Syracuse Basketball 2023-24

Buffalo716

4 hours ago, Bermuda Triangle said:

To be clear, I'm not saying (nor did I intend to insinuate) that he's doing anything wrong - I'm just paranoid about the NCAA having it out for Boeheim.

Your story above is yet another example of Weitsman doing good with his resources.  Kudos to him, and I hope that your niece is on the road to recovery.  By all reports, he's a solid dude, who is very generous with his resources.

She rang the bell at Upstate Cancer Center in September, thank you.  Little girl has been through more than just about anyone I have known.  Survivor.  And a budding ? fan.  I took her to her first ‘Cuse lacrosse game last week.

I get what you’re saying.  Cheers ? 

• Like (+1) 4

Hey, Bona has it's own felon superfan...........John Rigas was let out of prison because he was dying...........And, then every game I've been to since, there he is in a suit, in his season tickets looking down on what was briefly called Adelphia Court at the Reilly Center...........When I've been asked about the dying part, I've said Yeah, he was dying to go to Bonnies games! 

8 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

She rang the bell at Upstate Cancer Center in September, thank you.  Little girl has been through more than just about anyone I have known.  Survivor.  And a budding ? fan.  I took her to her first ‘Cuse lacrosse game last week.

I get what you’re saying.  Cheers ? 

That's awesome. Cancer is just so f'n evil...

And I don't want to jinx it, but it sounds like Cuse Lax might just be back!

9 hours ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

What the heck was that? I gave Syracuse 0%
chance to win, and they blow out UNC by 30?! 

Interesting how they’ve beaten every team they’ve played the second time— hopefully that holds true for Louisville. But that first Louisville game was a dumpster fire. 

They'll need all their starters plus Guerrier to play above their heads to have any shot at Louisville.  

Carolina looks like they have a whole bunch of low  basketball IQ players.  They have some key injuries but they could usually withstand them.  Couple that with what seemed like a very unathletic NC team (I know Cuse rolls out the debate club looking roster), I was shocked this was the same team that thumped Cuse to end the season.  

1 hour ago, inkman said:

They'll need all their starters plus Guerrier to play above their heads to have any shot at Louisville.  

Carolina looks like they have a whole bunch of low  basketball IQ players.  They have some key injuries but they could usually withstand them.  Couple that with what seemed like a very unathletic NC team (I know Cuse rolls out the debate club looking roster), I was shocked this was the same team that thumped Cuse to end the season.  

Honestly, UNC looks poorly coached.  As much as people rip JB, this actually good be one of his best coaching jobs, since he basically has 5 role players on the floor.  

1 hour ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

well, of all years to be in a down year, this was it. There probably won't be an NCAA tournament.

Also, if we had to go out, smoking UNC by 30 is about as good as it gets. 

has a non-stellar Syracuse team beaten the Tarheels like that before?

2 hours ago, row_33 said:

has a non-stellar Syracuse team beaten the Tarheels like that before?

Not for a few decades.  As you most likely know, the Tar Heels aren't good.  At all. A lot has to do with injury but they have zero depth as well. 

2 hours ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

Goodine is transferring. Kinda stinks. Was thinking he was going to be a nice player for us next year. 

1 hour ago, Buffalo716 said:

That sucks

Kadary Richmond is coming in this year combo guard

Sucks.  I liked Goodine a lot.  But he was going to be stuck in a log jam for PT for his college career.  He’s not a dependable PG, and his shot isn’t there yet.  He did flash on defense, IMO.

IMO, Washington proved to be the #2 pure PG behind Girard.  With Richmond coming in 2020, Dior Johnson coming in ‘21 or ‘22, and Westry a distinct possibility for ‘22...Goodine would have been buried on the depth chart.  Would he be happy with 8-10 minutes/game next season?  I doubt it.  I think he made a good decision for himself.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Sucks.  I liked Goodine a lot.  But he was going to be stuck in a log jam for PT for his college career.  He’s not a dependable PG, and his shot isn’t there yet.  He did flash on defense, IMO.

IMO, Washington proved to be the #2 pure PG behind Girard.  With Richmond coming in 2020, Dior Johnson coming in ‘21 or ‘22, and Westry a distinct possibility for ‘22...Goodine would have been buried on the depth chart.  Would he be happy with 8-10 minutes/game next season?  I doubt it.  I think he made a good decision for himself.

Think Cary is staying or leaving? He actually still seemed super team first on the bench rehabbing all year

1 hour ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Carey has proven that he can’t handle the ball under pressure.  I think JG3 could play SG, but he’s fat and away our best option at PG.

I thought JG3 was in fantastic shape all season.

• Haha (+1) 1

Howard Washington and Jalen Carey transferring as well.  I guess I’m ambivalent about all 3 of them.  I like Washington as a pure back up PG, but Carey was just not good.  Goodine has potential and played solid D, but he wasn’t going to get more than 8-10 min/game next year anyway.  

Here’s to hoping that K Rich is as advertised.

39 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Howard Washington and Jalen Carey transferring as well.  I guess I’m ambivalent about all 3 of them.  I like Washington as a pure back up PG, but Carey was just not good.  Goodine has potential and played solid D, but he wasn’t going to get more than 8-10 min/game next year anyway.  

Here’s to hoping that K Rich is as advertised.

wishful thinking, but you think this might be a sign that Hughes stays? 

18 minutes ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

wishful thinking, but you think this might be a sign that Hughes stays? 

I don’t think this has any bearing on Hughes’ decision.  I think Hughes is close to his ceiling, and would be wise to enter the draft.  I don’t see how another season at Cuse is going to help him.  Worst case scenario he plays d-league or overseas while he finishes his degree.

I think the next few recruiting classes are going to be good ones.  Despite Carey, Washington and Goodine leaving, we’re going to be loaded at guard for the next few years.

Edit:  Good summary here of 2021-22 targets.  Worth noting that Dior Johnson (commit) and Chance Westry (near lock to commit) are both possibly reclassifying to 2021.  Kadary Richmond, Woody Newton and possibly a grad transfer in the 2020 class.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.syracuse.com/orangebasketball/2020/02/syracuse-basketball-recruiting-see-highlights-and-notes-for-sus-2021-2022-targets.html%3foutputType=amp

Edited by Johnny Hammersticks
  • Thank you (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

I don’t think this has any bearing on Hughes’ decision.  I think Hughes is close to his ceiling, and would be wise to enter the draft.  I don’t see how another season at Cuse is going to help him.  Worst case scenario he plays d-league or overseas while he finishes his degree.

I think the next few recruiting classes are going to be good ones.  Despite Carey, Washington and Goodine leaving, we’re going to be loaded at guard for the next few years.

Edit:  Good summary here of 2021-22 targets.  Worth noting that Dior Johnson (commit) and Chance Westry (near lock to commit) are both possibly reclassifying to 2021.  Kadary Richmond, Woody Newton and possibly a grad transfer in the 2020 class.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.syracuse.com/orangebasketball/2020/02/syracuse-basketball-recruiting-see-highlights-and-notes-for-sus-2021-2022-targets.html%3foutputType=amp

Sucks but I saw the writing on the wall

Hopefully kadari is as advertised and I wonder how reclassifying would impact Diors ranking

• 2 weeks later...
32 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

SU 0-2 on grad transfers

I assume you’re referring to Towns and Tape. Still some good transfers/grad transfers out there.  Who wants to be our next Wes Johnson?  I think we should shoot for some G/SF depth if we can get it, and let Sidibe and Edwards develop.  Our best chance to start really making some noise is 2021-22.

20 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

I assume you’re referring to Towns and Tape. Still some good transfers/grad transfers out there.  Who wants to be our next Wes Johnson?  I think we should shoot for some G/SF depth if we can get it, and let Sidibe and Edwards develop.  Our best chance to start really making some noise is 2021-22.

Unfortunately 6'7 SFs who are big east players of the year are rarely transfers

Hopefully Kadari Richmond, now a 6'7 guard will be able to contribute

1 minute ago, Buffalo716 said:

Unfortunately 6'7 SFs who are big east players of the year are rarely transfers

Hopefully Kadari Richmond, now a 6'7 guard will be able to contribute

I could see Kadari playing the wing.  He has the range.  Can back up both guard spots also, but ideal position for him is SG.

• Like (+1) 1

The thing that'll be tough regarding transfers is that those guys are generally transferring because they want more playing time. We don't really have the ability to offer that; our starting lineup is pretty much set in stone for next year already and Boeheim doesn't play a deep bench so it's going to be near impossible to get any of the top tier transfers IMO.

18 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

The thing that'll be tough regarding transfers is that those guys are generally transferring because they want more playing time. We don't really have the ability to offer that; our starting lineup is pretty much set in stone for next year already and Boeheim doesn't play a deep bench so it's going to be near impossible to get any of the top tier transfers IMO.

I’d like to see them go after a grad transfer like Brendan Barry the PG from Dartmouth.  Knockdown shooter who can handle the ball. Just depth for JG3.  

Edit:  Seems like the only other one they have seriously reached out to is Joshua Morgan, a 6’11” 195 pound C from Long Beach State.

Edited by Johnny Hammersticks
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

I hate to say this, but with all the COVID-19

uncertainty, you wonder if underclassmen on the fence will return to school. They may be unable to do all those pre-draft workouts, meeting with scouts, agents, etc. 

That is true.. he is probably a early second round pick or maybe late first

Another great season can probably vault him into the top 15

50 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

That is true.. he is probably a early second round pick or maybe late first

Another great season can probably vault him into the top 15

read a great interview of John Wallace the other day. He was saying how it should be a no-brainer for Hughes to come back. Wallace was in the exact same position, came back for that magical senior year, and moved up to about 15th.

BTw, this led me down memory lane and re-watching a ton of Wallace highlights, including that Georgia game!! Great memories. He was one of my favorite players— a Rochester kid! 

• Like (+1) 1

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.syracuse.com/orangebasketball/2020/03/illinois-transfer-alan-griffin-considering-syracuse-basketball-report.html%3foutputType=amp

6’5” SG/SF transfer from Illinois has Syracuse on his short list.  Many believe he was poorly utilized at Illinois, but the thing is, he’s kind of a douche.  I believe he intentionally stomped on an opposing player’s arm this season?   

Unfortunately, unless given an unlikely waiver by the NCAA, he’s not eligible until fall 2021.  Thoughts?