Division Game Scheduling

Looking over our schedule, we play 5/6 division games in the 2nd half of the season. Both Jets games within a month of each other, and both Dolphins games within a month. The only team that's spread evenly is the Patriots*. Last season, we played all of our New England* and Miami games in December.

I get that this is a minor complaint, and I'm not saying it's any sort of slight or conspiracy against us. But shouldn't they be more spread out. Shouldn't we play each of our division rivals once in the first half, and once in the second half? It's just that the way a team's roster shapes from the beginning of the year, could be a completely different roster by the end of the year. It just seems right that it should be somewhat evenly spread out. 

• Like (+1) 2

What I’d like to see if the first four weeks be your three division opponents and one other game. The last four weeks, also your three division opponents and another team. I think it would make things interesting when it comes down to the final weeks with how division records could suddenly change since teams haven’t played each other in two months or more. 

• Like (+1) 4

12 hours ago, Just Jack said:

What I’d like to see if the first four weeks be your three division opponents and one other game. The last four weeks, also your three division opponents and another team. I think it would make things interesting when it comes down to the final weeks with how division records could suddenly change since teams haven’t played each other in two months or more. 

I don't see this ever happening. Not enough leeway for the NFL to schedule big games for primetime games. I guess they'd just have to rearrange it for that 4th game to be the big ticket games. I'd like to see that for sure though.

13 hours ago, Just Jack said:

Doing that early season in a good fivision could make a team quit if they ho 0-3 in division early

14 hours ago, Just Jack said:

It is like how baseball is played...division games...then inter-league games in the summer ....back to divison games to end the season...would be cool to do that in NFL too...I think it will provide a lot more excitement...last years Bills-Jets and Baltimore-Cincy....what a way to finish to enter the playoffs.

21 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

late division games  early division games ....  meh.   

the only odd I find in a schedule  is playing one of them twice in 3 weeks  

I remember that happened with Steelers/Ravens a few years ago.  They played each other late in the season, then two weeks later they played each other again. 

19 hours ago, eball said:

442867965_angryoldman.thumb.jpg.28d60bdb28a5364498d199c789a792b8.jpg

Seems I'm posting this about once daily lately...

39 minutes ago, leonbus23 said:

And it is never funny. 

The meme is funny when used in the right context. However, I pointed out that I'm not mad about it, I don't think we're being slighted. Just a thought I had.

• Like (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, leonbus23 said:

And it is never funny. 

Oh, it's funny alright.  And to @The Real Buffalo Joe's point, I know he wasn't really "complaining" but at the end of the day who really cares?  A few years ago the NFL went to the system in which every game is a divisional game in W17 just so there was no gamesmanship and fewer "meaningless" games.  More divisional games in the 2nd half of the season creates more drama.

On 9/26/2018 at 5:13 PM, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

Looking over our schedule, we play 5/6 division games in the 2nd half of the season. Both Jets games within a month of each other, and both Dolphins games within a month. The only team that's spread evenly is the Patriots*. Last season, we played all of our New England* and Miami games in December.

I get that this is a minor complaint, and I'm not saying it's any sort of slight or conspiracy against us. But shouldn't they be more spread out. Shouldn't we play each of our division rivals once in the first half, and once in the second half? It's just that the way a team's roster shapes from the beginning of the year, could be a completely different roster by the end of the year. It just seems right that it should be somewhat evenly spread out. 

I have thought too much about this and think they should schedule the division games in two sets- weeks 5-9 first set and then 14-17 for second set. But i know that the nfl does not care about that.

I would like to see all Thursday nite games be between division opponents after both come off of bye weeks. Then you would play that same opponent 11 days later, home and home series. Advantage would be #1 Thursday games would not be sloppy due to short preparation week. #2 would be that there would be no bye week advantage for either team, and no 11 day rest advantage for teams coming off Thursday nite games. Could still have the season open on Thursday under this scenario, however the next couple and the last few weeks would have no Thursday nite games. I wouldn't miss them. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 9/27/2018 at 11:27 AM, Boatdrinks said:

The league has shifted to this type of scheduling to keep division races alive in November and December. I don’t see an issue with it. Why have teams locking up their division before Thanksgiving ? 

I agree with this, but in this case, we dont even play our FIRST division game until week 8 which is the MNF game against the Pats*

On 9/26/2018 at 4:13 PM, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

That would make it fair. Who wants that? The computer’s algorithms think all games are created equal.