A Few Thoughts about the Patriots Game, in no particular order

Virgil

Call me a bad fan, but I was dreading this game all week.  I didn't know what outcome I would see, but I knew it was going to be one of two.  Either we kept in close for a while and ended up getting blown out, or we would have our typical Bills hope game where we find a way to give it away at the end.  Well, it seems that I got a little of both.  I'm not going to look for moral victories here as this is a NFL football team and it's all about the Win's and Losses.

1 - Shady - I've said this a few times now, but I think Ivory is the better runner for this team.  Yes, Shady is faster and shiftier in space, but he's not getting into space much and his lack of decisive attacks to the line is costing him yards.  I'm also noticing more and more that Shady isn't even breaking arm tackles.  Ivory may not have the big runs, but he hits the hole hard with a few solid gains.  He's a more punishing rusher and is better suited for our offense.

2 - 3rd and 8 before Halftime - This is the punt in the snow game against the Colts last year.  I can't understand this play call here.  We aren't going to beat the Pats with field goals and 8 yards isn't insurmountable.  Well, maybe in this offense.  Either way, even with gaining no yards, you're still in field goal range.  These are the kinds of plays that make me want to say ***** the process.  We want to build a culture and turn some heads, play to win.  

3 - The Glorious Hits - I've complained about broken tackles in previous weeks, but not today (minus Stanford's whiff on 3rd and long)  Not only were we tackling well, but we were laying the wood on the Pats.  And yes, it felt really good.  Brady took some shots today, none more beautiful than when he tried to lay a block.  But we were all over the place today and punishing the Pats players.  These guys showed up today and were fired up.  A lot of Patsies are going to need an ice bath later.

4 - He didn't teach you how to win, he taught you how not to lose. That's nothing to be proud of. You're playing not to lose, Josh. You've got to risk losing. You've got to risk everything. You've got to go to the edge of defeat. That's where you want to be, boy - on the edge of defeat.

5 - Wide Receivers - This might be the very first time I'm not calling out the Wide Receivers in a loss.  These guys were ready to play as well and Kelvin looked like he actually care out there.  Penalty or not, his block was awesome.  His catch over Gilmore put a smile on my face.  And on the botched snap after Hyde punt return, Zay was wide open in the endzone.  These guys were getting separation and making catches.  Best game for them all season.

6 - Defensive Line - I've never claimed to know much about the X's and O's of football.  I know as much as anyone who's watched games for 20+ years and plays Madden.  However, I'm curious about the defensive line alignment.  In the games where we seemed to get the most pressure, we'd spread the lineman out or overload one side.  In this game, even when the Pats ran and empty formation, we kept the guys tight and centered.  As a result, we didn't have a great pass rush today.  Even on 3rd and long, we're only rushing 3 and Hogan burns us for a big play.  Obviously, the lack of pass rush didn't cost us the game, but I'm curious to understand the strategy behind this.

7 - We've earned it - Watching the game, it's infuriating to see the opposing defenses stack the box and press our receivers because they know we can't throw the ball downfield.  On almost every 3rd down play, they dare us to beat them and we failed to live up to it.  It's happened all season long and we've brought it on ourselves.  But when we do it to other teams, they expose us with a quick pass or break contain.  It's beyond frustrating.

8 - Overall Defense - If our defense quit at any part in this game, I would almost understand and give them a pass.  These guys had a great game plan with the bend but don't break, and held the highest powered offense in check for most of the game.  You can't blame them for getting gassed or realizing their efforts are futile with the lack of offensive support  To keep the Pats out of the endzone through 3 quarters isn't a moral victory, it's a straight up victory.  Hats off to McDermott for having this side of the ball ready.  And I promised I wouldn't write a thought about Milano again, but I may have a man crush.  He almost had a game changing pick 6 too.  

9 - Special Teams - Hausch and Hyde aside, this unit is making too many mistakes week in and week out.  I didn't want to go after the coaching, but someone has to own putting these guys out there.  Botches punts, almost fumbles on kick off's.  It's just too scary to watch what should be an entry level area of the game.

10 - Daboll - I'm done.  If the Browns can fire their offensive coordinator today, so can we.  I'm sick of the excuses for this guy.  He's accomplished nothing at any level.  The fact that there are numerous NFL players that single-handedly have more touchdowns than our entire offense combined is a joke.  9 quarters since we've scored an offensive touchdown.  We are absolutely wasting a fantastic defense.  I don't care about the talent level.  There are less talented teams out there doing more.  I watch other games every Sunday and no one is anywhere near as bad as we are.  Daboll gets creative for an opening drive, but then just falls apart as the game goes on.  

Yes, this gets a second paragraph.  Negative plays, the inability to counter a defensive scheme, play to our teams strengths, and overall put together multiple drives is more than enough reason.  Our offensive line isn't terrible.  Our running backs aren't terrible.  Our wide receivers, at least today, weren't terrible.  How many games do we have to keep watching this dumpster fire before we make a change.  I didn't want him hired and I don't take pleasure in calling for a man's job halfway through the season, but there's absolutely zero hope or signs of life.  The man needs to go.

Edited by Virgil
  • Like (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 1

They can trade Shady and trade KB.  I’m fine with it. And I hate having an old immobile QB.  I get he’s the best option at the moment but man it’s awful. The Bills at least hung in there till about 10:45pm.  It wasn’t an absolute massacre thanks to the D.

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Virgil said:

Call me a bad fan, but I was dreading this game all week.  I didn't know what outcome I would see, but I knew it was going to be one of two.  Either we kept in close for a while and ended up getting blown out, or we would have our typical Bills hope game where we find a way to give it away at the end.  Well, it seems that I got a little of both.  I'm not going to look for moral victories here as this is a NFL football team and it's all about the Win's and Losses.

1 - Shady - I've said this a few times now, but I think Ivory is the better runner for this team.  Yes, Shady is faster and shiftier in space, but he's not getting into space much and his lack of decisive attacks to the line is costing him yards.  I'm also noticing more and more that Shady isn't even breaking arm tackles.  Ivory may not have the big runs, but he hits the hole hard with a few solid gains.  He's a more punishing rusher and is better suited for our offense.

2 - 3rd and 8 before Halftime - This is the punt in the snow game against the Colts last year.  I can't understand this play call here.  We aren't going to beat the Pats with field goals and 8 yards isn't insurmountable.  Well, maybe in this offense.  Either way, even with gaining no yards, you're still in field goal range.  These are the kinds of plays that make me want to say ***** the process.  We want to build a culture and turn some heads, play to win.  

3 - The Glorious Hits - I've complained about broken tackles in previous weeks, but not today (minus Stanford's whiff on 3rd and long)  Not only were we tackling well, but we were laying the wood on the Pats.  And yes, it felt really good.  Brady took some shots today, none more beautiful than when he tried to lay a block.  But we were all over the place today and punishing the Pats players.  These guys showed up today and were fired up.  A lot of Patsies are going to need an ice bath later.

4 - He didn't teach you how to win, he taught you how not to lose. That's nothing to be proud of. You're playing not to lose, Josh. You've got to risk losing. You've got to risk everything. You've got to go to the edge of defeat. That's where you want to be, boy - on the edge of defeat.

5 - Wide Receivers - This might be the very first time I'm not calling out the Wide Receivers in a loss.  These guys were ready to play as well and Kelvin looked like he actually care out there.  Penalty or not, his block was awesome.  His catch over Gilmore put a smile on my face.  And on the botched snap after Hyde punt return, Zay was wide open in the endzone.  These guys were getting separation and making catches.  Best game for them all season.

6 - Defensive Line - I've never claimed to know much about the X's and O's of football.  I know as much as anyone who's watched games for 20+ years and plays Madden.  However, I'm curious about the defensive line alignment.  In the games where we seemed to get the most pressure, we'd spread the lineman out or overload one side.  In this game, even when the Pats ran and empty formation, we kept the guys tight and centered.  As a result, we didn't have a great pass rush today.  Even on 3rd and long, we're only rushing 3 and Hogan burns us for a big play.  Obviously, the lack of pass rush didn't cost us the game, but I'm curious to understand the strategy behind this.

7 - We've earned it - Watching the game, it's infuriating to see the opposing defenses stack the box and press our receivers because they know we can't throw the ball downfield.  On almost every 3rd down play, they dare us to beat them and we failed to live up to it.  It's happened all season long and we've brought it on ourselves.  But when we do it to other teams, they expose us with a quick pass or break contain.  It's beyond frustrating.

8 - Overall Defense - If our defense quit at any part in this game, I would almost understand and give them a pass.  These guys had a great game plan with the bend but don't break, and held the highest powered offense in check for most of the game.  You can't blame them for getting gassed or realizing their efforts are futile with the lack of offensive support  To keep the Pats out of the endzone through 3 quarters isn't a moral victory, it's a straight up victory.  Hats off to McDermott for having this side of the ball ready.  And I promised I wouldn't write a thought about Milano again, but I may have a man crush.  He almost had a game changing pick 6 too.  

9 - Special Teams - Hausch and Hyde aside, this unit is making too many mistakes week in and week out.  I didn't want to go after the coaching, but someone has to own putting these guys out there.  Botches punts, almost fumbles on kick off's.  It's just too scary to watch what should be an entry level area of the game.

10 - Daboll - I'm done.  If the Browns can fire their offensive coordinator today, so can we.  I'm sick of the excuses for this guy.  He's accomplished nothing at any level.  The fact that there are numerous NFL players that single-handedly have more touchdowns than our entire offense combined is a joke.  21 quarters since we've scored an offensive touchdown.  21 QUARTERS!  We are absolutely wasting a fantastic defense.  I don't care about the talent level.  There are less talented teams out there doing more.  I watch other games every Sunday and no one is anywhere near as bad as we are.  Daboll gets creative for an opening drive, but then just falls apart as the game goes on.  

Yes, this gets a second paragraph.  Negative plays, the inability to counter a defensive scheme, play to our teams strengths, and overall put together multiple drives is more than enough reason.  Our offensive line isn't terrible.  Our running backs aren't terrible.  Our wide receivers, at least today, weren't terrible.  How many games do we have to keep watching this dumpster fire before we make a change.  I didn't want him hired and I don't take pleasure in calling for a man's job halfway through the season, but there's absolutely zero hope or signs of life.  The man needs to go.

We scored an offensive td vs Houston ...

Re: #6- it's damned if you do and damned if you don't against the Patriots. If you line your ends up wide your LBs need to gap control on running downs which opens up the short quick outside stuff ie Brady's forte in playaction. You line up tight , it at least keeps an non-mobile QB in front of you and allows your MLB to stay home in middle on passing downs, letting the other LBs flow to playside instead of worrying about runs between tackles. Alexander was most effective at DE today because he understands against Brady you need to take the shortest path to the QB to take pressure off your backers behind you...Hughes was going wide which usually works because of his speed, but since Brady's not really a threat out of the pocket you have to close the distance and hope you get there in time. At the very least, you take away the effectiveness of their playaction.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

We scored an offensive td vs Houston ...

That's what I get for blindly listening the the commentators

3 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

You write a 10 section novella and nothing about the QB?

The story of this game and why we lost is that we don't have a QB on the roster, and that's not going to change any time soon.

I mean....yeah?  I just don't expect a lot from the guy.  He's exactly what you'd expect him to be and really doesn't do anything special except throw crucial INT's on the last drive.  If we allow the game to rest on the shoulders of Anderson, we are in way more trouble than I realized.

Edited by Virgil
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Virgil said:

10 - Daboll - I'm done.  If the Browns can fire their offensive coordinator today, so can we.  I'm sick of the excuses for this guy.  He's accomplished nothing at any level.  The fact that there are numerous NFL players that single-handedly have more touchdowns than our entire offense combined is a joke.  21 quarters since we've scored an offensive touchdown.  21 QUARTERS!  We are absolutely wasting a fantastic defense.  I don't care about the talent level.  There are less talented teams out there doing more.  I watch other games every Sunday and no one is anywhere near as bad as we are.  Daboll gets creative for an opening drive, but then just falls apart as the game goes on.  

#10. Thank you for saying that about Daboll. The guy straight up doesn’t have it. He’s never succeeded in the NFL, and now he’s the leader of a historically bad offence

Just now, jahnyc said:

Our players on offense are all generally below or well below average other than Shady and maybe Clay, but does Daboll make things worse?  Hard for me to figure out at this point.

I'll keep saying it.  There are worse NFL offensive rosters and they do more with less.

• Like (+1) 1

YE OLE is with you on the Daboll front. This offense is worse than anything Dick Jauron could’ve put together. The offense isn’t loaded by any stretch of the imagination, but this system is making them worse. And there’s little doubt that if we get more talented playmakers we’ll render them ineffective as well with this nonsense.

This defense is great... but no defense can withstand this. 35 points scored by this offense in the last 5 games! This is the 4th game we’ve scored 6 or less points this year... that’s almost an automatic  0-4 no matter how good your defense is. Daboll has had no success as an OC in this league and this looks like the second really bad hire McDermott has made on that side of the ball. As divided as we have been on Allen at times, there’s almost no chance he’ll have success with this system.

I have to disagree about the wide receivers.  I saw nothing special and the block by KB was horrible.  That kind of play is illegal at all levels of football now and KB should have known it.  All he had to do was get his big body in the way and the huge gain holds up.  I also heard the announcer repeatably talk about the receivers not getting any separation and that the QB was always having to make perfect throws.  Again I ask when was the last time a Buffalo WR or TE broke wide open more than 10 yards down the field? 

Anderson had okay numbers, at least with respect to yardage & completion %, but that just goes to show you how meaningless those numbers are if they don't produce points.  The fact is on 3rd & 10 Anderson will throw a check down 6 yard pass.  He has done this multiple times tonight & last week.  It's actually quite smart because it pumps up the stats.  Throw in his check down yardage against the Pats prevent defense and the numbers don't tell the story of how bad the Bills passing attack is.

Let's not forget that at home against a below average defense the Bills only managed 2 long FG's.  I may be wrong here but Buffalo did not reach the red zone a single time tonight.  With the exception of Shady no other Bills skill offensive skill player starts for any other team in the NFL.