Met the mother of a current Bill this week

Thurman#1

43 minutes ago, Cripple Creek said:

I’ll look past the fact that you just called me uneducated & remind you that you have taken this topic far afield. Please try to be relevant.

I didn’t call you uneducated. I don’t know if you are educated or not. From your link, if you use the word “irregardless” people will think you are uneducated. Because of our mutual love for each other, in spite of the fact that you have called me a troll on multiple occassions, I don’t want you to look like an idiot.

Edited by Sky Diver
  • Haha (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, quinnearlysghost88 said:

Kory Stamper knows her stuff. Just finished her book. 

I learned standard written English in school. The use of the word “irregardless” was verboden.

Are you an English teacher?

Edited by Sky Diver

1 hour ago, Sky Diver said:

I learned standard written English in school. The use of the word “irregardless” was verboden.

Are you an English teacher?

I’m a writer. I was going to be an English teacher, but I balked after shadowing a few teachers as a junior. 

Also, language is living. If enough people use irregardless, it becomes part of the language. There are many examples of these words making their way into our lexicon. 

People are always up in arms when a word like bling or YOLO is added to the dictionary. Merriam  didn’t decide that. We, as a culture, decided that. Same with irregardless. 

Edited by quinnearlysghost88
  • Thank you (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

I can top that from this trip. 

Saw three adult grizzlies, one of whom was a sow with two cubs, all wild, one a hundred yards away and the other two around forty to fifty yards away. I went to Yellowstone 45 or 50 years ago when everyone saw grizzlies because the Park had a garbage dump inside the park and there were usually half a dozen bears scavenging at that dump. I thought it would still be like that this trip but when we got there we discovered that that dump is gone and the bears aren't spotted nearly as often.

On that earlier trip I saw something I've never forgotten as a result of it's being the single stupidest thing I've ever seen. In Yellowstone when you see cars lined up on the side of the road you know there are usually animals there. So we saw probably 30 cars lined up on both sides of the road and slow traffic. We just drove past and there was a massive adult grizzly within five yards of the road. And a guy had gotten out of his car, bringing his wife and son who was maybe eight years old. He had put his son on top of the grizzly to ride it, he was standing right beside it and his wife was standing two or three yards in front of him slowly lining up a picture. I asked my dad, "should we yell at him to get back in his car?" And my dad said, "No, we're not going to make any noise now, son." There were no reports of a tragedy so this moron got away with it but I'll never forget it. Whenever anyone mentions Darwin awards, that's what I think of.

Oh, and one thing you learn in Yellowstone is how absolutely massive and powerful wild buffalo are. We must have seen several hundred, two big herds and maybe eight or ten solos. Man, those are some seriously huge animals. 

We saw no bears in the wild.  We did see moose and mule deer.  And bison, of course.  We drove doen one side of the road while a line of bison walked singgle file in the other lane in the correct direction for the road.  We stayed in the car, but we saw some idiot outside almost nose to nose with a bison trying to get a close up.  The Darwin awards do come to mind with a lot of things that tourists do.

12 minutes ago, quinnearlysghost88 said:

I’m a writer. I was going to be an English teacher, but I balked after shadowing a few teachers as a junior. 

Also, language is living. If enough people use irregardless, it becomes part of the language. There are many examples of these words making their way into our lexicon. 

People are always up in arms when a word like bling or YOLO is added to the dictionary. Merriam  didn’t decide that. We, as a culture, decided that. Same with irregardless. 

I’ll use “regardless”. I don’t feel the need to participate in cultural decline.

• Haha (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Sky Diver said:

I’ll use “regardless”. I don’t feel the need to participate in cultural decline.

you don't? lol

then how do you explain rooting for a team called Crimson Tide with an elephant as the logo? Did said elephant eat a lot of red fruit/berries?

serious question on that elephant. I know the Red Elephants reference but it does not match Crimson Tide reference in the rain game that gave them their official nickname. Shouldn't they choose one? A big red crimson wave or some such. 

I do like the historical reference though.

Edited by cba fan

12 minutes ago, cba fan said:

you don't? lol

then how do you explain rooting for a team called Crimson Tide with an elephant as the logo? Did said elephant eat a lot of red fruit/berries?

serious question on that elephant. I know the Red Elephants reference but it does not match Crimson Tide reference in the rain game that gave them their official nickname. Shouldn't they choose one? A big red crimson wave or some such. 

I do like the historical reference though.

I’m missing the connection between a mascot and standard written English. Big Al is grey, by the way.

How many blue buffaloes have you seen? :)

Edited by Sky Diver

I had this window salesman at the house and it turned out he played DL/LB at Penn State and later the CFL. I probed a bit and realized he must have played with Maybin.

He said Maybin was a great guy but the entire defense knew Maybin wasn't special and wouldn't make it in the NFL. Made me think scouts should do a little more digging before drafting a guy that high. I'm sure most aren't looking to throw a teammate under the bus, but I'd put as much stock in what teammates have to say as I would 40 times/stats.

20 minutes ago, quinnearlysghost88 said:

Haha you have that right. But just know, language is evolving with or without your participation. You can choose to adapt or be the person that’s constantly frustrated. 

I choose not to particpate in the bastardization of the language. Participating would be more frustrating. I spent too many years learning the proper use of the language.

Edited by Sky Diver

18 hours ago, Jauronimo said:

Its fun and games until you go back to the fridge for another beer, see that the squid is now gone,  only to find it in bed with your wife.

I don't know if you have a Japanese wife, or if so what area of Japan she's from, but mine keeps her food-play and her bed-play separate.

Which is a very good thing, because 2 nights ago it wasn't squid in the fridge; it was eels.

2 hours ago, Sky Diver said:

I’m missing the connection between a mascot and standard written English. Big Al is grey, by the way.

How many blue buffaloes have you seen? :)

Yeah that was a stretch to get my logo question in. 

Still think crimson tide is good name but it is a wave or tide of crimson coming in. They should have a logo related don't you think.??

Or have the red elephant riding a wave or running in a tide.

And if the elephant is grey why are they using it as a historical ref to the first nickname red elephants?

Edited by cba fan

13 minutes ago, cba fan said:

Yeah that was a stretch to get my logo question in. 

Still think crimson tide is good name but it is a wave or tide of crimson coming in. They should have a logo related don't you think.??

Or have the red elephant riding a wave or running in a tide.

And if the elephant is grey why are they using it as a historical ref to the first nickname red elephants?

I posted a link to the elephant story on the Roll Tide thread on the college forum.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Jon in Pasadena said:

I don't know if you have a Japanese wife, or if so what area of Japan she's from, but mine keeps her food-play and her bed-play separate.

Which is a very good thing, because 2 nights ago it wasn't squid in the fridge; it was eels.

Looks like you're not very current on your hentai.  Octopus/squid get all the girls.

3 hours ago, Sky Diver said:

I didn’t call you uneducated. I don’t know if you are educated or not. From your link, if you use the word “irregardless” people will think you are uneducated. Because of our mutual love for each other, in spite of the fact that you have called me a troll on multiple occassions, I don’t want you to look like an idiot.

You didn’t say I’m uneducated, and yet that is the exact phrase that you decided to copy/paste. I’m not sure what the nuns taught you, but I was encouraged to infer. My inference is that you, earlier, called me uneducated and now in your passive aggressive way you are telling me I’m an idiot.  Besides not learning “judge not lest he be judged” you also failed to learn about how to treat your fellow man.

For penance 5 Our Fathers, 5 Hail Marys, 5 War Eagles

• Haha (+1) 1

I appreciate the nice story being shared here. i can see the threads has derailed a bit.

But Thurman's intentions were well received by me. Thanks.

back to japanese female eels and the Alabama

24 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

Looks like you're not very current on your hentai.  Octopus/squid get all the girls.

taking notes. continue...

• Haha (+1) 1

On 9/27/2018 at 2:16 AM, Thurman#1 said:

It was very cool.

The wife and daughter and I were flying out of Denver last Sunday after a couple of awesome weeks off the grid in Grand Teton and Yellowstone NPs. Fantastic, though I had pretty much missed everything Bills-related.  <snip>

Nice story. You may find this article interesting since you referenced another incident down thread:

https://www.oregonlive.com/pacific-northwest-news/index.ssf/2018/08/oregon_man_gets_jail_time_for.html

35 minutes ago, Cripple Creek said:

You didn’t say I’m uneducated, and yet that is the exact phrase that you decided to copy/paste. I’m not sure what the nuns taught you, but I was encouraged to infer. My inference is that you, earlier, called me uneducated and now in your passive aggressive way you are telling me I’m an idiot.  Besides not learning “judge not lest he be judged” you also failed to learn about how to treat your fellow man.

For penance 5 Our Fathers, 5 Hail Marys, 5 War Eagles

In the future, you should actually read the articles you link.

For repeatedly calling me a troll, your penance is to listen to Hail to the Chief.

On 9/29/2018 at 3:34 AM, TigerJ said:

We saw no bears in the wild.  We did see moose and mule deer.  And bison, of course.  We drove doen one side of the road while a line of bison walked singgle file in the other lane in the correct direction for the road.  We stayed in the car, but we saw some idiot outside almost nose to nose with a bison trying to get a close up.  The Darwin awards do come to mind with a lot of things that tourists do.

Yeah, we saw deer as well, but I'm jealous about the moose. Last trip (around 45 years ago) we saw a bunch of moose. Nothing this time, and my three year-old really wanted to see one. 

No moose and no elk this time but the grizzlies made up for it.

Edited by Thurman#1