David Carr: Vikings Made a Mistake Paying Cousins $84M

26CornerBlitz

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Besides the point really..... because Keenum was a good fit in that offense. Now was his 2017 lightening in a bottle and his career year that he will never match? Probably. But the fact is he was a good fit there and he is better in moving pockets than Cousins which I do think helped their offensive line. Losing Pat Schurmer didn't help either in fairness. He is a good coordinator even if I remain unconvinced he is Head Coach material.

That offense isnt there anymore.

Cousins = Stafford

Eyeball test and clutch time perfomance > stats.   People are so stat obsessed.  If anyone watched cousins or Stafford in college they would know that they choked in every big game they had practically.  

Stats dont tell the whole story.  

29 minutes ago, Hebert19 said:

Cousins = Stafford

Eyeball test and clutch time perfomance > stats.   People are so stat obsessed.  If anyone watched cousins or Stafford in college they would know that they choked in every big game they had practically.  

Stafford is tied for 5th in 4th Quarter Comebacks among active QBs and everyone with more than him has at least 5 more years in the league than him. Not sure I'd call him anti-clutch.

The Vikings defense is allowing 7 more points per game this year. That has been the main difference this season, not Cousins.

If the D was anywhere near what they were last year they would be super bowl contenders.

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, Hebert19 said:

Cousins = Stafford

That a reach. I put him in the

=Matt Hasselbeck, Brad Johnson, Rich Gannon, Tannyhill, Keenum (maybe Mariotta or Carr?) 

<Alex Smith, Stafford, Dalton, Flacco, Gorapolo 

>Tyrod, Bortles, Osweiler 

A seconds issue is it seems as if he thinks  he is Drew Brees.

Vikings will regret banking on him. It’s a sucky value.

The NFL knows if you move him off his spot he’s garbage. 

Just now, BuffaloHokie13 said:

Stafford is tied for 5th in 4th Quarter Comebacks among active QBs and everyone with more than him has at least 5 more years in the league than him. Not sure I'd call him anti-clutch.

There you go again....... you are so 'obsessed with stats'......... eye test man. Get with the programme.

2 minutes ago, MDH said:

The Vikings defense is allowing 7 more points per game this year. That has been the main difference this season, not Cousins.

If the D was anywhere near what they were last year they would be super bowl contenders.

It is much more D and run game than QB - definitely. But he hasn't outperformed Keenum and that weakness once off his spot is a part of it.

• Haha (+1) 1

Keenum had a career year last year. He was one of the best QB's in the league. I think the Vikings are fine with that production. They just believed, like a lot of people, that Keenum would not be able to reproduce a season like that, or at least not consistently.

So comparing Keenum's previous season stats to Cousins current season stats makes no sense to me. If anything that shows that they should be happy with Cousins, who is going to give them that consistent production.

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

They can't. I've seen every Vikings game I think.... even that one week Latavius Murray went off against the atrocious Arizona Cardinals he was making a lot of his yards after contact. Their OL is getting zero push in the run game. I think DeFilippo is guilty of getting away from it a bit too quickly at times as well but I understand the temptation when you have two excellent WRs and your run game is going nowhere to put the game on Theilen and Diggs.

The line has regressed too. They lost both guards - Nick Easton to injury and Joe Berger to retirement - and they have been getting no push in the middle as a result. They have put Remmers inside from tackle to guard with less than convincing results. Reiff, who got abused pretty badly by Hughes, has always been a good right tackle slightly out of his depth at left tackle in my mind. He played okay last year and has been okay this year..... the issue really is inside. We have seen it with the Bills too. When you can't run up the middle AT ALL it affects the whole way you run your offense. It means the defense can stop the run without committing an extra man to the box and can play the edges much more effectively.

I’ve only seen around 5 Vikings games this year, so I’d like to know what you think about Anthony’s Barr’s play this season.  In the games I’ve seen, he’s been the Vikings version of Philip Gaines.  He gets picked on on most third downs and isn’t up for the challenge.  Seems to be either vastly overrated or was just being his very well in the past.  

On the stats posted by the OP, 2018 Cousins is playing better than 2017 Keenum.  10 million dollars better?  Who knows, but I'm sure that as you approach the upper end of QB quality the return on your dollar flattens out.  I'm also sure that Minnesota didn't believe Cousins stats would be twice as good as Keenum.  And, as posted by others, Cousins has an upside I don't think he's hit yet, whereas Keenum had the best season he's ever likely to have in 2017.

Cousins is slightly better than Keenum, and at the QB position that translates to 10 mill.

20 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I’ve only seen around 5 Vikings games this year, so I’d like to know what you think about Anthony’s Barr’s play this season.  In the games I’ve seen, he’s been the Vikings version of Philip Gaines.  He gets picked on on most third downs and isn’t up for the challenge.  Seems to be either vastly overrated or was just being his very well in the past.  

He has missed the last couple of weeks injured. I think it is a bit that he was always somewhat overrated (I never thought he should have been a top 10 pick and in fact he was my "consensus top 10 pick that I wouldn't touch with a barge pole" in that draft) and a bit that the Vikings have used him in an increasingly off the ball role. When he lines up and rushes the passer he is effective. When he is asked to drop in coverage he has been a liability. That isn't a new thing this year either. What is odd is physically is he looks like he should be able to play in space better than he actually does on the field. I think it is just the instincts are lacking.

14 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Agreed. Many here wanted the Bills to be in the Cousins sweepstakes.  I never thought it was a good idea. 

I'm so glad we didn't overpay for him. 

I think he seemed a great option to us specifically more so due to TT being gun shy and our starvation for a productive, progressive offense. But I also think Cousins benefited from the timing of it all. He was evaluated well near the top of a league where the mark of QB talent is as polarized and binary as it's ever been (i.e. you're either a Brady/Rodgers franchise qb, or not worth a roster spot - an alex smith game manager being acceptable for a short period of time), and during a time when the QB talent had fairly high parity among those starting in the league outside the top 5-7. Especially given the context of the FA market, he was touted as the prized option. He played well enough to be included in the upper echelon and upside polarity of QBs, and many thought there was a higher ceiling that he could potentially grow into. I never really saw him take that step, nor did his play ever indicate that he would - but I'm no expert and that was just my eye test. There's always plenty more going on than that.

To me, I was never really convinced by his play in Washington. You see the guy on ESPN and read articles and he knows the position and game well enough, but it's never really translated in full to the field in a consistent manner. Granted, I don't think the Vikings struggles are entirely attributable to Cousins either, but the Vikes got exactly what they overpaid for. 

Edited by ctk232

Any GM worth their salt is gonna take a chance on Cousins over a guy like Keenum

Keenum was a great story and played out of his mind last year, but to expect him to repeat it was assuming a lot. Hes a solid player, but hes more Fitz than Brees. Cousins isnt perfect, but I trust him to be more consistent for a few years than Keenum.