Is this a playoff team with Tyrod?

Mikie2times

Not only is the answer NO, it is not even close.   The team has regressed in several areas...O line, tight end play, receivers on the offensive side (ignoring the QB issues as obvious)   The D has played well, but, really the rookie in the middle lb job isn't the run plugger Brown was.....and the CB position has been a dumpster fire for most of the season so far.  Bills desperately trying to find someone who  can play cb.  Yes, Taron Johnson looks like a 3d cb, but, EJ Gaines replacement has not been found imho.

14 minutes ago, CuddyDark said:

Yes. Maybe. 9 or 10 wins.

yeah I'm starting to think so. I thought we were a but fluky on defense last year. Don't get me wrong we were very good, just not get-Tyrod-game-managing a horrible offense leveraged by elite play on defense good.

But our defense looks so good right now, I see no flukes in the turnovers they're just straight up ball hawks (shouts out to even having them in our front-7 especially you Milano!) they seem to have a huge emphasis on capitalizing PBU opportunities.. which I used to think was coached to break the pass down, often we bat the ball up towards the middle, and everbody seems to be on the same page to be on the lookout for that and attack the ball so they either get a turnover or make sure some rando WR doesn't just grab it and turn upfield on a lucky broken play.

Anyways, this defense looks really good to my eyes. Better than last year (and why shouldn't they be?) and yeah, Tyrod could get by like that. He'd have the best strength of any available option at the time of elevating a garbage offense to get some ugly first downs and keep the defense in the game.

He'd get us very close, or to the playoffs IMO.. and I see nothing wrong with that. He wasn't ever going to be the man but giving these guys the experience of winning seasons, winning football, knowing their formula for success so that when the QB we drafted high and his offense is ready, we're complete on both sides of the ball!

And no.. his 3rd round return didn't get us JA. We had a million thirds in that draft at one point could have just as easily flipped the 3rd for Benjamin instead. We act like Tyrod flipped into Allen. Well what if the 3rd for KB.. just think about flipping KB for Allen, and I see a team that can squeeze out wins better than last year.

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, KzooMike said:

We have almost a carbon copy of last years team in an even weaker playoff battle. With Tyrod I think it would have been back to back playoff years. Give him two turnovers in a game and he wins more often than not. No, I don't think he's good. But what he does do is protect the ball, enhance the running game, and to some extent mask poor offensive line play. Whats even more silly about the whole thing is he gets traded to the exact same situation he would have faced here. Perhaps he would have had the same fate in Buffalo he has in Cleveland if he was retained. I know Taylor has been talked to nauseous levels. I just find the thought process on this interesting and I'm curious what others think. Is this a playoff team with Taylor?   

At first I was all set to shout at you for posting a troll thread, but the question is valid, and this wasn't a fanboy attempt to stir the shitpot.  so, to honestly answer your question, no.  There's not a QB in the league that could have performed well in the games where this offensive line looked like they were the walking dead, and I can't think of a game the Bill lost that tyrod could have improved the outcome.  some might say the Houston game, but I contend that it was Tyrod that held this team back last year, not the reason they won 9 games.  His lack of pocket skills and inability to push the ball down the field got him shipped off to that dumpster fire in clevelend where he quickly lost the starting job, just like he should have. 

Now, where your statement is categorically false is the "carbon copy" statement.  Not only does the defense have a completely new look and feel to it with a lot of newer stronger talent, but the offense alone lost 3 of their best linemen, and the WR position had only 1 full time receiver return.  Zay Jones was an intermittent starter.  Totally different roster at key positions on offense.

5-6 wins with Tyrod at QB this year, with Allen learning as he goes, or with any luck that Barkley keeps performing the way her did, 6-8 wins.  they were not a real playoff team last year, lets not kid ourselves, Tyrod was downright terrible in sustaining drives all year.  Happy he was sent off.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Teddy KGB said:

Any logic behind this ? 

Couldn't win with 6 turnovers this year. 

Benched by week 3 after being named starter for the year. 

I think you’re off by 50% or more

Better defense. Tyrod's the only guy available to us that can play with a crappy offense just getting ugly first down scrambles and whatnot... it's not like he wasn't used to playing with crap last year. But primarily a much improved defense, which I didn't expect, that would have led to a less fluky version of last year's team.

Agree with the "heck, no!" crowd... Tyrod perhaps gets us to 4-6.  So I'll contradict myself and say, perhaps, with a 5-1 streak to end the season the Bills squeak in with some (much) luck on Week 17.  There's no guarantee that this Bills roster with Tyrod could finish almost perfect in the last 6 games, either.  And in the alternate reality with Tyrod at QB, who's to say they still win the Minnesota or Tennessee games?  Probably, but we simply don't know.  As pointed out, there was too much roster regression on offense, and the defense did take a step back.  

T-Mobile was obviously better than Peterman (who isn't) and is better than Allen (how much better?) at this point but he's not a carry a team kind of QB in my opinion, not even close.  A complementary piece/game manager type QB for a team with an elite defense and special teams?  That's another question...

Edited by technobot

9 minutes ago, Homey D. Clown said:

5-6 wins with Tyrod at QB this year, with Allen learning as he goes, or with any luck that Barkley keeps performing the way her did, 6-8 wins.  they were not a real playoff team last year, lets not kid ourselves, Tyrod was downright terrible in sustaining drives all year.  Happy he was sent off.

I don't think they were a real playoff team without some fluke plays, but this defense is not straight no-fluke good. And he was terrible at sustaining drives but certainly better than anybody available quarterback on the market for this crappy offense he's working with. I mean.. we had quarterbacks that have a 5% chance of getting one first down. Tyrod's 25% chance on ugly broken plays scrapes us some ugly wins haha.

Plus he's a Dolphin murderer! That's two automatic wins on the schedule haha. Dolphins fans have a skewed sample size of seeing him but it's pretty darn funny how good they think he is lol.

7 minutes ago, technobot said:

T-Mobile was obviously better than Peterman (who isn't) and is better than Allen (how much better?) at this point but he's not a carry a team kind of QB in my opinion, not even close.  A complementary piece/game manager type QB for a team with an elite defense and special teams?  That's another question...

He's game manager better than Allen absolutely. I think for the better, Allen will never be a game manager.. of course that makes his floor much lower and his ceiling much higher, but on this team.. a game manager scrapes wins and I think Tyrod was the best available (to us).

Ultimately a gunslinger with this defense makes us potent. So just study Brett Favre tapes and train with Brett Favre, Allen. No reading defense. Just instinctual sheer arm power getting you by!

Edited by PetermanThrew5Picks

11 hours ago, KzooMike said:

We have almost a carbon copy of last years team in an even weaker playoff battle. With Tyrod I think it would have been back to back playoff years. Give him two turnovers in a game and he wins more often than not. No, I don't think he's good. But what he does do is protect the ball, enhance the running game, and to some extent mask poor offensive line play. Whats even more silly about the whole thing is he gets traded to the exact same situation he would have faced here. Perhaps he would have had the same fate in Buffalo he has in Cleveland if he was retained. I know Taylor has been talked to nauseous levels. I just find the thought process on this interesting and I'm curious what others think. Is this a playoff team with Taylor?   

No

2 hours ago, The Red King said:

You saw what Tyrod did in Cleveland with the personel there.  I reiterate, what makes you think he would have done better here, with the offensive personel we have, then he did there?  You can't handwave away his performance as a Brown.

TT would Have given us a chance in all of the Peterman debacles with many fewer turnovers.  The Colts and Texans could have been wins.  5-5 record at this point with TT would have given us a fair chance for a playoff birth.

Edited by longtimebillsfan
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Teddy KGB said:

Any logic behind this ? 

Couldn't win with 6 turnovers this year. 

Benched by week 3 after being named starter for the year. 

I think you’re off by 50% or more

It's a new team with new players, a new HC and OC so a ton of change for any starting QB. We don't know what would have happened this year with the Browns if they didn't draft the best QB to come out. Mayfield is better than Tyrod. Tyrod is better (right now) than all of the Bills QBs. He'd have the same receivers, HC, OL coach. Basically the same team and environment with the only change being OC. He'd also have a better kicker and If I remember the Kicker missed the GW kick in that 6 TO game.

1 minute ago, Teddy KGB said:

00.00 GM’s would trade Josh Allen for Tyrod 

That would make your claim false.  

He's saying right now! Of course no GM builds his team around Tyrod over Allen... I'd wager the 2015 Broncos in win-now mode would rather have Tyrod for a season than a Brock Ozzy (less expensive Allen clone at that time) or Allen.

Edited by PetermanThrew5Picks

5 minutes ago, CuddyDark said:

If he was 2-0 he'd keep playing. Coaches play to win. Not for Fans or stats. No one cares about JA 82 yard game.

You want me to play along and pretend Tyrod hasn’t sucked for the last 3 years ????

Get it together man ! 

He was benched after a 19 yard game vs the jets this season 

yes those same jets that were down 30 at halftime to Matt Barkley 

Game over !    Check and Checkmate ! 

g1358387951110081535.jpg

Edited by Teddy KGB
  • Like (+1) 1