WR Suggestion - Bills should sign ASAP

OrediggerPoke

8 hours ago, BringBackOrton said:

If we're going to bring in players already on other teams, we should just grab AB and Julio, IMO.

Really? In your effort to sound snarky, you just sound misinformed. You don't see the difference between what the OP is suggesting and your lame comment? Your other thread demonstrates your current bias as well....dear Lord, it wasn't an original idea (no offense OP), but it wasn't a horrible one either and certainly is nowhere near what you've suggested in your snarky, dumb attempt at sarcasm. 

Edited by BigBuff423
  • Like (+1) 1

I’ve only recently come here so have no idea to the extent Gentry has been discussed. 

I can only speak from my personal knowledge and what I have seen of the Bills through the pre-season and early season games.  I can only speak of actually watching Allen slinging the ball to Gentry for hours on those ‘hot’ 70 degree Laramie summer days.  I can only speak of a poor Wyoming line causing Josh to run for his life and throwing it up for Gentry to go up and come down with.  That’s my perspective and I’m sure it may be a little biased but you pay Gentry a lot less than Kelvin Benjamin and I can pretty much guarantee he would have caught those balls that Benjamin couldn’t hold on to. Most receivers are not accustomed to the Allen fastball because very very few receivers have had sufficient opportunity to catch them.  Gentry has and has proven he can reliably catch them. 

Edited by OrediggerPoke

5 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

Bears have fine receivers. Who are you talking about?

They have Allen Robinson and a rookie that hasn't done anything yet. And last year they had literally nothing; their leading receivers were Kendall Wright and Josh Bellamy with 600 and 300 receiving yards.

12 hours ago, Shotgunner said:

We have the worst WRs I think we have ever had. 

Would kill for Stevie Johnson, Donald Jones, and David Nelson right now even.

KB is just terrible. 

Sure, give this Gentry kid a shot.

Jeepers, Shotgunner, I'd even kill for a reasonably healthy Deonte Thompson and Jordan Matthews, comments about nothing to do in Buffalo, aside.

Kelvin Benjamin is on the verge of being able to command a $1 to $2 million single season deal on the open market, with a $25,000-$50,000 signing bonus.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts

To see the shape of our WR core, it screams of complete  and total mismanagement of McBean.... To watch Foster beat his man time and time again only to show zero ability to catch the ball, even when perfectly thrown is maddening to the 10th degree. O Reilly looked good and played thru preseason hurt. Holmes sucks, Foster no hands ability to track the ball, Jones MIA week after week. Clay inconsistent. Benjamin, is fat, lazy and wastes tremendous size play after play. Sad group we have indeed.

14 hours ago, OrediggerPoke said:

I believe Gentry led the Bears in catches and receiving yards in the preseason.  He has proven at least that he belongs on an NFL field IMO. 

Preseason...who cares about preseason? Peterman did great in preseason...so you want to start him again because he did great in preseason? Preseason?

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, PolishPrince said:

I support bringing on Gentry. I would also like to see us bring Deon Thompson back.... Good speed, can stretch the field... and actually catches a damn ball

Did you mean Deonte Thompson? He's in Dallas right now and had the dropsies yesterday. He's streaky, has stretches where he plays well and stretches where he looks completely unreliable.

14 hours ago, OrediggerPoke said:

In my opinion  the Bills need a sure handed receiver that Allen trusts with his fastballs. 

Solution: Sign Tanner Gentry off the Bears practice squad. The guy isn’t blazing fast but catches everything.  I call him a taller Wes Welker. Josh Allen and Tanner Gentry spent their summers together in Laramie running routes and playing catch on a daily basis.  They have an amazing rapport.  Gentry rarely (if ever) dropped an on target Allen pass. 

Bills should act quickly.  Anthony Miller was hurt today for the Bears and Gentry is a possible signee to the active roster. 

giphy.gif

I think there are a few reasons the WR position seems to be "unaddressed" right meow. 

One, I think they expected a lot more from KB. Allen has no problem giving him chances to make a play, he just isn't making them.

Two, I believe they expected Zay Jones to step up and get better. They talked about his attitude being more focused and whatnot yet it hasn't translated to the field. It's early still, but so far he hasn't looked like the type of player you grab at 37th overall. Maybe they haven't tapped into his skill set in the right way just yet but if he doesn't turn some type of corner this season, he's gonna have an uphill battle to make the roster next year.

Three, I believe Daboll's extensive use of TE's and RB's in the passing game is another reason they haven't done much at WR. Either it's by design or Allen has just been really good at finding the open man but he hit, what, like 11 different receivers vs. LAC and I think like, 9 vs. MIN. Daboll's offense is founded upon the mismatches from week to week and some weeks they might have the upper hand with the WRs, other weeks they may look to exploit defenders that can't cover TEs and RBs very well.

If the Bills felt Gentry would really help this team, they could've put in a waiver claim for him but they didn't. It's clear that they don't view him as an upgrade over anyone they currently have.

27 minutes ago, krf139 said:

I’ve heard enough about this guy.  This is the NFL - not Wyoming.  The guy wasn’t drafted for a reason.  

That's certainly a reasonable opinion and is the thinking that allows these 'diamond in the rough' type players to exist.  He certainly does not have the game breaking speed that you would usually want to draft a guy out of Wyoming at the WR position.  The last receiver drafted from Wyoming a few years ago, Robert Herron, certainly had world class speed but he couldn't hold on to the ball, had a case of the drops and flamed out in less than 6 months.  On paper, I would have rather had Herron.  Watching the 2 guys actually play, I would rather have Gentry in a landslide.

The fact of the matter is that Gentry is still hanging around long after many of those guys in his same draft class that were drafted are long out of the league.  There is a reason for that as well.

This has been going on since the moment they traded Watkins. They look completely lost at the position. People say they have a plan, the WRs, Oline, and despite how well they played, the Dline look like they have absolutely no plan. I don't understand how the WR position hasn't been addressed in the off season.