Syracuse Basketball 2023-24

Buffalo716

26 minutes ago, Bermuda Triangle said:

I don't know when you were last on The Hill, but I was there for the Clemson game in September, having last been to the campus area for a hoops game in January, and I couldn't believe how different the Marshall/Crouse area looked.  There's a large apartment building where Hungry Chuck's/Charlie's and Funk 'N Waffles used to be.   This may be blasphemy, but I cannot stand the food at Varsity - far too greasy for me.  Faegan's, on the other hand, is a great place to grab a bite and a drink or two before or after a game.

As for the team itself...yikes.  I do like watching Girard play, but frankly expected more from Guerrier and Goodine.  Little disappointed that it doesn't seem that Dolezaj, Buddy and Sidibe have shown any marked improvement from last season.  Far too often this season, it's been Hughes against the world.

I was also there for the Clemson game.  Nearly died of dehydration and heat exhaustion by half time.

The hill definitely isn’t what it used to be.  Chucks was always our go-to pregame spot, and then usually would grab a slice at Varsity after the game.  Varsity has decent food, but not great (IMO).  It’s more about the experience.  We always go to Faegan’s nowadays.  Solid food, a very good beer selection, and a great game day atmosphere.  

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

I’ll be at the game tonight with my son for his 10th birthday if anyone is going to be around.  We’ll be in section 107.  At Faegan’s before the game for dinner.  Hit me up!

Go Cuse ?

have a great time! This could be the lone game this year where Syracuse dominates on the inside— Niagara supposedly has the shortest team in college b-ball! 

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Varsity has decent food, but not great (IMO).  It’s more about the experience.

I need to clarify on Varsity and blasphemy.  It wouldn't be my first choice for pizza or anything.............But, as a student, and needing a quick lunch, it was the best.  2 good to very good sausage slices immediately handed out.  

9 minutes ago, The Poojer said:

Not sure about blasphemy, varsity is good and I might be aging myself but always preferred Acropolis over varsity.  

That's why I had to clarify in the post above yours.  

Edited by bbb
  • Thank you (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, bbb said:

I need to clarify on Varsity and blasphemy.  It wouldn't be my first choice for pizza or anything.............But, as a student, and needing a quick lunch, it was the best.  2 good to very good sausage slices immediately handed out.  

I should've clarified - when I was in school, I did like, and regularly ate, Varsity.  However, as I've gotten older, my stomach has become less tolerant.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Good first half for Syracuse.  I don’t know if maybe they had a NyQuil chugging contest at halftime, but they looked horrible in the 2nd half.  Defense slowed down, no intensity on the boards, and the shots stopped falling.

To be fair, Boeheim looked to be doing a bit of tinkering with the lineup.  One interesting combo was JG3-Hughes-Braswell-Dolezaj-Sidibe.  Braswell came in and hit a couple big threes, but his PT was cut short as he quickly got the Boeheim hook for some reason.  I really think these are the games where JB needs to be getting Braswell minutes.  Clearly Bras has found himself in the dog house.  Sidibe might as well not have hands at all because he can’t catch any passes in the low post.  

Niagara fans with a really nice turn out.  I was really surprised at how full the Dome was.  We got to the hill at 5:15 and Faegan’s was already completely packed.  It really is the only place to go in that area for pregame food/drinks.  What a shame.  I really miss Chucks.  We ended up going to Varsity and waiting in line for 45 minutes for some “meh” pizza.

We had some great seats and my boy had a great time on his birthday though.  Things are going to get really interesting here as ACC play begins.

Go ?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Bermuda Triangle said:

too bad. The one sure way to get rid of shin splints is to basically rest for like 6-8 weeks. Don’t want those to progress into stress fractures. I had a similar issue a few years ago, and rest was key. 

8 hours ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

too bad. The one sure way to get rid of shin splints is to basically rest for like 6-8 weeks. Don’t want those to progress into stress fractures. I had a similar issue a few years ago, and rest was key. 

I had no idea that shin splints were such a serious injury.  I used to get them every lacrosse preseason when we had to practice for the first few weeks in the gym/parking lot, but then they would just go away after a few days of rest.  I’ve never heard of a basketball player being shelved for shin splints ??‍♂️

13 hours ago, Just Jack said:

I know this is primarily the men’s team, but the women had a great game tonight against FSU. The finish in OT should make ESPNs plays of the day. 

https://www.syracuse.com/sports/2020/01/syracuse-womens-basketball-tops-no-8-florida-state-in-ot.html

Hillsman couldn’t have drawn it up any better than that.  Unbelievable.  He really is doing amazing things with that program.

42 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Probably a good choice, my friend.  Very few things could drag me away from my living room tomorrow ?

Yep I agree. Got the tickets and everything. I was really hoping the bills would play Sunday, but oh well. Not missing the bills in the playoffs for only the 2nd time in 20 years 

1 hour ago, Steptide said:

Yep I agree. Got the tickets and everything. I was really hoping the bills would play Sunday, but oh well. Not missing the bills in the playoffs for only the 2nd time in 20 years 

I love Syracuse basketball. But to miss a Bills playoff game for even watching a great Syracuse team play (let alone the garbage they have out there this year) is tough to do. You definitely won’t regret it. 

This team needed some good luck. They looked like they were going to choke the game away. Then they played looser In OT and that Buddy heave in OT was the lucky shot they’ve needed all year. 

UVA though looks pretty terrible this year. They’re just winning with D. They will probably be an 8 seed or worse in the tourney. 

7 hours ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

This team needed some good luck. They looked like they were going to choke the game away. Then they played looser In OT and that Buddy heave in OT was the lucky shot they’ve needed all year. 

UVA though looks pretty terrible this year. They’re just winning with D. They will probably be an 8 seed or worse in the tourney. 

Wtf the one game I don't watch and we win!

Might have to sit a few out boys and see how she plays

1 minute ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

This team is getting better.  That’s about all I got.  We shoot well and we tend to win against comparable teams.  We’ll see...

Yeah I'm trying not to get too excited but they looked good these last 2 games.  If they look this good next game ill start trying to figure out how they make the tournament lol

26 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Immediately eligible? And why so long away?

Yes immediately eligible, and presumably so that he can do what he's doing now: take visits to schools and basically treat it as a recruiting process all over again. Also might be saving himself an additional year of eligibility? I'm not sure about that part; I've been asleep at the wheel on this one.

Without even looking at video, his rebounding numbers are concerning to me. In his games against major conferences last year:

Boston College: 3 rebounds in 27 minutes

Rutgers: 4 rebounds in 28 minutes

Northwestern: 4 rebounds in 23 minutes

Roughly 5.5 rebounds per 40 minutes (for comparison's sake, Sidibe and Edwards are averaging 10.9 and 12.8 in conference play respectively). Again, haven't looked at video of him at all, but unless he's a Brook Lopez-style guy where he just boxes out and lets his teammates grab the rebounds, this guy looks to be unbelievably poor on the glass when he isn't playing against other small schools.

He did play for our coaching staff this summer though so we know this kid very well/he knows us very well.

Edited by DCOrange

1 minute ago, DCOrange said:

Yes immediately eligible, and presumably so that he can do what he's doing now: take visits to schools and basically treat it as a recruiting process all over again. Also might be saving himself an additional year of eligibility? I'm not sure about that part; I've been asleep at the wheel on this one.

Without even looking at video, his rebounding numbers are concerning to me. In his games against major conferences last year:

Roughly 5.5 rebounds per 40 minutes (for comparison's sake, Sidibe and Edwards are averaging 10.9 and 12.8 in conference play respectively). Again, haven't looked at video of him at all, but unless he's a Brook Lopez-style guy where he just boxes out and lets his teammates grab the rebounds, this guy looks to be unbelievably poor on the glass when he isn't playing against other small schools.

Just seems odd to me he wouldn't do this tour during the summer so he could've chosen a team and got some chemistry

Definitely worrying numbers

2 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

He did play for our coaching staff this summer though so we know this kid very well/he knows us very well.

I am guessing he might get pushed around with a 230-pound frame like Edwards does. Still, at 6’10”, you’d think a few more balls would at least fall in your lap.