The "Process:" Not Just a McDermott Cliche

TigerJ

9 hours ago, TigerJ said:

I was just watching NFL Live on ESPN.  Post game interviews of the Indianapolis Colts had both players and coach mentioning the process a lot.  The Colts have like a 6 game win streak.  Obviously, the "Process" is not a guarantee of winning lots of games, especially for a team with lots of young players in critical positions and some talent holes in a few important positions (like the Bills, but the process is not a bad thing.  It's just a methodical approach to building a winning team and culture.

It's been a staple of self-improvement and business study for many years.

I started a journal around 35 years ago and wrote some of my favorite quotes on the cover over the two and a half years it took me to fill it. So it was a bit more than 30 years ago I found and wrote down this quote: "Joy in the work, faith in the process." 

It's just something to reinforce things for people, as rewards don't come at the same time and in the same quantities as you put in work. When you go on an exercise program and put in two weeks of hard work, you'll look at your lifting results and in the mirror and you'll have made zero progress, or that's what it looks like, anyway. But you don't quit. You have faith in the process. And if you hang in there and if your program is good, you'll start to see results. But there will be plateaus, there will be sudden gains, you will be frustrated. 

So you have faith in the process and you hang in there.

None of which guarantees success in an process as complicated as this one. But it's the way to proceed.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

“The Process” is a beautiful, fail safe, Get Out of Jail Free Card to be played at any time for any situation.  It’s brilliant.

- You win by 30.  “Winning Big is part of the process.

- You lose by 30 at home against inferior opponent. “Learning not to be over confident is part of the process.”

its all true...but at all time creates a rigged game to deflect any responsibility and just keep moving forward.

i think it’s brilliant.

I don't believe so.  In the NFL, the bottom line is winning.  If Sean McDermott does not build a consistent winner in Buffalo he will eventually be fired.  Terry Pegula will not buy "process" if winning does not accompany it.  Process recognizes that in a city where losing has been a way of life fore well over a decade, the things that it will take to build a winner can't all be done overnight.  Since they cannot, you need a deliberate stategy to accomplish it over time - process. 

1 hour ago, TigerJ said:

I don't believe so.  In the NFL, the bottom line is winning.  If Sean McDermott does not build a consistent winner in Buffalo he will eventually be fired.  Terry Pegula will not buy "process" if winning does not accompany it.  Process recognizes that in a city where losing has been a way of life fore well over a decade, the things that it will take to build a winner can't all be done overnight.  Since they cannot, you need a deliberate stategy to accomplish it over time - process. 

But saying “the process” works in the short term.  As in minutes after a blowout lose and your standing in front of the media.

McDermott has been quoted saying, he sees the process, knows they are going the right direction, this is normal in the growth, trust the process.

it is an unassailable Defense for the time being.

It's just a buzzword for Lean or Sis Sigma management systems.  This was all started by Toyota and has morphed in to various forms.  The underlying premise is continuous improvement in every aspect of the manufacturing process or in the performance of the organization.  There is nothing special to it.  There are a million books on the topic now.  It is everywhere in sports but more prevalent in football because it is the ultimate team sport.  You can hear it the way Saban speaks and as pointed out by multiple NFL franchises.

14 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...hard to deny that the Pats and Steelers are probably the two best top to bottom football organizations in the league.....non-meddling ownership, managerial and coaching continuity with the ability to replace those who get offers elsewhere, "our way" or adios, players routinely granting "hometown discounts" to stay, opportunities given those players who have had scrapes elsewhere to redeem themselves on a short leash....play and you stay....combined ELEVEN Lombardis may mean they're doing something right........

I know the owners in Pittsburgh don't meddle, but I do feel like the culture in that organization starts with them.   It's not really even a culture in there it's more than that.  

• Like (+1) 1

Every organization has a "process."  No successful company just wings it.  

The catch is that sometimes the process isn't working towards meeting goals.  This is the test of any leader.  Some leaders are stonecutters in that they believe that if they just hammering away at it, things will eventually work.  There's little discussion in whether the process itself needs tweaking.

On the other hand, some leaders will have a neurotic tendancy to tweak details at the first sign of trouble.  Before you know it, the process no longer looks like the process and you're in an ocean of doubt.  Was the process at fault or all the changes I made to it?

It's part art, part science.  

10 hours ago, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

But saying “the process” works in the short term.  As in minutes after a blowout lose and your standing in front of the media.

McDermott has been quoted saying, he sees the process, knows they are going the right direction, this is normal in the growth, trust the process.

it is an unassailable Defense for the time being.

Maybe people view it that way.  It sure hasn't placated a lot of fans, however.  

19 hours ago, row_33 said:

quite frankly around 2000 I came to believe that the concept of a sports dynasty was finished

with free agency and the free movement of players at their whim and caprice it seemed like it would never happen again

i am currently watching the Pats and Warriors dynasties, even by the loosest of definitions, and am not sure we will ever see the likes of this kind of combination lasting more than 2 years again.

so trying to imitate them after the fact may not be the best way to have a decent run of seasons in the near future?

Trust the process ?, ??️‍, ??, its the Patriot way

Edited by formerlyofCtown

On 11/19/2018 at 4:53 PM, row_33 said:

Did Belichick bypass losses by pointing to a process?

Not sure, but his quotes/coaching platitudes from this piece 5 years ago sure look an awful lot like what we get to hear from McD at OBD most days...

https://www.boston.com/sports/extra-points/2013/07/27/belichick_preps_for_camps_second_day

Belichick's "process management" style discussed here:

https://www.jaywren.com/the-power-of-the-process-management-nick-saban-and-bill-belichick/

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/20/2018 at 6:53 AM, row_33 said:

Did Belichick bypass losses by pointing to a process?

No, he doesn't bypass losses by pointing to a process. But neither does McDermott. Does Belichick have a process and talk about it? Um, yeah.

"We've just gotta keep stringing days together, take advantage of our opportunities to go out there and improve, and trust the process." - Bill Belichick.

https://www.patriots.com/video/bill-belichick-8-3-trust-the-process        Check out 00:53 in the video.

That definition - bypassing losses by pointing to a process - is *****. That's not what the process is about. It's where we often hear the word, because when you're winning people ask you about other things and you want to talk about other things.

Good teams and players have a process. When you're losing, you want to tell people what you're doing to change that. And there are a lot of ways to say the same thing. Working the process is one, but you could as easily say, "We're on the path to success," or "We're working on consistent improvement," or "We're following the plan," or "We've got a long way to go, but we're going," or a million other variations. That's not an excuse or a way to bypass things. It's telling people what you're doing.  There's nothing wrong with it.

Does Belichick have a process? Yup. Does he bypass losses? Yup, and wins too. He's always on to the next game, which is part of his process, and really the process of any franchise that wins consistently.

Tim Ferriss: LeBron, if you look for instance at the big names that came into the league at the same time that you did, it's staggering to see how few of them are still playing, and yet here you are playing as the best in the NBA. Are there any particular approaches you've taken or things that you attribute that to?

LeBron James: Well, I can't speak on any other players or anybody who came in around my time or a little bit after me or not to far from when I came in but I know me personally, I've just been very consistent with the process. I've been very consistent with training my body, rehabbing my body ...

https://content.production.cdn.art19.com/episodes/b97b91ba-c496-46a0-8e2b-08544e9c0f15/38dce2e66bba2b23bdf56993e60c9e75da8eca0bb758f9633a0ee72f82226bc92b0b4fe63e736798f6d6623d4eee7cb604ec189d276f0e98a40206b658f44854/TheTimFerrissShow_Lebron James_.mp3

Go to 16:30 in the audio.

Only in Buffalo do people associate "the process" with McDermott.

Edited by Thurman#1

1 hour ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Not only did McD not come up with trust the process, he didn't even come up with McD. That was first used in the American vernacular by the McDonald's Corporation, which I believe makes hamburgers IIRC. 

It's McCafe now?