Bills 13 Titans 12 Postgame Thread

25 minutes ago, RunTheBall said:

...the asshats are coming out of the woodwork to complain. Allen's accuracy was awful today...

So when someone else criticizes Allen for his play, they are complaining asshats. Yet you did it in the next breath. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Turron Davenport
Two early mistakes cost the Titans dearly as Buffalo beat Tennessee at its own game, grinding out a victory with ball control.

Mike Rodak
The Bills took the ball out of their rookie quarterback's hands and put it into LeSean McCoy's; then they beat the Titans at the line of scrimmage.

The formula the Bills used Sunday isn't sustainable for winning a lot of football games.

Truth. Today's win, much like the Vikings win, were similar to many of the Bills' early season wins last year. They lived and died off of the defense creating turnovers. It's exciting to watch, but most of us understood that it just isn't a sustainable recipe for success. But for the time being, it may be the best recipe while Allen gains valuable experience and the offense adds weapons after this year. 

1 hour ago, Figster said:

Allen was just sacked 18 times in the first 4 games which dictates a more conservative approach IMO.  As a rookie starter Allen is 2 -2 defeating 2 playoff caliber football teams. Learning and winning.

Daboll deserved a game ball today for giving Allen the perfect play calling/game plan after getting his butt kicked last week in my opinion.

While I agree with part of that last sentence with the game ball. There was a time at the start of the second half where Daboll started calling #17's number every play, and after that debacle started calling runs again. So, it wasn't perfect.

To be honest, I don't even know it was all Daboll as McD stated that this "run the ball game plan" was "the" game plan for the day and he might have broken a foot off when things started to go the other way...

All I know is I'm very happy :P that Daboll called it this way to, allow Shady, Ivory to carry the offense, to protect that rookie QB, to help the defense stay off the field, to help the offensive line so they don't look so horrid, to win the game!  

• Like (+1) 2

NFL Week 5 Grades: Bengals and Browns earn 'A's, Broncos fail miserably in loss to Jets

Buffalo 13-12 over Tennessee

TEN.png Titans: C

The Titans have had some ugly offensive performances this season, but this one was definitely the worst. Tennessee didn't even hit 225 total yards (221) plus they turned the ball over three times. This game marks only the fifth time in Marcus Mariota's career that the team didn't hit 225 total yards. Not surprisingly, the Titans are 0-5 in those games. If the Titans could protect the football, they might have won. Taywan Taylor's first-quarter fumble led to a Bills touchdown. Dion Lewis followed that up with a lost fumble in the third quarter that led to a Buffalo field goal.

BUF.png Bills: B+

The Bills offense isn't flashy, but it doesn't need to be when Buffalo's defense played like it did. Buffalo's defense came up with two huge fumble recoveries, which the offense was able to turn into 10 points. The Bills defense was so rock solid in this game that the Titans got inside of Buffalo's 20-yard line only once the entire game. Offensively, Josh Allen put up some ugly numbers (10 of 19, 82 yards) but he came through in the clutch. Not only did he score the Bills' only touchdown of the game on a 14-yard run, but he drove Buffalo straight down the field for Steven Hauschka's  game-winning field goal in the fourth quarter. Coach Sean McDermott also deserves some credit for finally embracing risk. The Bills went for it on fourth down three times and converted two of them. 

1 hour ago, Figster said:

Allen was just sacked 18 times in the first 4 games which dictates a more conservative approach IMO.  As a rookie starter Allen is 2 -2 defeating 2 playoff caliber football teams. Learning and winning.

Daboll deserved a game ball today for giving Allen the perfect play calling/game plan after getting his butt kicked last week in my opinion.

Daboll called a perfect game today?

Wow.

With all due respect, I strongly and stridently disagree.

Joe B: 7 observations from Buffalo Bills vs. Tennessee Titans (10/7/18)

josh_1538961941359_99744937_ver1.0_640_4

(WKBW) - One week ago, the Buffalo Bills looked lost at sea on offense after a shutout loss to the Green Bay Packers. On Sunday, after they returned home from a two-game road trip, the Bills did just enough to eek out a 13-12 victory over the Tennessee Titans.

It wasn't pretty by any means and won't be one that gets remembered even a year from now, but it's one that will be important to the Bills as a marker of their progress in a season centered around just that. Now, the Bills have a 2-3 record with the hopes of evening things out next weekend -- which would be an especially significant accomplishment given their performance in three of the first four weeks.

How did the Bills defeat the favored Titans on Sunday? Seven observations from the Bills' win:

1) The defensive interior dominates
2) What's going on with Josh Allen?
3) Finally, full Milano
4) Kelvin Benjamin goes silent once again
5) The Tre'Davious White treatment continues to impress
6) Bills can't make up their minds at cornerback
7) Jordan Phillips fits right in

Bills MVP: The defensive tackles
- Lotulelei, Williams, Phillips, and Phillips all played a pivotal role in keeping the Titans out of a flow on offense and helped contribute to the victory.

Bills LVP: WR Andre Holmes
- Josh Allen had another poor game, but he hit Andre Holmes in the hands. Holmes needs to make that play -- or at least bat the pass down, so the team doesn't turn the ball over.

Up Next: The Bills go back on the road to take on the Houston Texans on Sunday, October 14 at 1:00 pm
Edited by 26CornerBlitz

10 minutes ago, Drunken Pygmy Goat said:

Truth. Today's win, much like the Vikings win, were similar to many of the Bills' early season wins last year. They lived and died off of the defense creating turnovers. It's exciting to watch, but most of us understood that it just isn't a sustainable recipe for success. But for the time being, it may be the best recipe while Allen gains valuable experience and the offense adds weapons after this year. 

This, exactly this!

Joe Flacco in his rookie year had Cam Cameron as his OC to develop him and they mostly ran the ball in 2008 with 433 passing attempts vs 592 rushing attempts! Rex Ryan was their DC and the formula was run the ball, play great defense. I watched in some games that Cameron would use two tackle eligible to run the ball, to protect that rookie QB. It worked then, it can work now.

When the team is successful running the ball, play action works so well and it also allows the QB to pick and choose his passes. Like the shotgun play that Allen threw on the winning drive to McCoy on 3rd and 3 for 13 yards from the Bills 31 when the run game was stuffed. Like the shotgun underneath pass to Ray-Ray on 2nd and 5 for a first down with 1:36 to play causing Tenn to use their third and final timeout.       

Ohhh, That's right, it wasn't all running the ball as Allen threw for two first downs on that winning drive and the pass to McCoy was the longest of the day. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, D521646 said:

Exactly, zero screens today, zero wheel routes I think, all safe easy throws to get your QB into the game..  I don't understand the offensive concept of the Bills..  Being able to run the balls obviously helps a lot as we saw today, but we can't count on that every week!  teams are going to, if not already start to force Josh to win the game, and right now he simply doesn't have the weapons to do that..

Tim-

They threw multiple screen passes.  One was to shady that was immediately blown up and Allen had to throw it in the dirt.  They threw a WR screen to Ray Ray on the final drive.

They hit Shady rolling out of the backfield a few times - not a full wheel route, but the same concept.

You are correct they can not count on the running game every week, but they are running a variety of plays and throws.  This is the exact type of game plan I would expect - easy throws- lots of runs - roll outs and sideline throws.  

It would be nice if his WRs and TEs helped him out a bit more.  I get it they are not world beaters, but the throws are there and you get KB or Clay dropping them or Holmes not making a play and letting the ball get picked off.

4 hours ago, Augie said:

If it's only twice, I’m not sure if that counts as “yet again”. Just sayin’.

I’m not keeping track, or anything.....   ?

You didn't know posters are always right? Because they change their opinion constantly based on 20/20 hindsight? And gloat about it every week? Actually only one person comes to mind now that I think about it.. gloating about anything every Sunday. Swell person.

4 hours ago, Mojo44 said:

When you hold a team to no touchdowns, by definition, the front seven played well. 

Yeah the defense played amazing.

4 minutes ago, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

You didn't know posters are always right? Because they change their opinion constantly based on 20/20 hindsight? And gloat about it every week? Actually only one person comes to mind now that I think about it.. gloating about anything every Sunday. Swell person.

I just know a few make me want to explore the “ignore” feature, but so far I’m too lazy. 

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Augie said:

I just know a few make me want to explore the “ignore” feature, but so far I’m too lazy. 

Same.. I've never done it before. 

Then again I'm afraid I might not see some brilliant future telling, at least from all the "told ya so" posts there's gotta be some right?

5 minutes ago, Drunken Pygmy Goat said:

Now I'm confused. Some guy on the previous page said that I'm a miserble asshat that shouldn't have an opinion on the Bills and what they should do. 

Yeah a lot of us just got called miserable asshats. I wasn't aware I was a miserable asshat but what can ya do? 

2 hours ago, RunTheBall said:

This  kid is a gamer and if you miserable asshats would get off his case and let him develop for a season maybe JUST MAYBE we might have a QB we can build around. STFU and enjoy the win.

RTB

His QB coach must be a miserable asshat when he critiques his performances and shows him how to improve. He would be soooo much better if he was surrounded by people that never gave him points to improve his game upon. 

PT5P

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

Yeah a lot of us just got called miserable asshats. I wasn't aware I was a miserable asshat but what can ya do? 

His QB coach must be a miserable asshat when he critiques his performances and shows him how to improve. He would be soooo much better if he was surrounded by people that never gave him points to improve his game upon. 

PT5P

Boom

2 hours ago, Nihilarian said:

While I agree with part of that last sentence with the game ball. There was a time at the start of the second half where Daboll started calling #17's number every play, and after that debacle started calling runs again. So, it wasn't perfect.

To be honest, I don't even know it was all Daboll as McD stated that this "run the ball game plan" was "the" game plan for the day and he might have broken a foot off when things started to go the other way...

All I know is I'm very happy :P that Daboll called it this way to, allow Shady, Ivory to carry the offense, to protect that rookie QB, to help the defense stay off the field, to help the offensive line so they don't look so horrid, to win the game!  

I agree, McD may have encouraged the run heavy game plan and considering the Bills WR corp vs McCoy , Ivory and Allen. Running the football plays to Buffalo's strength IMO.

One Buffalo strong...

Week 5 takeaways: Steelers, Vikes get season-changing wins

buf.png?w=50&h=50&transparent=true
The Bills did their best to keep the game out of Josh Allen's hands, limiting the rookie quarterback's mistakes with a conservative game plan that saw LeSean McCoy run 24 times. But even in the limited throws Allen made, his inconsistent accuracy continued. Allen finished with 82 passing yards and a 42.0 passer rating. Beyond the Bills simply protecting a young quarterback, this game should raise questions about Allen for whenever the Bills need to again open up their offense. -- Mike Rodak

ten.png?w=50&h=50&transparent=true
The Titans fumbled away a chance to make a statement in a game they were favored to win on the road. Tennessee had three turnovers, including a pick and two fumbles, and failed to stop Buffalo from marching down the field for the game-winning field goal. They have to put it behind them as they get set to face a tough Ravens team that is coming off a close loss to the Browns. -- Turron Davenport

Bills Today: Jordan Phillips Displays Infectious Energy in Bills Debut

lnqxc11zs1xqzw5rulrg.jpg

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

Subscription required for full access:

ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. — Shaq Lawson’s eyes welled up with tears. The bags under his eyes showed how little he’d slept.

On Wednesday morning at 7:55 a.m., Lawson got a text from CJ Fuller, a former Clemson teammate and one of Lawson’s closest friends. Fuller was planning on coming to Buffalo to visit Lawson and wanted to make sure he could bring his crutches as he recovered from ACL surgery.

Lawson was looking forward to having Fuller in the crowd for the Bills’ Week 5 game against the Tennessee Titans.

That afternoon, everything came crashing down. Fuller was found dead at 22 years old.

“Man, it’s really been hard for me,” Lawson said. “It’s been a hard week just because of the simple fact that my dog was supposed to be up here to watch me play. That was like my brother. We were everywhere together. We train together. He was always with me.”

Lawson’s week was a whirlwind. He cried more than he slept. At times, he was too emotional to be in team meetings. The Bills gave him space to grieve. Lawson wanted to go down to South Carolina to be with Fuller’s family. Laura Young and Marlon Kerner of the Bills’ player services department coordinated the flights, and Lawson flew down Friday after practice.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, gobills1212 said:

I said something to my wife along the lines of Im glad i was only 5 and didnt totally 'get it' bc TODAY was stressful. I cant imagine a world championship on the line...

I was so supremely confident that Norwood was going to make that and that the Bills were a burgeoning dynasty that I wasn't really any more worried than today when it meant very little by comparison. I know it's probably hard to fathom but that team was so good that fans just expected them to find a way to win every game they played, no matter who it was against and no matter what the score was.

Edited by vincec

How the Bills keep pulling off upsets

Do91Ec9WwAA6HjZ.jpg

QUICKLY
Buffalo grabbed their second win of the season on Sunday, with a green rookie QB surrounded by the worst roster in football. How are they doing it?

By ANDY BENOIT October 08, 2018

At 2-3, no one is saying the Buffalo Bills deserve a parade. But the team that’s widely regarded as the NFL’s least talented—including by yours truly—has now beaten the Super Bowl-contending Vikings on the road and AFC South-leading Titans at home. Head coach Sean McDermott, just like he did as a first-time head coach last year, is making chicken salad in Buffalo. His recipe is worth examining.

Start by understanding Buffalo’s ingredients. Quarterback Josh Allen has mesmerizing arm strength and underrated athleticism. His accuracy is a work in progress. So is his field-reading, to a much greater degree. Allen does not yet understand how defensive fronts relate to potential pressure designs. He struggles to identify defensive looks that change after the snap. He sometimes predetermines downfield throws, which is to be expected given that he does not yet have a full grasp on how certain route concepts defeat specific coverages. This is not atypical of a rookie four starts into his career. We’ve seen equally raw but less gifted QBs go on to have nice careers. (McDermott tried to let Allen take the Patrick Mahomes path and learn from the bench, but Nathan Peterman wasn’t exactly Alex Smith.)

10 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Daboll called a perfect game today?

Wow.

With all due respect, I strongly and stridently disagree.

Come on....what other coach could have thought to give the ball to McCoy? No one here thought of it....brilliant coaching

• Haha (+1) 1

Who plays for a 45 yard FG in the closing minute when down by two points? There was plenty of time and opportunity to get the ball at least 10 yards closer.  McClappy and Daboll would be getting killed here, if Hauschka had missed that kick. 

The passing offense was a joke.  I think at some point in the early 4th quarter it totaled 50 yards. 

• Sad 1