Voting Rights

Thurmal34

How do folks feel about the right to vote as an American citizen? Lots of takes in play:

- Should all Americans be automatically registered as voters at 18?

- Should that right be taken away if convicted of a crime or is it inalienable?

- Should there be independent bodies that govern and demarcate districts at both the federal and state level? 

- Is the goal to restrict the eligible voting populace or to expand it? What is the reasoning for either approach?

Curious to learn where folks are on this.

Thx!

6 hours ago, Thurmal34 said:

Maybe ppl don't want to reply?

Give people the benefit of the doubt at 11 on Friday night. This board has a lot of white guys without kids. It’s Red Dead Redemption night in America.

I liked voting by mail when I used to travel a lot. It allowed me to do my research and vote at my liesure. So I’d like the ability to vote by mail.  

I like Oregon’s opt out at license registration. 

Once a criminal pays their dues, they should be allowed to vote. If some legislative body wants to split a baby and leave off murderers and sex offenders so be it. 

Voter ID laws are long overdue. How hard is it to carry an ID? 

Voting machines need updating. I’m looking at chads in Florida. In 2018. 

Open primaries would ease the stranglehold of the parties and make it harder for extreme candidates. This is a state issue. But as a registered non-affiliated voter, I get no say in primaries in my state. 

Also not against ranked choice voting where in big elections, you vote for 3 candidates. #1 vote getter wins. Some states have this and it would also mitigate the extremists. 

The founders set up a lot of checks to populism and extremists. It might be time for some updating. Most of the country is not polarized, but the people who shout the most and are in forums like this are. 

Edited by BeginnersMind

16 hours ago, Thurmal34 said:

How do folks feel about the right to vote as an American citizen? Lots of takes in play:

- Should there be independent bodies that govern and demarcate districts at both the federal and state level? 

- Is the goal to restrict the eligible voting populace or to expand it? What is the reasoning for either approach?

Thx!

The voting age should be raised to 21 and voluntary relinquishment of voting rights should be a condition of receiving Federal public assistance.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Rob's House said:

The voting age should be raised to 21 and voluntary relinquishment of voting rights should be a condition of receiving Federal public assistance.

The voting age should be raised to 26.  If you're parents still pay for your medical care, you shouldn't be allowed to vote.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Professors Lalley, Weyl and Posner of (I Believe) the Chicago School of Economics came up with quadratic voting.  For Corporate shareholder voting, shareholders could participate by buying votes which vary in value based on quantity.  The formula was a calculus equation that I can't follow.  The money put in was to have been distributed among the shareholders.

In a public election scenarios, they modified it to give every voter 10 votes and the votes could be cast in any combination, depending on how important a particular race was to the voter.  So someone could cast one vote for ten different candidates, or ten for one, or any combination they so chose.  No buying or selling votes in that case.  

I dont know know if either of these ideas were ever tried. They obviously made the case for the results being more equitable, and preventing someone from buying an election, no matter how much they spent.

I don't think the 10 votes idea is in the link,  below -- it mainly deals with Corporate governance.  I think Posner came up with that later. Also, if you search for "quadratic voting" you will note that there are already blockchain programs being developed to handle elections run that way.

https://chicagounbound.uchicago.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=11400&context=journal_articles

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, snafu said:

Professors Lalley, Weyl and Posner of (I Believe) the Chicago School of Economics came up with quadratic voting.  For Corporate shareholder voting, shareholders could participate by buying votes which vary in value based on quantity.  The formula was a calculus equation that I can't follow.  The money put in was to have been distributed among the shareholders.

In a public election scenarios, they modified it to give every voter 10 votes and the votes could be cast in any combination, depending on how important a particular race was to the voter.  So someone could cast one vote for ten different candidates, or ten for one, or any combination they so chose.  No buying or selling votes in that case.  

I dont know know if either of these ideas were ever tried. They obviously made the case for the results being more equitable, and preventing someone from buying an election, no matter how much they spent.

I don't think the 10 votes idea is in the link,  below -- it mainly deals with Corporate governance.  I think Posner came up with that later. Also, if you search for "quadratic voting" you will note that there are already blockchain programs being developed to handle elections run that way.

https://chicagounbound.uchicago.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=11400&context=journal_articles

You have idiots in Florida that can't find the part of the ballot to vote for their senator.  Or they can't thoroughly punch a ballot.  

Imagine giving those morons this 10 vote system.

Florida doesn't have people smart enough to do a recount with the current system.

Imagine making them recount this 10 vote system 

• Haha (+1) 1

23 hours ago, Thurmal34 said:

Thx!

-Sure, I'd be fine with automatic registration.   But the rolls should come from the IRS.  If you filed a tax return, you are automatically registered to vote.  If you didn't, you aren't.  Simple as that.

-No rights should be inalienable.  If you demonstrate that you can't act like a human being, you shouldn't be treated like one.

-Sure, assuming there is still such a thing as an independent body.  I'm not sure that's the case.

-There should be no such 'goal' either way.   All who contribute to the greater good should be eligible to participate.  But those who can't be bothered to educate themselves or drag their lazy ass off the couch to vote should not be encouraged to do so.   The only reason anyone would encourage an ignorant voter to go to the polls is if they thought the person was going to vote the way they wanted and manipulating the ignorant is already destroying our system.

• Like (+1) 1

Eliminate all government taxes.

Every government program must be put on the ballot.

Charge $1 per vote. Unlimited amount of votes. Open to any person in the world via internet transaction.

Money generated will fund that specific program only.

Edited by unbillievable

29 minutes ago, unbillievable said:

Charge $1 per vote. Unlimited amount of votes. Open to any person in the world via internet transaction.

Really? :huh:

3 hours ago, unbillievable said:

What’s your drink of choice?

On 11/17/2018 at 5:10 AM, BeginnersMind said:

Give people the benefit of the doubt at 11 on Friday night. This board has a lot of white guys without kids. It’s Red Dead Redemption night in America.

I liked voting by mail when I used to travel a lot. It allowed me to do my research and vote at my liesure. So I’d like the ability to vote by mail.  

I like Oregon’s opt out at license registration. 

Once a criminal pays their dues, they should be allowed to vote. If some legislative body wants to split a baby and leave off murderers and sex offenders so be it. 

Voter ID laws are long overdue. How hard is it to carry an ID? 

Voting machines need updating. I’m looking at chads in Florida. In 2018. 

Open primaries would ease the stranglehold of the parties and make it harder for extreme candidates. This is a state issue. But as a registered non-affiliated voter, I get no say in primaries in my state. 

Also not against ranked choice voting where in big elections, you vote for 3 candidates. #1 vote getter wins. Some states have this and it would also mitigate the extremists. 

The founders set up a lot of checks to populism and extremists. It might be time for some updating. Most of the country is not polarized, but the people who shout the most and are in forums like this are. 

Why do you hate white men?

7 minutes ago, BeginnersMind said:

Making an observation. Maybe I’m wrong and this board represents a political socio racial economic cross section of America. Bahahaha. 

No comment on the vote discussion?

And he was also making an observation.  If you had made a blanket statement about black females with 6 kids the Intarwebs would have blown up.

The sentiment and statement are the same but change the nouns and see what happens

8 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

Are football fans in general a cross section of America?   

Not sure on age politics race and $$, but probably at least male dominated. But I was making an observation about the board in a jibe at the drunk guy. 

This board is definitely honkey right. 

6 minutes ago, /dev/null said:

And he was also making an observation.  If you had made a blanket statement about black females with 6 kids the Intarwebs would have blown up.

The sentiment and statement are the same but change the nouns and see what happens

His “observation” is that I hate white men. That would be news to me and most of my best friends are white guys and my family has a lot of them. It’s just him trying to incite something he believes to be true. Not taking up the points of discussion. 

I wouldnt make the comments about black mothers, not being one. 

Edited by BeginnersMind

3 minutes ago, BeginnersMind said:

Not sure on age politics race and $$, but probably at least male dominated. But I was making an observation about the board in a jibe at the drunk guy. 

This board is definitely honkey right. 

I'd say it's closer to 'honkey common sense'.   

14 minutes ago, /dev/null said:

Prog-fascists say racist things, believe in racist principles - all the while pretending they're not racists (or glowing mother fukkers). It's what they do.

• Like (+1) 1

I love how making a joke about white guys playing the new cowboy video game on Friday night makes me a racist. I try not to indulge your illness DR but you’re sometimes too amusing for me to resist. You win this round in getting me to respond. 

Edited by BeginnersMind

2 minutes ago, BeginnersMind said:

I love how making a joke about white guys playing the new cowboy video game on Friday night makes me a racist. I try not to indulge your illness DR but you’re sometimes too amusing for me to resist. You win this round in getting me to respond. 

But he has a point.....has the left not gone off the deep end with all the hypocritical 'racist' bullsh-- ?

2 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

But he has a point.....has the left not gone off the deep end with all the hypocritical 'racist' bullsh-- ?

Of course!

Though there is also real racist ***** (see Charlottesville) and it’s important to call it out too. 

Edited by BeginnersMind

3 minutes ago, BeginnersMind said:

Of course!

Though there is also real racist ***** (see Charlottesville) and it’s important to call it out too. 

Right...there are still a handful of KKK nuts running around.  Which completely justifies the left's attempting to characterize half the country as racist.

17 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

Right...there are still a handful of KKK nuts running around.  Which completely justifies the left's attempting to characterize half the country as racist.

He's not worth the time or effort. He's dishonest and a racist (who doesn't know he's a racist because he thinks he's enlightened - which makes him a dangerous idiot to boot). 

In other words, he's a prog fascist asshat. 

1 hour ago, KD in CA said:

There problem is more than a “handful of KKK nuts,” as I’m sure you know. 

The people who overblow the issue of race do the victims of racism no favors.  

But we can leave it since this is not the thread for that.

2 minutes ago, westside said:

I can't get past your racism to comment

No, no, no. He's not racist. He's enlightened. Making blanket assumptions about people's race and culture is allowed so long as you believe you're better than those people you're casting aspirations against. Thinking he's racist for making racist comments makes YOU the racist, Westside. :ph34r:

/Progfascist NPC talking point

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

No, no, no. He's not racist. He's enlightened. Making blanket assumptions about people's race and culture is allowed so long as you believe you're better than those people you're casting aspirations against. Thinking he's racist for making racist comments makes YOU the racist, Westside. :ph34r:

/Progfascist NPC talking point

Thanks DR, I always forget how enlightened snowflakes are. What was I thinking? 

• Haha (+1) 1