at least closer to the halfway point than Keenum but he is still the Fitz side of the line. Drew Brees is one of the best of all time and a sure fire first ballot HoFer.

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I agree it is more line and running game. But your explanation based on Fitz and Brees was flawed. Both Keenum and Cousins are closer to Fitz than to Brees. I mean Cousins is at least closer to the halfway point than Keenum but he is still the Fitz side of the line. Drew Brees is one of the best of all time and a sure fire first ballot HoFer.

In all fairness, Brees wasn't "Brees" for a several year stretch when the team around him was subpar.

There's just something about Cousins. He underperforms his analytics. The elite quarterbacks are good to great 12/16 games. Cousins is probably good to great 8 games a year. Consistency sets the greats apart from the pack.

3 hours ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

Those who actually WATCHED Cousins play could tell you that he had a ceiling that did not warrant that kind of a contract... he is not a clutch QB. He is reckless with the ball when his team is in a position to hold a win. Keenum may not have had as high a ceiling as Cousins, but at least Keenum is a smarter NFL QB. The Vikings overreached, and now they are paying the price. They have Diggs, Thielen, and Rudolph for God's sake!!!! We look better with the patchwork offense we have... that's unacceptable.

...but there was a pretty adamant TBD bunch that wanted him here at any cost........along with ""....fire McBeane.....fire McDermott....fire the Rockpile Beerman.."..for not signing him...........hmmmm....

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

13 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

In all fairness, Brees wasn't "Brees" for a several year stretch when the team around him was subpar.

Not true. He was equally brilliant (maybe not as good as this year which is shaping up to be the best of his career) just let down by a defense game after game. The stat is any year Brees has had a defence 26th in the league or better he makes the playoffs. 

13 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Not true. He was equally brilliant (maybe not as good as this year which is shaping up to be the best of his career) just let down by a defense game after game. The stat is any year Brees has had a defence 26th in the league or better he makes the playoffs. 

......hard to imagine Brees' first deal was thought to be WHOPPING back in 2006....damn I'm old.........

After the Chargers refused to increase their offer, Brees met with other teams. The New Orleans Saints and the Miami Dolphins were interested in Brees. New Orleans made an offer that included $10 million in guaranteed money the first year and a $12 million option the second year. Brees signed a 6-year, $60 million deal with the Saints on March 14, 2006.[72]

17 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Not my point. The team won 7 games three years straight and very few people were talking about the legend of "Brees."'

Kind of proves the point that even the greats can go long stretches without winning if their teams are *****. I don't know that Cousins will ever even take a team to the playoffs. He seems to be that rare player who's anti clutch factor outweighs traditional analytics.

The one time Washington was in position to make the postseason, the guy played like trash against the Eagles BACKUPS. I hate to incorporate clutch into anything analytical, but this guy seems to rare in his ability to find ways to screw up when it matters most.

3 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

ALL GUARANTEED BABY!

The labor-heads around here should be thrilled by this.

We are. How's the owner doing?

4 hours ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

Yea, but the flip side is those that watch keenum play don’t think he can get the lead consistently enough to be able to lose the game. 

And while he’s incredibly highly paid, in the universe of new qb contracts is it crazy that he’s similar to Carr, Stafford and garrapolo (after like a month starting)? 30m will be the new normal as elite guys get new deals 

10 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

Not my point. The team won 7 games three years straight and very few people were talking about the legend of "Brees."

Anyone who was watching was still saying this guy is incredible. I actually think he is underappreciated. Unbelieveable. 

• Like (+1) 2

43 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I get why the Vikes did it but Cousins never seemed like anything special.  It has been repeated thousands of times but teams don’t let qbs they believe are franchise changers walk if they think they are good.

...the reckless explosion of QB salaries for mediocrity certainly defines the desperation of the position over the last decade+.......