Democratic 2020 Presidential Primary Thread

snafu

20 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

It's bidness as usual.  They're playing hardball.

Past similar cases i can think of include the "Dean Scream" and Thomas Eagleton and Biden's plagiarism. I still wonder if Gary Hart was set up.

Ted Kennedy was ruined in 1980 when he was asked why he wanted to be the President and he didn't have anything close to an answer at the ready.

or Papa Romney's brainwashing on the other side...

Edited by row_33

• Replies 10.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

24 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

It's bidness as usual.  They're playing hardball.

Past similar cases i can think of include the "Dean Scream" and Thomas Eagleton and Biden's plagiarism. I still wonder if Gary Hart was set up.

It IS business as usual.  It is always sleazy. Another example is whomever recorded Mitt Romney's 48% comment and sent it to Obama's people. Another one was GW Bush's smear against McCain in South Carolina.  I think project veritas broke a story in 2016 about paid agitators sent in by Democrats to Trump rallies to cause fights and violence.  It seems that business as usual is okay for every candidate in history -- except one.

42 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

I agree with you about the Biden stuff.  It's a really bad look and incredibly stupid... especially the way the liberal media is slamming him for his "inappropriate" jokes at that speaking event the day after the little twitter apology/video he released.

Biden's "apology" was worse for him than the attack.  It made him seem woefully out of touch and I think it is the real nail in his coffin.  Someone wants/wanted him out of the way.  He' would steamroll in the debates.

Edited by snafu
  • Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, snafu said:

Biden's "apology" was worse for him than the attack.  It made him seem woefully out of touch and I think it is the real nail in his coffin.  Someone wants/wanted him out of the way.  He' would steamroll in the debates.

Eh, I still think he gets into the race.  He's still indicating pretty strongly he's going to.  And once he gets in and this thing really gets rolling, this becomes more background noise than anything else, unless more serious/substantial accusations (ala Trump in 2016) come out.

And yeah, I think he'd be awesome in the debates, but I think Harris and especially Buttiguieg would give him a real run for his money.

Obama's continued popularity definitely gives Biden an advantage, too.

Edited by transplantbillsfan

10 minutes ago, LABillzFan said:

This surprises me. Biden and Bernie ahead of Kamala in CA?

Biden is leading in almost every poll. If he (or Kerry...I'll keep teasing that name) gets in, he's the one of the only people who could give Bernie a run for the prize because he knows how to run a national campaign and he could get money. The rest have almost no chance, with Beto a small shot because he could win Texas on Super Tuesday. 

This D primary for all the names, will be over in a flash because none of them can blow out Super Tuesday. Bernie will win Iowa (or come close enough), NH, and then 4 or 5 more states on Super Tuesday, which now includes CA where the looney left will carry him, and the D primary will be done in a month.

If Biden gets in and has the energy to run, as well as some big $$ donors, he's the only guy who could mount a comparable campaign to Sanders. 

6 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Eh, I still think he gets into the race.  He's still indicating pretty strongly he's going to.  And once he gets in and this thing really gets rolling, this becomes more background noise than anything else, unless more serious/substantial accusations (ala Trump in 2016) come out.

And yeah, I think he'd be awesome in the debates, but I think Harris and especially Buttiguieg would give him a real run for his money.

Obama's continued popularity definitely gives Biden an advantage, too.

It'll be interesting to see if any of the Dem candidates and their media counterparts will campaign/communicate a set of priorities based on the few large and actual responsibilities of the Federal government.   Will they offer any sound policy positions on the big important things supported by real world math?

3 minutes ago, keepthefaith said:

It'll be interesting to see if any of the Dem candidates and their media counterparts will campaign/communicate a set of priorities based on the few large and actual responsibilities of the Federal government.   Will they offer any sound policy positions on the big important things supported by real world math?

What is "real world math" and is it something a political party can disregard the way "real world science" is today?

4 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

What is "real world math" and is it something a political party can disregard the way "real world science" is today?

What is real world math?  The kind of math that says trying a major economic shift for environmental concerns to the tune of 100 trillion dollars in approximately a decade will not work without extreme suffering for many.

2 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

What is real world math?  The kind of math that says trying a major economic shift for environmental concerns to the tune of 100 trillion dollars in approximately a decade will not work without extreme suffering for many.

What is the extreme suffering you think will occur and is it worse than the consequences of what's happening now with a bunch of Climate Deniers in the White House?

7 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

So I'm guessing you'd really hate it if a guy like Inslee became President?

I really don't think he has a chance, so he's kind of an afterthought to me because I like to focus on who I think could win, but if something changed and Inslee could win, he has the right idea.

1 hour ago, transplantbillsfan said:

I like Buttiguieg as a candidate the best personally, but I have serious doubts our country is ready to elect a homosexual, so if he wins the primary, I'll have very mixed feelings.

I like Harris probably the most as I'd be comfortable with her in the general election.

I don't want Bernie, but I do like Biden and think this negative coverage of Biden from the left is a sickening representation of a movement going too far.

Beto is all flair and enthusiasm, but not getting enough substance from him, yet, so it'll be interesting once he dives into that.

I really think it'll be one of those 5 nominated... I don't even know why a guy like Swalwell got into the race.  

But I'd vote any of these democractic candidates over 45.

You'd vote for Kamala ***** Harris? Good God man.

• Like (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, LABillzFan said:

This surprises me. Biden and Bernie ahead of Kamala in CA?

I would venture a lot of people are voting on who they think can beat Trump instead of their favorite candidate.  Even California Dems can see she's not the right candidate.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Joe in Winslow said:

You'd vote for Kamala ***** Harris? Good God man.

You have to be mentally ill to vote for any of those hacks.

Tulsi Gabbard is the only Dem with a brain, but she won't get anywhere near the nomination.

Just now, Doc Brown said:

I would venture a lot of people are voting on who they think can beat Trump instead of their favorite candidate.  Even California Dems can see she's not the right candidate.

Well except for transplant. He likes Willie Brown's bobber.

10 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Well except for transplant. He likes Willie Brown's bobber.

Did you notice I like Buttiguieg more than Harris?

Also that I said I think Biden probably has the best shot, who I also like?

Pay attention.  Good God man.

7 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Let's see if I can predict why you think so:

"He's racist, sexist, homophobic, and a bully."

Am I close? :lol:

He's all of those things, but I don't think that's why he's awful as a President. He's awful as a President because of policy and the inability to actually keep many of his grand campaign promises (some of which were also awful) because of his own ineptitude and (often) pettiness.

Hell, the only thing the guy has actually "accomplished" thus far is his "massive tax cut" that most middle-class Americans are currently discovering didn't actually help them at all.... 

Thanks Republicans for my $2700 negative swing in my federal returns and advertising it as the biggest tax cut in history and a boon for the middle-class :doh:

Edited by transplantbillsfan
  • Sad 1

18 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

What is the extreme suffering you think will occur and is it worse than the consequences of what's happening now with a bunch of Climate Deniers in the White House?

Real world math is that the U.S. is the nation that has most reduced carbon emissions over the past 10 years.  Real world math is that if we do nothing other than let current on the books regulations continue, the U.S. will continue to reduce those emissions.  Real world math is that if there is a concern over carbon emissions, the nations that are not reducing emissions should be more pressured to do so. 

I've yet to hear a Dem in this political cycle refer to the facts and actual numbers on this topic.  Instead they would have us believe (along with their media partners) that the U.S. is a highly irresponsible polluter with upward spiraling emissions and that we must act on our own in dire fashion to avoid catastrophic damage to the entire planet and all of mankind.

The simple fact is we are already doing our part and improving year over year in spite of a growing population.  Can we do a even better, sure.  Should we, within reason?  Sure.  Are there CO2 recycling technologies being developed that are both economical and effective?  Yes.  Do we ever hear about that without having to dig?  No.  

Now the White House and Republicans suck at delivering any cogent response to "The Green New Deal" or other unsubstantiated claims of doom. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Did you notice I like Buttiguieg more than Harris?

Also that I said I think Biden probably has the best shot, who I also like?

Pay attention.  Good God man.

He's all of those things, but I don't think that's why he's awful as a President. He's awful as a President because of policy and the inability to actually keep many of his grand campaign promises (some of which were also awful) because of his own ineptitude and (often) pettiness.

Hell, the only thing the guy has actually "accomplished" thus far is his "massive tax cut" that most middle-class Americans are currently discovering didn't actually help them at all.... 

Thanks Republicans for my $2700 negative swing in my federal returns and advertising it as the biggest tax cut in history and a boon for the middle-class :doh:

You're obviously just not paying attention. He's done quite a bit of productive work, especially in foreign policy. This while the Democratic party was in the middle of a coup attempt. 

Time for payback on your heroes.