Jon Ledyard on the young QBs (Mahomes, Watson, Allen, et.al)

Reed83HOF

https://thedraftnetwork.com/2018/10/25/the-trials-and-tribulations-of-young-quarterbacks/

Offensive coaching/scheme – 4

I’ve watched a lot of the Bills passing game, and been pretty impressed with Brian Daboll’s offense so far. He’s scheming guys open and giving Allen easy reads, while also utilizing plenty of play action concepts, the quarterback’s biggest schematic strength in college. Bills’ analysts I trust have concerns with the run game, but I think Daboll has been good for Allen in his initial half-season in Buffalo.

Summary (16/25)

Josh Allen was playing at a pretty low level this season before his injury, some of which can be attributed to his supporting cast. Although he’s making matters worse, his protection hasn’t been great and his receiving group has been worse, although Daboll’s scheme is helping alleviate some of those concerns by scheming guys open and making things simple for Allen.

The Bills have some things in place that will help make this a stable spot for Allen, now they just need to enhance the level of talent around him on the field and hope he can look more pro-ready by year three.

Final Thoughts

After grading all of the first/second-year starting quarterback situations around the NFL, here’s how they stacked up.

Mahomes – 21/25

Trubisky – 21/25

Allen – 16/25

Watson – 15/25

Darnold – 15/25

Mayfield – 12/25

Rosen – 8/25

• Like (+1) 4

3 minutes ago, SoTier said:

He thinks that Allen is in a better situation than Watson, Darnold, and Mayfield, all of whom have better protection, receivers and/or running games to support them?  Seriously? 

Hard to trust a man who doesn't know you should never use the 'although' clause twice in one sentence:

Although he’s making matters worse, his protection hasn’t been great and his receiving group has been worse, although Daboll’s scheme is helping alleviate some of those concerns by scheming guys open and making things simple for Allen.

Just now, fridge said:

Genuinely hysterical.  To suggest that Watson has a worse situation in Houston... with one of the top 3 WRs in the NFL. I don't even... just wow.

Truly, utterly hilarious. The guy is so tilted he's sideways.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, SoTier said:

He thinks that Allen is in a better situation than Watson, Darnold, and Mayfield, all of whom have better protection, receivers and/or running games to support them?  Seriously? 

You didn't read the article. He rated the Bills receiving corps/weapons as the worst. 

In my opinion, these five factors should be prioritized in this order when evaluating the landing spot for a young quarterback. If the team he ends up on isn’t strong in at least a couple of these five areas, the odds of him succeeding are slim to none.

1. Offensive coaching/scheme
2. Offensive line/pass protection
3. Head coach/culture
4. Receivers/weapons
5. Defense
  • Like (+1) 1

Watson most certainly does not have better protection, as we saw literally a few weeks ago when we played against him. It's not Arizona levels of bad, but their OLine is absolutely horrific. The Bills OLine is bad too, but not on that level.

Ledyard seems to be very high on Daboll, which is really what pushes Allen's situation up ahead of all of these guys.

Edited by DCOrange

5 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

Watson most certainly does not have better protection, as we saw literally a few weeks ago when we played against him. It's not Arizona levels of bad, but their OLine is absolutely horrific. The Bills OLine is bad too, but not on that level.

Ledyard seems to be very high on Daboll, which is really what pushes Allen's situation up ahead of all of these guys.

Yes, he does appear to be enamored of the OC overseeing what people have told me is the worst offense in NFL history. Gives him a 4, actually.

22 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

https://thedraftnetwork.com/2018/10/25/the-trials-and-tribulations-of-young-quarterbacks/

Offensive coaching/scheme – 4

I’ve watched a lot of the Bills passing game, and been pretty impressed with Brian Daboll’s offense so far. He’s scheming guys open and giving Allen easy reads, while also utilizing plenty of play action concepts, the quarterback’s biggest schematic strength in college. Bills’ analysts I trust have concerns with the run game, but I think Daboll has been good for Allen in his initial half-season in Buffalo.

Summary (16/25)

Josh Allen was playing at a pretty low level this season before his injury, some of which can be attributed to his supporting cast. Although he’s making matters worse, his protection hasn’t been great and his receiving group has been worse, although Daboll’s scheme is helping alleviate some of those concerns by scheming guys open and making things simple for Allen.

The Bills have some things in place that will help make this a stable spot for Allen, now they just need to enhance the level of talent around him on the field and hope he can look more pro-ready by year three.

Final Thoughts

After grading all of the first/second-year starting quarterback situations around the NFL, here’s how they stacked up.

Mahomes – 21/25

Trubisky – 21/25

Allen – 16/25

Watson – 15/25

Darnold – 15/25

Mayfield – 12/25

Rosen – 8/25

So if I'm reading this right, Allen--who is surrounded by a defensive HC, an OC who's been awful in every NFL stop, and the worst offensive personnel in the NFL--is somehow in a better situation than Watson?  As in Deshaun Watson?  The guy that's throwing to DeAndre Hopkins and Will Fuller? The guy with Bill O'Brien calling plays?

He's in a better situation than Mayfield?  Who has Taylor to learn from and guys like Jarvis Landry, David Njoku, and Duke Johnson to throw to?

Whatever.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Not saying that I agree with him, but I think the grading is based on the quality/expected longevity of the coaching staff. The "situation" may also imply plans beyond 2018.

He seems to be saying that Dabol is a quality OC and that the front office/coaching staff have likely stability/continuity going forward. Despite fans who are understandably unhappy with the 2-5 start and performance of the team, I believe that ownership and the front office expected the team to struggle in 2018 and that McB are all on steady footing going into 2019. The team also understands that Allen is raw and are willing to be patient with him. The ineptitude at the receiver position is obvious and will likely be improved upon next season.

It is hard to argue that Rosen is not in an even worse situation than Allen. For heaven''s sake, they just fired their OC a few days ago. The Cardinals have more quality receiving targets, but their OL is even worse than ours, and the defense is not likely to help keep the Cardinals in close games.

Cleveland has more talent surrounding Mayfield, but the coaching situation is in flux. It is hard to imagine Hue and Haley staying out of each other's way the entire season.

Not sure how he can suggest that Darnold is in a worse situation given the supporting cast, coaching -- and even having a dedicated QB mentor on hand. I guess they are going back to the job security of Todd Bowles, which was rumored to be on shaky ground in the pre-season.

5 minutes ago, blacklabel said:

Maybe he sees Allen's situation as advantageous due to them holding 10 picks and a nice chunk of change for free agents. Perhaps he feels the situation is so poopy it can only get better from here.

Stop with the 10 picks.  All the extra picks are day 3.  And there will probably be zero comp picks.  It’s an average (or perhaps very slightly above) draft situation.  Nothing like what we had last year, what the Raiders have this year, or what Cleveland has had seemingly forever.

Edited by mannc
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, mannc said:

Stop with the 10 picks.  All the extra picks are day 3.  And there will probably be zero comp picks.  It’s an average (or perhaps very slightly above) draft situation.  Nothing like what we had last year, what the Raiders have this year, or what Cleveland has had seemingly forever.

So now 10 does not equal 10.   You're on a roll today.

9 minutes ago, mannc said:

You stop, fella. I was just throwing out an idea as to why this dude believes Allen is in a good situation and maybe, just maybe, he believes the future could be bright given the fact that they should be pretty busy in the 2019 off-season.

And I dunno what team you've been following but over the past two drafts, this regime has shown a propensity for trading around so of these 10 picks which you find so craptastic, I'd keep in mind that they probably plan to flip some picks and possibly some players to move around the board. 

53 minutes ago, blacklabel said:

Maybe he sees Allen's situation as advantageous due to them holding 10 picks and a nice chunk of change for free agents. Perhaps he feels the situation is so poopy it can only get better from here.

No, he's saying it's good right now.

1 hour ago, thebandit27 said:

So if I'm reading this right, Allen--who is surrounded by a defensive HC, an OC who's been awful in every NFL stop, and the worst offensive personnel in the NFL--is somehow in a better situation than Watson?  As in Deshaun Watson?  The guy that's throwing to DeAndre Hopkins and Will Fuller? The guy with Bill O'Brien calling plays?

He's in a better situation than Mayfield?  Who has Taylor to learn from and guys like Jarvis Landry, David Njoku, and Duke Johnson to throw to?

Whatever.

Frankly I am suprised he is throwing this much sun at Josh Allen at all given his opinions of him before and after draft