It all comes back to coaching and scheme

Dadonkadonk

1 hour ago, oldmanfan said:

Yes I think they can make quality decisions because they have done so.

Name the teams with as little talent as we have on offense.

Why don't we have talent on offense?  Would this team be better with Hogan, Watkins, Woods and Cordy Glenn on it?

Just now, nucci said:

Why don't we have talent on offense?  Would this team be better with Hogan, Watkins, Woods and Cordy Glenn on it?

Yes.  At least Watkins.  Woods and Hogan had nothing to do with Beane and Glenn was hurt all year and used to get the QB everyone has howled abiutvgir years.

6 minutes ago, gonzo1105 said:

Coaching and Scheme play a part for sure but players make or break coaches not the other way around. You talk about how great Teddy M was and he was good at his job but he had 4 Hall of Famers on that offense in Kelly, Thomas, Reed, and a late career Lofton. He also had very good role players and solid starters as well including Kent Hull.

The Bills offense was LOADED in that era. The Bills haven't had a Quarterback or a well built offense. You can blame that on the General Managers for sure that have been here since that era but I FIND IT VERY HARD TO BELIEVE that not 1 HC or 1 OC has been worth their salt in the last 28 years and dont know how to Coach or Scheme.

Its simply put, we haven't had enough good players here particularly at the most important position in football in the last 28 years.

Perfect example is the Jacksonville Jaguars. Fantastic Defense, probably the most talented Defense currently in the game. They sit at 3-5 because they have Blake Bortles back there. You get the Jags a QB and they are going to the Super Bowl.

...Teddy certainly had the cream of offensive talent to work with and and made sure his offenses exploited the hell out of every ounce of talent that core had.....post Polian, look at the band of misfits, unqualifieds, NON-football personnel in FOOTBALL positions, as well as employing the "over the hill gang" who were supposed to lead us to the promised land because they were "re-tired"......useless recaps......RW panicked when his "inner circle of trust" was collapsed by Donohole......seventeen years of "F Troop" leading the "charge".....sure things are painful now but you have three relatively new neophytes in their respective positions ala McBeane as GM, McDermott as HC and Daboll as OC (Frazier at DC is the crusty 'ol vet).....that trio has a big learning curve despite all of the kicking and screaming to the contrary......so IMO, 2019 is a hugely pivotal and defining year for them with 10 picks and megabucks in the FA cookie jar.....if we are in the SAME position next year at this time, limping/wallowing along, the trio's future certainly has to be called into question............

1 hour ago, oldmanfan said:

Yes I think they can make quality decisions because they have done so.

Name the teams with as little talent as we have on offense.

The Jets. Worse WR group, worse RB group, no TEs...yeah, they're in rough shape. A lot of these teams with young QBs have a lot of building today. 

1 minute ago, oldmanfan said:

Google the 2017-2018 playoff teams and get back to me

It isn’t a playoff team now is it? 

The idea is to get better not worse. 

Your logic is they will burn it down and build it back up, but what you fail to realize is, this even if this coaching staff and FO are good enough to do that  which is questionible, will they have the time see their vision play out?

The last part is critical, see if the results this year were close to last year it would have been possible, that’s why you see other teams making do with the talent they have and  build on that, it gives them more wins and more time to build their team to the final product as they see fit. 

Next year is what they have left, and because of the holes that have to be filled, it won’t be successful either. 

It isn’t predicting, this coaching staff and FO has already made their reasons for being fired. 

Scheme is important but talent tops all.  Outside of Dawkins, McCoy if he's not traded, and Allen if he shows improvement, which of the other 8 starters would you want back?  If thing go as I expect in the off season those other 8 positions on the offensive line and receivers will be filled by players picked up in free agency, trade, or the draft.  If Beane and McDermott fail to make these improvements they might be gone after the 2019 season.

There are NO teams with as overall poor offensive talent as the Bills. It is historically bad. 

17 minutes ago, blacklabel said:

The Jets. Worse WR group, worse RB group, no TEs...yeah, they're in rough shape. A lot of these teams with young QBs have a lot of building today. 

When their WRs are healthy they are better. Anderson and Enuwa would be the #1 and #2 here. Their line is bad but slightly better. Tight End is a push. Yes Shady is better but our #2 is a guy they got rid of. Oh and their QB has played better too. 

9 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

There are NO teams with as overall poor offensive talent as the Bills. It is historically bad. 

When their WRs are healthy they are better. Anderson and Enuwa would be the #1 and #2 here. Their line is bad but slightly better. Tight End is a push. Yes Shady is better but our #2 is a guy they got rid of. Oh and their QB has played better too. 

He hasn't really played much better or different, for that matter. He's experiencing a lot of the same issues Allen is, difficulty/inexperience reading/adjusting to coverages, spotty OL play leading to sacks or bailing on the pocket, inaccurate throws, etc. He's having a rough go of it as well.

And your assessment that the WRs are better and the TEs are a push is off... I'd say the receivers can be a push when Jets have their main guys healthy and Clay is better than Seferian-Jenkins. 

9 minutes ago, blacklabel said:

He hasn't really played much better or different, for that matter. He's experiencing a lot of the same issues Allen is, difficulty/inexperience reading/adjusting to coverages, spotty OL play leading to sacks or bailing on the pocket, inaccurate throws, etc. He's having a rough go of it as well.

And your assessment that the WRs are better and the TEs are a push is off... I'd say the receivers can be a push when Jets have their main guys healthy and Clay is better than Seferian-Jenkins. 

I strongly disagree. Anderson and Enuwa are clearly better than Zay Jones and the corpse of Kelvin Benjamin. As for tight end.... you obviously having been watching any actual Jets games. Seferian-Jenkins left in FA and is now a Jaguar. They have a rookie out of Miami playing Tight End and he is althetic, can catch and already has a couple of Touchdowns. Charles Clay still has some value but is very much on the downslope of his career and has very little production this year to hang his hat on. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, Gigs said:

Google the GM who built that team. I’ll save ya some time old man: Doug Whaley

Who coached them?  

I lovr you guys.  When it's something from that draft that supports badhing McD, he ran the draft.  When it doesn't all of a sudden it was Whaley.

56 minutes ago, Commsvet11 said:

It isn’t a playoff team now is it? 

The idea is to get better not worse. 

Your logic is they will burn it down and build it back up, but what you fail to realize is, this even if this coaching staff and FO are good enough to do that  which is questionible, will they have the time see their vision play out?

The last part is critical, see if the results this year were close to last year it would have been possible, that’s why you see other teams making do with the talent they have and  build on that, it gives them more wins and more time to build their team to the final product as they see fit. 

Next year is what they have left, and because of the holes that have to be filled, it won’t be successful either. 

It isn’t predicting, this coaching staff and FO has already made their reasons for being fired. 

I think Pegulas will give them the time

1 hour ago, Bangarang said:

Everyone? Not exactly.

I cannot name one person here who has not said something to the effect that until they draft a QB nothing else matters.  So they do that and they're still wrong.