Who hates the 10 minute OT?

Overtime  

70 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want the 10minute OT?

2. 2. Do you want the old OT with 2 quarters?

3. 3. Do you want something else? Specify in the comments.

3 hours ago, Billsfanatic8989 said:

What if team A gets the ball first and is faced with 4th and 30 at their own 30 or something crazy? Then they are screwd. But I guess that goes to your point about possibly defending first instead of going on offense.

Are the playoff overtimes 15 minutes?

In this instance, yes.  In sudden death, the odds of it going past 10 are slim.  I just thought it was an interesting proposal.

4 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

I have no idea why the NFL decided to lower the amount of time in overtime, what problem were they trying to solve? 

I should let the resident Goodell answer this, but the answer is obvious. Player safety.

I didn't vote because I wasn't sure what "old OT with 2 quarters" was.

My opinion is it should just be sudden death for 15:00 like it used to be.

I HATE the college one.  It's goofy IMHO.

Just now, reddogblitz said:

I should let the resident Goodell answer this, but the answer is obvious. Player safety.

I didn't vote because I wasn't sure what "old OT with 2 quarters" was.

My opinion is it should just be sudden death for 15:00 like it used to be.

I HATE the college one.  It's goofy IMHO.

It seems very negligible in terms of player safety. I mean how many OT games would go past the 10 minute mark? 5-10 a year maybe? That's not really going to make an impact, but you probably increase the amount of ties a year from 0-1 to 4 or more which is really going to impact the game.  

7 hours ago, Starr Almighty said:

do you mean sudden death?

No, two full quarters.

20 hours ago, bills11 said:

Just go to the college system problem solved 

it's fun to watch for sure, I think making them go for two on every TD would help shorten it up as well.

19 hours ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

I’d like to see a hockey style shoot out. Each team gets five plays from a short field (2, 5 maybe 10 yard line). A touchdown is a score and everything short, isn’t. Most scores win. 

Or just put them on the 5 yrd  line and last team to score wins ( no extra point tries, or field goals just TDs). You get four downs to score like normal. If both teams don't score they each get a new set of downs.

18 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

Did I miss something? Why is this even an issue? Are teams complaining? Did someone get screwed? ‘Fixing’ overtime is way, way down there on the list of things I think have gotten worse under Roger Goodell.

just hate all the ties.

as do most.

1 hour ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

I believe it was 15 minutes 

Same. I think the 10 minutes combined with the FG not winning the game is a recipe for disaster. Teams seem to milk the clock more than usual.  If they want an abbreviated OT then just do the college thing and make them go for two on any touchdown. 

I like the the traditional rules, the more changes they make the more disinterested I become. I’m not about to go oldmanonlawn over the NFL. It the pinball scores keep going up and up and every QB has a passer rating that would once be HOF worthy then I’m out.

10 hours ago, Commonsense said:

Same. I think the 10 minutes combined with the FG not winning the game is a recipe for disaster. Teams seem to milk the clock more than usual.  If they want an abbreviated OT then just do the college thing and make them go for two on any touchdown. 

I like the the traditional rules, the more changes they make the more disinterested I become. I’m not about to go oldmanonlawn over the NFL. It the pinball scores keep going up and up and every QB has a passer rating that would once be HOF worthy then I’m out.

IIRC  Whats funny is that First team to score probably never took 10 minutes. 

https://www.sbnation.com/2017/5/23/15674886/nfl-owners-vote-overtime-rules

The driving force behind the rule change is the idea that shortening overtime would be better for player health and safety.

The turnaround time for players between a Sunday game and Thursday Night Football is a challenge. The NFL’s competition committee recommended this rule change to make it easier for players to recover over that short span before a Thursday night game.

"First of all, the number of plays that these guys play, then take that to the next week, is really a competitive disadvantage,” Baltimore Ravens head coach John Harbaugh said in March. “Guys get worn out. It's hard to recover from one week to the next.”