FA 2019 - Who Should the Bills Target?

MJS

4 minutes ago, Bill Murray said:

pay him and sign Jadavean Clowney for $16mm a year.  Eff it, why not, we have the $.  Stick him in there pass rushing w Hughes and our secondary will watch the INTs come pouring in.  Nasty.  

All remaining $ on O-Line and Offensive skill players (still like $70mm).  A speed WR, big target TE, and whatever quality OLine you can find.  Then draft more linemen, and a RB in the 2nd - 4th.  If a top pick, choose between best LT or trade down to draft a top G and RT.  If you find a top 5 LT, either move Dockins to his college position of G, or give him a go at RT for bookends.  

Do you think Clowney will actually be available? He seems like a good candidate for a franchise tag.

However, there are a lot of quality pass rushers in free agency. Seems like there will be some talent available on defense in general, but offensive line is what worries me. We have enough money to build a solid oline, but there likely won't be starting caliber linemen available because they will get resigned by their respective teams.

I know we feel good about the cap space next year, but I for one am not excited about what's available. Unless you can somehow get LeVeon Bell or JaDaveon Clooney or DeMarcus Lawrence...all of who, probably get the franchise tag...I think it's just plugging holes. 

That said if I'm plugging holes my wish list might look something like this: 

WR Chris Conley - big upside in my opinion

RT Daryl Williams - Panther who plays tackle

C Mitch Morse - a center

TE Maxx Williams - big young interesting guy

CB Eric Rowe - zone corner who can do a lot of things 

CB Jason Verett - buy low on a guy coming off injury

I also think you take a shot on a receiver like Josh Gordon or Martavis Bryant. You badly need talent there and the free agent class isn't very interesting. Donte Moncrief makes sense as well, but I'd want a guy with number 1 upside. 

2 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

PSA..........Golden Tate is going to put up his 3rd straight 1,000 yard season this year(and 4th in 5 seasons).....he was 7th in the NFL in receptions and 14th in yardage last season....he may not be the guy you want to lead up your ideal WR corps but he's most certainly not a mid-level WR2.

I thought he had an injury in there somewhere, that's a pretty impressive resume he has put up. But overall I think he isn't a number one WR but he would represent a great place to start a rebuild given what is available on the market (Unless there are better players that open up via trade which is possible) he would be a reliable veteran player who can make the job of Josh Allen way easier and take pressure off of high picks at WR or TE. 

1 hour ago, MJS said:

Do you think Clowney will actually be available? He seems like a good candidate for a franchise tag.

However, there are a lot of quality pass rushers in free agency. Seems like there will be some talent available on defense in general, but offensive line is what worries me. We have enough money to build a solid oline, but there likely won't be starting caliber linemen available because they will get resigned by their respective teams.

Even if the Texans don't want to commit to Clowney that much Clowney will command at least 20 million out on the open market. I wouldn't be opposed to adding a pass rusher (Unless Murphy and Shaq take off the rest of the way) but I think spending 20 million on the open market for a top pass rusher isn't allocating resources properly. That 20 million could be spent on getting 2 high end players along the interior OL where high impact players are needed and available. 

2 hours ago, Rc2catch said:

You never know who becomes available for free agency. 

While clay can be serviceable I’m sure someone productive with a little more athleticism will be around to sign without breaking the bank. 

Kroft in cinci seems decent, Baltimore has some young guys becoming available. Or veterans like Jared cook etc etc. 

Im just not sold the guy is a baller. He just seems to always be going through the motions out there. Like he’s not hungry anymore 

Tight ends get massively over paid in free agency. Trey Burton a backup tight end with limited playing time and results got 8 million a year (and is playing well to be fair, it is more so reflective of the market.) From 2015 to 2017 Clay was good for 50 and 500 yards a season on offenses that weren't exactly dynamic. He has been productive and at 4.5 million I am not sure there is a better deal on the market for the Bills.

If the Bills cut Clay and signed another tightend I wouldn't hate the move but considering the limited cap savings on Clay and his decent level of production I think he might just stay on the team and they draft a player to stick behind him for a season.

Overall I don't think the signing was a bust but it certainly didn't have the level of impact it should have. Clay has been average to slightly above average at his position. Which isn't bad but he currently is the 9th highest paid tight end in the league, and it is made even worse to consider that when he signed in 2015 he was the 4th highest paid tight end in the league. In 2016 he was the 7th highest paid tight end in the league and in 2017 he was the 6th. I think for his level of production he just didn't deliver on his salary. 

Edited by billsfan89

29 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

Even if the Texans don't want to commit to Clowney that much Clowney will command at least 20 million out on the open market. I wouldn't be opposed to adding a pass rusher (Unless Murphy and Shaq take off the rest of the way) but I think spending 20 million on the open market for a top pass rusher isn't allocating resources properly. That 20 million could be spent on getting 2 high end players along the interior OL where high impact players are needed and available. 

I agree. I don't think we should go after THE top pass rusher on the market. He is going to get a massive contract. Our pass rush has been much improved this season, so I think you roll with the guys you have and maybe bring in some rotational/depth guys.

However, I would like to see Anthony Barr in a Bills uniform. He would put our linebackers over the top. But most of the money NEEDS and should be spent on the offense.

Here's the important list given their Panther preference and they'll be struggling for cap space next year.  They may make a run at Funchess and Daryl Williams.  In all likelihood though, get ready for Fozzy Whittaker.  

451083354_Screenshot2018-10-26at1_14_02AM.thumb.png.8dfe1dfcf1b7ef273844cfbf1acb77df.png

Just now, MJS said:

I agree. I don't think we should go after THE top pass rusher on the market. He is going to get a massive contract. Our pass rush has been much improved this season, so I think you roll with the guys you have and maybe bring in some rotational/depth guys.

However, I would like to see Anthony Barr in a Bills uniform. He would put our linebackers over the top. But most of the money NEEDS and should be spent on the offense.

I also think if you are going to spend on a pass rusher there are shorter term options out on the market (Brandon Graham from the Eagles is a bit older and probably could be had for much less and a shorter commitment) if you feel like the combo of Shaq, Hughes, and Murphy maybe didn't finish the season all that strong. 

The free agent market is flushed with 28-30 year old pass rusher who you could probably get for more modest deals. I actually think if the Texans don't tag Clowney he will either end up on the Jets or Colts, both teams have a huge need for a pass rusher and they have the cap space. Barr would put the defense over the top and at 27 he could fit the timetable of the team. I don't know what AAV it would take to add him but I certainly wouldn't hate the move. There is plenty of cap space to add one or two defensive free agents and still splurge to find 4 offensive starters. I honestly would like to see EJ Gaines back if the price was right, there is a need at corner and I feel like Gaines was a big reason for the defensive secondary being good last year. 

I would really love to see the Bills grab 2 interior O-Line players and Golden Tate. Guys like Saffold, Paradis, and Tate would instantly make the offense at least a respectable NFL offense. Paradis is playing lights out this year and Saffold is a big reason for Gurley's success in LA. Both guys combined with Dawkins would make 3 out of 5 O-Line positions good. Tate wouldn't fix all the issues at receiver but its a nice place to start to get a high end consistent NFL receiver. You probably would need at least one or two other adds on offense but those 3 (Tate, Saffold, Paradis) even at a cost of 40 million of the teams cap (Which is a high end estimate probably would be closer to 35) would be worth it. 

5 hours ago, Foxx said:

i actually think we are a year too early with our cap room. we are so inept right now that potential free agents that might possibly consider coming here are going to be much more comfortable going to the Jets and/or Colts instead. meaning, we are going to have to overpay to get them to come here instead. if we were a year further along in McCoachs rebuild or if we didn't suck as much as we do currently, then we would be in prime position. unfortunately, we are not.

True

56 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

I also think if you are going to spend on a pass rusher there are shorter term options out on the market (Brandon Graham from the Eagles is a bit older and probably could be had for much less and a shorter commitment) if you feel like the combo of Shaq, Hughes, and Murphy maybe didn't finish the season all that strong. 

The free agent market is flushed with 28-30 year old pass rusher who you could probably get for more modest deals. I actually think if the Texans don't tag Clowney he will either end up on the Jets or Colts, both teams have a huge need for a pass rusher and they have the cap space. Barr would put the defense over the top and at 27 he could fit the timetable of the team. I don't know what AAV it would take to add him but I certainly wouldn't hate the move. There is plenty of cap space to add one or two defensive free agents and still splurge to find 4 offensive starters. I honestly would like to see EJ Gaines back if the price was right, there is a need at corner and I feel like Gaines was a big reason for the defensive secondary being good last year. 

I would really love to see the Bills grab 2 interior O-Line players and Golden Tate. Guys like Saffold, Paradis, and Tate would instantly make the offense at least a respectable NFL offense. Paradis is playing lights out this year and Saffold is a big reason for Gurley's success in LA. Both guys combined with Dawkins would make 3 out of 5 O-Line positions good. Tate wouldn't fix all the issues at receiver but its a nice place to start to get a high end consistent NFL receiver. You probably would need at least one or two other adds on offense but those 3 (Tate, Saffold, Paradis) even at a cost of 40 million of the teams cap (Which is a high end estimate probably would be closer to 35) would be worth it. 

What do you think about John Brown? I like him and think he would be a good addition if he is not resigned. I also think Chris Hogan would be good to bring back if the Pats don't resign him.

Tate has had locker room issues in the past. Do you think he would pass the culture test of McDermott?

If Saffold and Paradis are playing lights out, why would they not be resigned by their respective teams?

I'd like to have Ryan Fitzpatrick come back to Buffalo for a few years and given a chance to compete. Ryan Khalil is a little long in the tooth but I would absolutely love him in the middle of our OL. Give me Tavon Austin, isn't his fault he got overpaid, still a good player, Bills should make him a strong offer, we will have to overpay any free agent we sign but these are the guys I like.

15 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

I like to concentrate on strengths of players rather then the names...the names too often are attached the dollar signs

Give me a solid LT.....move Dawkins to LG (solving that spot).....bring in a free agent center......move let Teller and a Draft pick duke it out over RG......Mills can stay unless beat out by somebody which seems to never happen.   That gives me 2 OG's and hopefully a center that can actually pull and get out and block on screens.

Give me Golden Tate......and the rest of the WR help should come via the draft...Zay Jones stay as the number 3

With Shady being traded...give me TJ Yeldon....keep Ivory and Marcus Murphy

Draft a pass rusher.....draft another QB.......with the latter picks in the draft draft best player available

Give me Blount- pound it with him and Ivory- grab a RB in the draft

55 minutes ago, NewDayBills said:

How about LeVeon Bell? Sign him to a front loaded contract we can get out of in 3-4 years. If we're going to overpay, may as well overpay on the best RB in the NFL.

As much as I love Bell and what he brings to the table, in todays NFL I dont know if it is wise to overpay for a back that will be 28. I like your thought process- I am a fan of grabbing a young back in the draft rd 3-5. 

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, MJS said:

I normally wouldn't, but next off-season is a big anomally. We have boat loads of cap space and a lot of draft picks.

I am very skeptical that any starting caliber olinemen will be available. Oline play is just too bad around the league for there to be good players NOT resigned by their teams.

I'm afraid we'll have to build the oline through the draft, which may take a long time.

I had the same thought with quality WRs. I figure there are more options out there for OLine. But I can certainly see your scenario.

7 hours ago, MJS said:

What do you think about John Brown? I like him and think he would be a good addition if he is not resigned. I also think Chris Hogan would be good to bring back if the Pats don't resign him.

Tate has had locker room issues in the past. Do you think he would pass the culture test of McDermott?

If Saffold and Paradis are playing lights out, why would they not be resigned by their respective teams?

John Brown in my opinion is a solid number 3 WR but more so a complementary piece to a WR unit, if he is your number 3 WR you are in a good spot. I wouldn't hesitate to sign him esp if Zay doesn't finish the season strong but Tate to me is a difference maker as a high end WR 2. Tate has been a model citizen and a pretty beloved teammate in Detroit, so I don't think there are any character issues there. As far as the interior OL players Saffold is a bit older and the Rams are up against the cap so it makes sense that he could hit the market. Paradis is interesting as the Broncos while not up against the cap aren't in a great cap position either. So 50/50 as to wither or not he will be franchise tagged or not. 

I would love to see the Bills go hard after Tate, Paradis, and Saffold as a base to rebuild the offense. After those 3 big time starting pieces are added you can then add complementary pieces like Brown but considering how devoid of talent the offense is and just how much development Allen needs the team needs to in my mind add at least 3-4 impact starters to the offense via free agency and then add at least 2 more via the draft. I am not sure if this is how McBeane will go about it (I do expect one major impact addition along the interior O-Line and 1-2 vet WR's added but 2 big time free agents like Paradis and Saffold is wishful thinking.)

I hope that McBeane isn't going to use "Build Through the Draft" as an excuse for a lackluster free agency period. I am not saying that the team has to spend all 94-110 million (110 is the max the team can have if they cut Shady and several other contracts that aren't productive players) but they need to infuse the offense with a lot of talent, much more talent then spending one drafts worth of players on. You have to add multiple starters to the offense and you might need to fill a need on defense if the right talent falls at the right price.  

17 hours ago, Foxx said:

i actually think we are a year too early with our cap room. we are so inept right now that potential free agents that might possibly consider coming here are going to be much more comfortable going to the Jets and/or Colts instead. meaning, we are going to have to overpay to get them to come here instead. if we were a year further along in McCoachs rebuild or if we didn't suck as much as we do currently, then we would be in prime position. unfortunately, we are not.

Which is okay. Spend some. Save some. It rolls over