Jump to content
26CornerBlitz

Sammy Watkins Admits to an "Ego Problem" When He First Came into the League

Recommended Posts

7 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

About $2 million less.  And yes, I would overpay for a receiver to help my young qb.  It’s exactly what the Chiefs did to help Mahomes.  Threats open up the entire offense.  McCoy is doing terrible because the defense don’t respect any receiver on our team and load the box.

why didn't the rams just pay the extra 2 million a year?  would it have destroyed their cap?  they invested a second in sammy, then spent a first to replace him...for 2 mill?  a first?  isn't that strange to you?  i think a good, wr is very improtant to a young qb too.  that's why i never understood why people were so angry the bills took him to help ej.  he was in no way worth two firsts, but i understood why they did it.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, teef said:

why didn't the rams just pay the extra 2 million a year?  would it have destroyed their cap?  they invested a second in sammy, then spent a first to replace him...for 2 mill?  a first?  isn't that strange to you?  i think a good, wr is very improtant to a young qb too.  that's why i never understood why people were so angry the bills took him to help ej.  he was in no way worth two firsts, but i understood why they did it.

 

 

It is hard to criticize the Rams right now, obviously, but that Sammy trade was bad.  I thought they had to have a plan in place to extend him after trading a 2nd for him. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, SWATeam said:

It is hard to criticize the Rams right now, obviously, but that Sammy trade was bad.  I thought they had to have a plan in place to extend him after trading a 2nd for him. 

they really did seem to mishandle that, (although it didn't hurt them).  why give up a second, and later a first to replace a wr? especially over 2 mill.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like big ego. Guess who has big egos? Tom Brady and other assorted all-pros.

 

Lockerroom distractions and Dez Bryant's level of overrated talent based ego ain't good one bit.

 

I don't think, while malcontent, Watkins was so bad in the lockerroom. And this gets put in check when leaders (like Shady giving Watkins a picture of targets to stop his complaining). Cowboys were total wimps keeping Dez in check with poor leadership from Dak, Zeke, and most of all Garret and Jerry Jones let it fester to the point of no return.

 

Strong leadership to turn ego into production is what makes a good coach. Not coaches that are scared of addressing it and choose not to.

Edited by PetermanThrew5Picks
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

 

Didn't miss any time due to injury last season and none so far this year. 

He did miss almost an entire game with a routine quad/hamstring issue.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, SWATeam said:

It is hard to criticize the Rams right now, obviously, but that Sammy trade was bad.  I thought they had to have a plan in place to extend him after trading a 2nd for him. 

They had the highest scoring offense in the nfl with Sammy.

23 minutes ago, teef said:

they really did seem to mishandle that, (although it didn't hurt them).  why give up a second, and later a first to replace a wr? especially over 2 mill.

Sammy signed the second free agency started.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, dave mcbride said:

He did miss almost an entire game with a routine quad/hamstring issue.

 

Against Denver on MNF IIRC.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

They had the highest scoring offense in the nfl with Sammy.

 

Yes, they averaged 29.9 last year with Sammy.  Then, after letting him walk, they are averaging 33.2 this year.  Addition by subtraction?  Stats are fun!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SWATeam said:

It is hard to criticize the Rams right now, obviously, but that Sammy trade was bad.  I thought they had to have a plan in place to extend him after trading a 2nd for him. 

It only seems bad to people who overvalue draft picks (as I think many do). He helped get them up off the doormat last season, and while didn't have a ton of catches, he had a lot of TDs and a high ypc. That's important for an offense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Glassy Watkins hurt again?  I'm astonished.   

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

It only seems bad to people who overvalue draft picks (as I think many do). He helped get them up off the doormat last season, and while didn't have a ton of catches, he had a lot of TDs and a high ypc. That's important for an offense.

We'll see how it works out, the Rams clearly don't overvalue draft picks.  I understand going all-in while having a cheap QB, but they better win in all in the next couple years or they are going to be in some trouble, IMO.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

 

Sammy signed the second free agency started.  

that's nice.  i'm just not sure why they gave him away after investing a second in him, only to give up a first to then replace him.  i think i'd rather keep the first and give up the extra 2 mill a year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, SWATeam said:

Yes, they averaged 29.9 last year with Sammy.  Then, after letting him walk, they are averaging 33.2 this year.  Addition by subtraction?  Stats are fun!

And Sammy is on a team that averages more points than that!  But clearly, you and the Bills have this whole offense thing down pat.  Our team is super fun to watch.  I love our wrs.  Sammy clearly won’t be an upgrade.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, SWATeam said:

Yes, they averaged 29.9 last year with Sammy.  Then, after letting him walk, they are averaging 33.2 this year.  Addition by subtraction?  Stats are fun!

i'm not even being critical of sammy here, but i don't think some people realize the points they're making when quoting sammy's stats.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, C.Biscuit97 said:

And Sammy is on a team that averages more points than that!  But clearly, you and the Bills have this whole offense thing down pat.  Our team is super fun to watch.  I love our wrs.  Sammy clearly won’t be an upgrade.

It's easy to fall back on- "The Bills suck so everything they do is wrong."  Lazy, but easy.

 

You're right, I'm creaming my pants right now thinking about watching the aerial assault of Peterman to Sammy.  What might have been...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, SWATeam said:

It's easy to fall back on- "The Bills suck so everything they do is wrong."  Lazy, but easy.

 

You're right, I'm creaming my pants right now thinking about watching the aerial assault of Peterman to Sammy.  What might have been...

this is what far too many decide to go back to when the sammy argument comes up.  the bills completely mishandled the wr position after sammy left, but that still doesn't mean getting a pick for a guy that was going to leave for 16 mill a year was a bad idea.  how they followed up was bad.

 

sammy is a guy that will help your team, but he isn't the game changer too many are trying to make him out to be.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, teef said:

just because the bills wrs are terrible, it does not mean that it's worth paying sammy 16 mill a year.  he's good, but certainly not elite.  i don't know why people can't separate the two.  

If one of the best offensive minds in the game thinks Sammy was worth it,

I'll go with his opinion.

 

44 minutes ago, SWATeam said:

We'll see how it works out, the Rams clearly don't overvalue draft picks.  I understand going all-in while having a cheap QB, but they better win in all in the next couple years or they are going to be in some trouble, IMO.

They don't? 

 

They just traded a third rounder to Jacksonville. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

If one of the best offensive minds in the game thinks Sammy was worth it,

I'll go with his opinion.

 

 

what?  what are you arguing here?  just because he paid 16 mill a year doesn't mean he's elite.  he's not.  i'm still trying to figure out why the rams parted ways with him...and i don't think it's over 2 mill more a year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, teef said:

what?  what are you arguing here?  just because he paid 16 mill a year doesn't mean he's elite.  he's not.  i'm still trying to figure out why the rams parted ways with him...and i don't think it's over 2 mill more a year.

The argument seems to be he's not worth $16 million a year.... almost like it's coming out of the Bills fans own pockets. It's not your money, the Bills have the cap, and one of the best offensive minds in football thought they needed to pay him 16 million a year. 

 

I'll take Reid's opinion over anyone's here and certainly McBeanes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, ScottLaw said:

The argument seems to be he's not worth $16 million a year.... almost like it's coming out of the Bills fans own pockets. It's not your money, the Bills have the cap, and one of the best offensive minds in football thought they needed to pay him 16 million a year. 

 

I'll take Reid's opinion over anyone's here and certainly McBeanes.

what?  so you would have pain anything sammy wanted?  if another team matched the bills offer, would sammy have stayed or moved on?  i know you'll say the bills could have taken the 5th year option, but what after that?  you really don't have an argument.  his production isn't worth what he's paid.  so andy reid over paid for sammy...so what? 

 

again, explain to me why the rams traded for him for a second, only to let him go, and use a first to replace him?  oh let me guess...reid wanted him so it doesn't need explaining.

 

if you can come up with an answer...great.  otherwise this is just scott talk.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

The argument seems to be he's not worth $16 million a year.... almost like it's coming out of the Bills fans own pockets. It's not your money, the Bills have the cap, and one of the best offensive minds in football thought they needed to pay him 16 million a year. 

 

I'll take Reid's opinion over anyone's here and certainly McBeanes.

It’s not worth it.  They will never get that good offensive cos he’s know that having multiple threats on offense open up the entire offense.  The Bills have constructed one of the worst offense in the history of the nfl in a league that begs you to score points.  Almost every offensive decision they have made has been terrible.

 

but I’m looking forward to fans nitpicking Sammy in the playoffs again.  I’m sure he is terribly upset to be gone. Just like Gilmore. Just like Darby. Just like Woods, Just like Hogan.  Thank you for rebuilding this disaster of a team McBean!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, teef said:

what?  so you would have pain anything sammy wanted?  if another team matched the bills offer, would sammy have stayed or moved on?  i know you'll say the bills could have taken the 5th year option, but what after that?  you really don't have an argument.  his production isn't worth what he's paid.  so andy reid over paid for sammy...so what? 

 

again, explain to me why the rams traded for him for a second, only to let him go, and use a first to replace him?  oh let me guess...reid wanted him so it doesn't need explaining.

 

if you can come up with an answer...great.  otherwise this is just scott talk.

What's so hard for you to comprehend? Pick up his option and pay him the going rate for a receiver of his status. 

 

 I have no idea and neither do you on why the Rams didn't get him resigned. What's your point though? Because the Rams didn't resign him means they didn't want to pay him? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ScottLaw said:

What's so hard for you to comprehend? Pick up his option and pay him the going rate for a receiver of his status. 

 

 I have no idea and neither do you on why the Rams didn't get him resigned. What's your point though? Because the Rams didn't resign him means they didn't want to pay him? 

ok.  pick up his option, and then what next year?  you just think the bills should have paid him whatever?  that seems to be the only point you have to make.  pay him anything he wants for average production!  right?!  and i know your response to this...what about the bills wrs now?  i get that the bills screwed that position up, but that still, in no way means they should have paid sammy whatever they wanted.   he's not worth 16 mill a year...at all.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×