NFL worried about Chargers viability in LA

Reed83HOF

1 hour ago, Wyo_Bills Fan said:

Before the Chargers moved, San Diego residents voted down a Hotel Tax which would have went up like three percentage points and would have paid for the city's contribution to the stadium and then some.  The only tax San Diego residents would have paid is if they stayed in a hotel themselves. 

Approximately 15 plus years ago, the Chargers offered to pay for the entire new stadium themselves if the city would grant them the land Qualcomm sits on.  The city council voted that down.

Sad situation.

That is sad 

I live in LA.  It's the melting pot of the US.  YOu cannot move a team here and have it be successful.  The only way a team would be successful is if there was an expansion club where all LA residents could call their team.

I am a Bills fan but if there was a real LA team i would be inclined to watch and root for them if the Bills weren't playing.

2 hours ago, sullim4 said:

Move them back to San Diego and have private investors build a stadium or completely gut and renovate Qualcomm.  Why is this so hard to figure out?

Because Spanos thinks the fine people of San Diego should pay for the new stadium. The fine people of San Diego thinks Spanos should pay for the new stadium. I agree with the fine people of San Diego. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, cba fan said:

San Antonio St Louis Portland Oakland...plenty of options. Even SD after they approve and start building a stadium.

SD completely screwed the deal by turning them down time after time for deals that essentillay cost the taxpayers ZERO. Just like Cleveland did to Modells Browns.(although Modell was just asking for some support but not to the mega-level the city gave Indians and Cavs.)

with two bye weeks, larger game day rosters, no team playing on short rest IE team with bye week before are only teams eligible for thurs night games etc etc.....a ban on players playing every snap every week etc etc...….. and only 1 or 2 preseason games. YES this would address the safety issue. It can be done and could include two expansion teams to help placate the NFLPA as even more jobs are then created along with the bigger rosters.

San Antonio makes perfect sense. Having lived there for a few years I was shocked there was no major sports team other than NBA. San Antonio supports the Spurs very well. I have no doubt they would support an NFL franchise. Logistically, the highway system is amazing. It is a city of 1.5 million and you can travel from any point of the city to another in 30 minutes. Go just 30 minutes outside the city center and there is a ton of open land to build a stadium as well. Also would be easy to attract free agents with how beautiful of a city it is and the warm weather. 

• Like (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, yungmack said:

This is exactly the opposite of the truth. For decades, the Rams were always among the attendance leaders. They began to lose their mojo when Frontiere took over the team. In spite of Al Davis's bizarre behavior and attempts to extract ever more money out of the area, the Raiders were -- and remain -- wildly popular in the area. Sc and UCLA have rabid followings and pull in large crowds when the teams are good. High school football is huge throughout the area. I don't know why people keep making these knuckleheaded statements. It's right up there with "Trump's a fantastic businessman." In other words, it's a belief that flies in the face of facts, history, reality.

You're absolutely right, and I apologize for my misguided generalization. To amend my prior, they still couldn't care less for having the Chargers there. While geo-location does matter, they don't care for this team.

That franchise is a leading contender to end up in London one day.

I think that's still some years out, but it's coming, unfortunately.

The owners will f-ing love it.  

Why make a few hundred million a year when you can make a billion a year with a global sport?

• Haha (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, 4_kidd_4 said:

Nothing sad whatsoever about telling a tax-free league of billionaires to pay for everything themselves.

They could have stayed in SD and built their own stadium if the city would have given them the land was what the poster said. Now SD is stuck with a giant albatross that will sit like the useless hulking relic it is or spend massive amounts of money to tear it down. I doubt anyone buys it and renovates it so it is sad that they couldn’t have agreed on a realistic long term solution. In this case the billionaire was going to spend his money. 

I am not for the billionaires and their tax exemptions but sometimes you have to see the big picture and realize the powers that be and there isn’t much you can do about it. 

Spanos is still going to be a billionaire no matter where the team plays. Pegs and company are going to get theirs. If you are so opposed to the big boys club get rid of your gear and turn the game off. 

57 minutes ago, 4_kidd_4 said:

I’m pulling for the entire league to just fold.

Then go back to 1920’s style, field regional teams and make up your own schedule. Then the “Staley Swindle” all over again!

Leather helmets & no forward pass ???

2 hours ago, vorpma said:

I attended a game at the LA Coliseum in 1984 watching the Rams play the Falcons; Eric Dickerson in his prime yet the fans in attendance acted bored with many empty seats. Too much competition for the entertainment dollar, the Chargers should have stayed in San Diego, they had a strong and loyal fan base with lots of discretionary income.

It had 100,000 seats. Most stadiums now are 60 or so.

The Chargers and the NFL made a ridiculously stupid decision trying to place the Chargers in LA. I don't know why, but they thought a substantial if not large number of Charger fans in SD would remain loyal to them because of the proximity of the cities, and the 1-2 hour drive for a lot of them wouldn't be bad. But it was the same concept as moving the Bills to Toronto and they should have known that. Very few Buffalo fans would have remained faithful to the Bills if they were the Toronto Bills. I don't know one person who would have been, although I am sure they exist.

In fact, it's easy to imagine the Chargers would be hated more than liked if they moved to LA. Corporations and local companies will buy up enough tickets in a new stadium but thinking SD fans would remain Charger fans when they were betrayed and there is a lot of jealousy/rivalry with LA was dumb.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

The 18 game schedule waters the product down. 

The players don't want it and I don't blame them. 

Longer season, pushes the draft later and later. 

-other leagues played 18 game seasons.

-game situation would be mitigated with my 2 byes etc etc I noted earlier.

-draft being later is absolutely no factor as season ends only one week later so no factor. draft stays on week it is.

season now runs Sept 9 to Dec 30 and Super Bowl is 2-3-19 = 22 weeks

I start 18 game season w 2 byes Labor Day weekend like it did for decades Sept 2. Skip the two week layoff before Super Bowl. So early start and no break only adds one week to end of when season ends now. Season ends only one calender week later on Feb 10.

my season runs Sept 2 to Feb 10. 

Edited by cba fan

2 hours ago, apuszczalowski said:

Too many logistical issues with London. Going to be near impossible to sign FAs, too much travel for games, having a game played their once in a while will get crowds, but a team would fail miserably if permanently located there.

If they expand out of the US, Canada and Mexico would be the only logical choices.

It would not be impossible to sign FAs. That is nonsense. London is a fantastic city and I am certain NFL players would have no issue moving here. There is no language barrier either. As for the travel.... I mean NFL teams are used to getting on a plane every week to travel for games. I don't think that is insurmountable at all. It is a long way from the west coast of the US to London. So what? 

The one issue that I can see is the third of your points.... would people watch. We sold out 4 games last year and they were hardly stellar match ups on paper. We sold the 85,000 seats for a game this Sunday (again hardly elite teams) in 24 hours. There is zero doubt in my mind that initially we would sell 8 regular season home games without issue. We could have sold the 3 games this year three times over. London is more ready from that respect than LA has been or than Jacksonville was when awarded a franchise. The fanbase is here. The doubt I have is how long that is sustainable if the team starts to struggle. Because that fan base is made up of people who already have other teams and if the London Jags or the London Chargers sucked would people revert to those old allegiances? That is the biggest doubt I have about the viability of London. 

The Jags have the best chance of making it stick because they have already made progress in developing a fan base but I do think whether a fan base is sustainable is a fair thing to wonder. 

I like 18 games with two fewer pre-season games. Play everyone in conference and a second within your division opponents. The top eight go thru to the playoffs and nobody gets a playoff bye. 

This should have the cream at the top and no pretenders like when the Titans made it to the SB. They were in a an extremely watered down division. Cleveland was expansion and the Bungles were.....the Bungles. There’s 4 wins right there. Having an extra team in the division negated an AFC game and an NFC game for each club. 

By some metric I don’t remember the Bills had a tougher schedule and shouldn’t have been playing on the road.

yeah that’s it.....

1 hour ago, iinii said:

They could have stayed in SD and built their own stadium if the city would have giventhem the land was what the poster said. Now SD is stuck with a giant albatross that will sit like the useless hulking relic it is or spend massive amounts of money to tear it down. I doubt anyone buys it and renovates it so it is sad that they couldn’t have agreed on a realistic long term solution. In this case the billionaire was going to spend his money. 

I am not for the billionaires and their tax exemptions but sometimes you have to see the big picture and realize the powers that be and there isn’t much you can do about it. 

Spanos is still going to be a billionaire no matter where the team plays. Pegs and company are going to get theirs. If you are so opposed to the big boys club get rid of your gear and turn the game off.

Bolded A; They can certainly afford to buy the land. Just another excuse to put the blame on a city/region.

Bolded B; I’m pretty close to it. Only watch the Bills. No cable/ESPN in my house. Usually buy a new Bills hat and/or tee for every season, cut that out about 3 years ago. Was gonna bail on seasons this year (16year STH), but re-upped at the last minute because of the group I go with.  I regret my renewal, and this will definitely be my last season.

Quite frankly, my interest in the league has waned exponentially over the last 5 years or so. I’m finally at the point of just don’t care. Also, not really a huge fan of Pegula, and the hero worship of him around here. Want a new barn Terry? Drill a well.

Things changed when Ralph passed, and I’m obviously not a fan of, as you put it, “The Big Boys Club”.